Guino: Add to High CPU Load FAQ
Guino: I've got some instructions that I think that you should add to the High CPU Load, Buttons Fail to Respond, Flash Issues/Spins too Fast ?
I experienced a high CPU load when using a skin with Flash. I followed your instructions per the FAQ. I updated Flash by downloading the full_flashplayer_win_ie file. (NOTE: RR cannot be running as the shell. You must be running explorer.exe as the shell. No exceptions!) I still experience high CPU usage. Then I followed the steps using Flash.zip. However, when I went to regsvr32 flash.ocx I got an error that said something about:
A quick Google search lead me to HERE that basically said there was an access violation in the registry and I needed to figure out which key was giving me problems so I could grant myself permission to the key. Per their instructions, I downloaded RegMon32 from Sysinternals (which by the way makes some great little freeware applications that do not need to be installed to use!; check them out.)
DllRegisterServer in flash.ocx failed.
Return code was: 0x8002801c
Because I ran into this problem I want to elobrate on the steps that I used to correct this problem. The above link does not go in to very good detail as how to find the problem keys. Here are my suggested steps that I used:
1. Download and run RegMon32
2. Hit CTRL+A to turn off Auto-Scroll
3. Hit CTRL+L to bring up the filter/highlight options
4. Next to Include type: regsvr32
5. Next to highlight type: ACCESS DENIED
6. Click Start > Run and enter CMD and press enter
7. Type CD\Windows\System32
8. Type regsvr32 flash.ocx
9. If unsuccessful, switch over to RegMon and find the first entry that is highlighted and double click on it
10. Regedit will open to the appropriate key.
11. Click Edit > Permissions and select Everyone in the Group or usernames box
12. Check the box that says Allow next to Full Control and hit OK.
13. Close Regedit
14. Switch back to the command prompt and hit the up arrow to repeat the last command and press enter (or just retype regmon32 flash.ocx)
15. Repeat steps 9-14 until you get a successful response. (I personally had to do it three times before it worked for me).
My CPU times when from 86% when idle to 6% (average) after completing these steps. I feel that it should be added to the FAQ because there is nothing in there saying when the regsvr is unsuccessful.