Song sort order problems, suddenly
I know this has been discussed many times on the forum, and I've read all those threads, but this is very weird...
I had all my music that I was putting together on my HT (home theater) machine in my living room. As I've been working on my skin design and setting up the software installation on my car pc, I've been using the music archive on the HT machine to listen to, add to playlists in RR, etc... Using the !SELECT+ command, all the files were always added in proper alphabetical order. (My directories are set up as:
artist - album (so they sit alphanumerically)
and within each folder the tracks are set up as:
etc... (so they sit alphanumerically)
This morning I put my carPC on the network and transferred approx 18Gb of music from the HT machine onto the carPC.
Now, suddenly, whenever I use the same !SELECT+ command, the music is added completely out of order, in some cases in 100% reverse order (i.e. folders beginning with 'W' are added first and folders beginning with 'A' are added last...)
I then changed my !SELECT+ button to:
and it does re-sort the files into the proper alphabetical order, but the highlight/selection-bar skips down to the album which would have been the first one listed in the wrong order... i.e. if the directory contains albums which start with 'A' all the way down to 'W', and they show up as 'W' first, all the way down to 'A', then the playlist now gets re-sorted properly as 'A' down to 'W', but the first highlighted selection after the list is added is the 'W' album, so it's still showing up as the first album even after the re-sort. In other words, the selection bar which should start at the very first album in the list (A) now starts at the first track of the last album in the list (W)...
The funny thing is that if I run a DOS Shell and do a DIR command on the music directory on the HT machine, the results come back as A down to W. If I do a DIR on the same directory on the new carPC copies of the music, they show up as W down to A, exactly as RR is now showing them to me. So something changed in the "Last written" time, or "Last Accessed" time of the files when I copied them over, and the DIR command is now showing them in that order (not alphabetical).
So, if I set up RR to load the source music from a fileshare on the HT machine, the files get added properly, in alphabetical order. The same files, copied to the carPC, and loaded by RR locally on the carPC machine, are completely out of whack.
I know I can build the playlist outside of RR and load it in RR, but I wish I could figure out why the files loaded properly on one machine, but as soon as I copied them to the actual machine I'll be using in the car, they're completely messed up.