FAQ Submission: How to fix strange characters in ID3 tags
If you're getting strange characters (ÿþF, ÿþL, ÿþL) in RoadRunner, it's most likely due to Unicode strings contained within the MP3's. I suspect this is caused by some ID3 tagging software.
Regardless, here's how to fix it...
1) Download ID3-TagIT
2) Open up the directory with the offending files. Note: everything will look normal inside of ID3TagIT because it properly parses unicode strings. Don't worry about this.
3) Hit CTRL+A to select all the files to fix.
4) Pull down Extended Functions --> Change Tag Ver. x text encoding.
5) Choose "ANSI Encoding" in the options that appear.
6) That's it. You may have to separately edit the Version 1 and Version 2 tags, but by default ID3 Tag IT is synchronizing Version 1 and Version 2 tagging (Options pulldown).
Hope this helps!