Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: How do you get multichannel sound in SAT? Line in plugin?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    161

    How do you get multichannel sound in SAT? Line in plugin?

    I am starting this thread to try to get a response to a question I posed in another thread where I am trying to get answers for more media types. Anyway, my problem is that although MP3s and movies appear to play out of the front, rear, center and sub speakers of my car as I'd hoped based on 5.1 encoding or my soundcard cloning the channels of stereo MP3s, my SIRIUS audio only comes out of my speakers. This occurs regardless of whether or not I am using the standard analog line in connection or the TOSLINK connection options available on the RS232 Sirius connector I got from rush112.net mentioned in these forums. Because the behavior is otherwise find (mute, unmute, standby, resume, etc.) I never thought about trying the LINE IN plugin. My initial reseach seems to indicate that this is the only way I'll ever have a chance to get sound out of more speakers when I am listening to Sirius.

    Has anyone gotten multichannel or cloned channel sound from Sirius in RoadRunner?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate wysocki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    467
    Depends on what soundcard you're using. For example, the Creative Extigy will upmix a stereo source to 5.1 output whereas the newer Audigy will not. What soundcard are you using? Check its specs to see if it can upmix a stereo source to 5.1.
    Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by wysocki
    Depends on what soundcard you're using. For example, the Creative Extigy will upmix a stereo source to 5.1 output whereas the newer Audigy will not. What soundcard are you using? Check its specs to see if it can upmix a stereo source to 5.1.
    I have used the mobo's onboard ALC650 (NForce3 150 chipset), an Envy24 card, an Audigy 2 NX, and now a Turtle Beach Montego 7.1 DDL. I am having some success now having played with the line in plugin and modifying the string to indicate more channels, but it's not there yet. I don't understand why soundcards capable of doing 5.1 or better wouldn't just upmix ALL inputs it received in stereo by default, and allow you to disable that if you liked. Nor do I understand completely how to get the line in thing done right, but it appears much of the info is in the forums here, although it is quite scattered.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    161
    FWIW - I have used RR now with and without the Line In plugin using the instructions strewn about the board, and the effect is the same. I am only getting sound out of my center/sub channel. It appears that there is no way to get the SAT source to properly do multichannel sound. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pomona, CA
    Posts
    456
    This has been covered before. Frodo's app will do it, as it buffers/records a few seconds and makes the soundcard think that it is upmixxing a recorded track vs the line input. It will only work with an app that records for a few seconds, or with a soundcard that can do realtime processing/upmixxing (dolby digital live cards, for example)

    This is my understanding, at least... correct me if I am wrong.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    102
    Is there a definitive list of soundcards that will automatically upmix a stereo line-in (to whatever - my preference would be 4.0, but also 4.1 or 5.1).

    I know I could download spec sheets and check (and if the answer is no, then that's what I'll do), but it seems worth asking to make sure I'm not duplicating something that has already been done.

    Ian

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by sivart321
    This has been covered before. Frodo's app will do it, as it buffers/records a few seconds and makes the soundcard think that it is upmixxing a recorded track vs the line input. It will only work with an app that records for a few seconds, or with a soundcard that can do realtime processing/upmixxing (dolby digital live cards, for example)

    This is my understanding, at least... correct me if I am wrong.
    I dunno if you mean that by Frodo's app you mean Frodoplayer, or if you meant Guino, or if you meant the line in plugin (which was developed by neither of them, I believe), but I can say that with or without the line in plugin, all 3 cards, including my dolby digital live card - fail to upmix this source via line in. I know I am doing it properly, at least fundamentally, because I heard the echo Guino mentioned before I properly muted the channel due to the simultaneous record/play issue...

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodkapete
    Is there a definitive list of soundcards that will automatically upmix a stereo line-in (to whatever - my preference would be 4.0, but also 4.1 or 5.1).

    I know I could download spec sheets and check (and if the answer is no, then that's what I'll do), but it seems worth asking to make sure I'm not duplicating something that has already been done.

    Ian
    That's another thing I'd have liked out of this exercise, but there has been very little response as you can see. FWIW, the Creative cards with CMSS, the Montego 7.1 DDL, and the Auzentech Xplosion and Mystique say they are capable, but I get this problem on the SAT/line in. On other media, say MP3, the DSP does seem to upmix as desired.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pomona, CA
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by vettejock99
    I dunno if you mean that by Frodo's app you mean Frodoplayer, or if you meant Guino, or if you meant the line in plugin (which was developed by neither of them, I believe), but I can say that with or without the line in plugin, all 3 cards, including my dolby digital live card - fail to upmix this source via line in. I know I am doing it properly, at least fundamentally, because I heard the echo Guino mentioned before I properly muted the channel due to the simultaneous record/play issue...
    I meant frodo's satelite radio app. I am using an autiotrak prodigy 7.1lt with his XM app and it takes the 2 channel stereo line in source, and sends it to all 5 channels in my car - front, rear, and sub.

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    102
    I have another question - is this a Sat radio specific problem, or a general line-in problem?

    If it occurs with all line-in sources, it would indicate a hardware limitation

    If it's Sat source only, it would indicate a software issue.

    Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Easy way to mute/unmute line in ?
    By liquid_smoke in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 01:02 AM
  2. winamp's 2.8x out_ds plugin quality fix
    By magnetik in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2002, 05:31 PM
  3. Need advice on which sound card to use
    By mtmsol in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2001, 12:39 PM
  4. amplified sound or line out???
    By moahdib in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2001, 06:48 PM
  5. Help With Lorty's Plugin
    By SexyCompGeek in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2000, 12:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •