This is not working for me...Are those the only steps you took? What options do you have under your music settings as far as displaying ID3 tags?
If you're getting strange characters (ÿþF, ÿþL, ÿþL) in RoadRunner, it's most likely due to Unicode strings contained within the MP3's. I suspect this is caused by some ID3 tagging software.
Regardless, here's how to fix it...
1) Download ID3-TagIT
2) Open up the directory with the offending files. Note: everything will look normal inside of ID3TagIT because it properly parses unicode strings. Don't worry about this.
3) Hit CTRL+A to select all the files to fix.
4) Pull down Extended Functions --> Change Tag Ver. x text encoding.
5) Choose "ANSI Encoding" in the options that appear.
6) That's it. You may have to separately edit the Version 1 and Version 2 tags, but by default ID3 Tag IT is synchronizing Version 1 and Version 2 tagging (Options pulldown).
Hope this helps!
I also made sure that I viewed both Version 1 and Version 2 of the tags in ID3 Tag. It's under the View menu and there's a toolbar button.
In addition, it's somewhat not obvious, but remember to Save the changes. Hit CTRL+S or use the pulldown menu functions. MP3's which are waiting to be updated are highlighted in Yellow.
After using the Convert to ANSI function described previously, it should work fine.
Try this again and if it still doesn't work, i'll look at my RR settings.
Google for MP3nity it does everything for you on the fly. Worth $19.95
Thank you, solved my problems!
Anyone know how to do this in Tag&Rename?
Nevermind... I managed to find it. For anyone else that is interested:
After I edit mp3 files tags with Tag&Rename some programs can't show this tag at all or show it incorrectly (Tag&Rename show tag data ok). What can I do?
* Most likely this programs can't read Unicode tags, see Tag&Rename options -> "Tags" -> "Write Unicode data into ID3v2 tags" – uncheck this option. To re save tags without Unicode just select files in Tag&Rename file list and press "Save tags" button "Multi file tag editor" tab - this will rewrite tags and remove Unicode data from its. (See also "Notes about Unicode support" topic in program help).
This might also be useful to some:
I try to use Tag&Rename with files which contain Unicode data in file names and tags. However, when I looked at this files, Tag&Rename only displays the pipe symbol, e.g. ||||| |||||| |||||.mp3. Any suggestions please.
* Font used in Tag&Rename interface don't have characters of this language, so go to "Program options" -> "General" -> "Interface font" and change it to font which support this language, it you have MS Office installed than change it to "Arial Unicode MS" - this font have support for most languages.
all information found here: http://www.softpointer.com/tr_faq.htm
sorry, but this is not a solution - at least if you have already lots of files.
Why not changing the program to read it right?
I am working currently on a plugin which provides the id3v2 tag information without garbage (unicode byte order mark). It uses the audiogenie.ocx and wrapps currently only artist,album and title - but i will add more...