Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Vista experiences anyone?

  1. #31
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
    based on vista recommended hardware and potential driver issues... I will wait a long time before even looking at it... maybe when XP goes off interactive support
    It'll be until SP1 at least for me...From what I hear... XP will still be interactively supported until 2009.....

    Good enough for me... But I'll be Duel booting my computer... MAC OS X and Windows XP (whenever I might need it....)

    Rafster

  2. #32
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    63
    I just installed Vista Home Premium on my EPIA M10000 and it wasn't happy. It ran OK but it was just sluggish.

    It probably would have worked OK, but the real kicker is that I couldn't get the touchscreen drivers to work.

    I really wanted to run Vista Mediacenter in the car - it's awesome. Centrafuge and/or MCE 2005 it will be.

  3. #33
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by danwheeler View Post
    I just installed Vista Home Premium on my EPIA M10000 and it wasn't happy. It ran OK but it was just sluggish.

    It probably would have worked OK, but the real kicker is that I couldn't get the touchscreen drivers to work.

    I really wanted to run Vista Mediacenter in the car - it's awesome. Centrafuge and/or MCE 2005 it will be.
    The EPIA's video card isn't powerfull enough to handle Vista Premium...

    My TI 4200 would even have porblems... and that's a 128MB 8X AGP Card...



    Rafster

  4. #34
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    57
    you basically need a gamer pc to run it. Sad, really... people everywhere are now buying those $600 laptops with 512 ram and slow hard drives, celeron chips... and the darn things hardly ran xp, let alone all the crap they're gonna install on it.

    now look at em. full fledged bloatware, and the things can hardly boot, brand new.

  5. #35
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by netman86 View Post
    you basically need a gamer pc to run it. Sad, really... people everywhere are now buying those $600 laptops with 512 ram and slow hard drives, celeron chips... and the darn things hardly ran xp, let alone all the crap they're gonna install on it.

    now look at em. full fledged bloatware, and the things can hardly boot, brand new.
    Every Windows get's slower and more bloated....

    If 98 came in a NT kernel... it would be great...

    I should have just stuck with 2k...

    But... hell... MAc OS on a PC runs SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nicely!!

    Rafster

  6. #36
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    63
    I finally realized last night that I was trying to install the touchscreen drivers for a touchscreen I didn't even own. I thought I had a VM80 but I dont. It's some other "ELO" model I got from mini-box.com

    Anyway, because of this i'm going to give Vista another try on my M10K. I think I can get the drivers to work and it was running well enough on the M10K when I did install it.

    And as for Windows Vista being bloated - well, people will always say that especially those who don't want to pony up for some current hardware. It runs great on a current PC. If you want to keep using your 486, then stick with Windows 95. Progress needs to occur at all levels.

  7. #37
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by danwheeler View Post
    And as for Windows Vista being bloated - well, people will always say that especially those who don't want to pony up for some current hardware. It runs great on a current PC. If you want to keep using your 486, then stick with Windows 95. Progress needs to occur at all levels.
    I have an Athalon 64 3600 with 2GB Ram...

    Vista would run well on my computer... The only thing it would have dire problems with is Aero.... I have an 8x AGP Nvidia GeForce4 TI4200...

    It has 128MB and Vista Upgrade advisor said... noooo... you need a faster/better card...



    Rafster

  8. #38
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,268
    Blog Entries
    1
    I knew this would come up
    Im currently playing around with vlite, its the same deal as nlite for XP, allows you to slim down vista to a 600 mb image. Im testing things right now in vmware, if i can get a decent vista image with drivers working ill run vista on my m10k. I wonder if EWF will work with vista? Im hacking the ***** out of vista build 2600 to see whats possible. Test test test. . . .


    I am a perfectionist when it comes to the OS image, my current XP embedded install is under 200 mb. I would love to have the aero interface running on a car PC, say what you will i like the aero interface.

    Oh yeah, don't buy MS code!
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  9. #39
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by blk02si View Post
    I knew this would come up
    Im currently playing around with vlite, its the same deal as nlite for XP, allows you to slim down vista to a 600 mb image. Im testing things right now in vmware, if i can get a decent vista image with drivers working ill run vista on my m10k. I wonder if EWF will work with vista? Im hacking the ***** out of vista build 2600 to see whats possible. Test test test. . . .


    I am a perfectionist when it comes to the OS image, my current XP embedded install is under 200 mb. I would love to have the aero interface running on a car PC, say what you will i like the aero interface.

    Oh yeah, don't buy MS code!
    Oh, don't get me wrong....
    Aero's nice but... again MS pulled a "let's make this sooo bloated no one can use it"...

    I just think it's bad that the only thing keeping me from using Aero is my TI4200 with 128MB...

    Rafster

  10. #40
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,268
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your card is pretty old, vista/aero ran fine on my $50 geforce fx5200 128mb ram. Vista runs really good on my desktop with geforce fx5900 256mb. Im trying to get the vista image small enough that lower end PCs can run aero. Fully stripped down vista is about 600mb and provides the same functionality as a full xp install. Still testing for minimum requirements. . .
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Similar Threads

  1. Vista
    By naristov in forum WinNT Based
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 06:23 AM
  2. ITX board and CPU that will run Vista
    By danwheeler in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
  3. Running StreetDeck under Windows Vista
    By terrygold in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
  4. Review: Windows Vista as an OS choice?
    By Splash-X in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 11:58 AM
  5. Windows Vista W/nView!
    By 97GST in forum Operating System Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 08:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •