Personally I think the bigger issue is the registering / re-registering of dll's when you change skins. Is it possible to standardise those "required" dll's and have them placed in the RR folder and registered only once so that all plugins can utilise the same dll ?
I don't seem to be understanding the issue.. why would changing skins require you to re-register the dll??? The registration needs to be made only once to query the first couple mp3 songs in your folder to search for artist name. Once it is registered, it shouldn't need to be done again even if you re-run the scripts.
I forgot to mention that there are many versions of cddbcontrol.dll. I believe i am using the latest one from AOL. If you use older versions you might run into script errors. I can't make this plugin compatible with every other plugin out there that uses the same dll.. that's asking a bit too much when I have no control over what dll each plugin uses.
It not so much about you making coverflow compatible with every other plugin out there. but rather skinners agreeing on a standard place for dll files - so that every plugin can use the same version of the dll.
For example, if I release a skin with coverflow in it and I have the cddbcontrol.dll registered in a folder say "rr\coverflow\cddbcontrol.dll" and all is fine. Now if you release a new skin with coverflow and you happen to have the directories as "RR\Plugins\Coverflow\cddbcontrol.dll" then don't I need to re-register your version of the dll to get it to work properly with your skin ?
Thanks for spending some more time on this, Moahdib. For what it's worth, I tried the new flash and it doesn't help with the first song or the CPU usage. Also, for some reason it always uses a white background regardless of the background chosen in coverflow.ini.
Moahdib et al,
I'm having a hell of a time with this plug... wondering if you can help. I'm using it inside the pre-release of Sonique Evolution skin. With the first beta of that skin, I had no problem building the XML files after registering the dll (I use builder-artist only), and everything worked fine. Yesterday, a new beta of the skin was released, so I downloaded that. With the new skin, I had to rebuild my coverflow library, but now it will not rebuild. It will get to the letter Z, and then crash (a Windows "Send Error Report" crash prompt comes up). I've tried it about a zillion times now with no luck. I re-registered the dll just to be sure. No luck.
Find attached the Windows crash log. I hope there is something in it that makes sense to one of you guys?
Thanks in advance!
Kbreeden, thanks for the reply.
Interestingly, no, that exact line as shown in post #1 is not in the skin's exectbl, BUT, I went back and looked at the exectbl of the 1st beta, and it wasn't in there either. And everything worked fine then.
Nevermind, I figured it out.
If you have more than one instance of coverflow in the Skins folder, you're hosed. I removed the old one (from Sonic's older beta), and voila, good to go.
Now that I have coverflow working, I see what might be a bug while browsing my albums. I've downloaded your latest .swf from above, so I'm not sure if this problem existed with the previous one:
When I'm browsing by artist, the last couple albums of any given letter are being pulled in by the ALBUM name instead of the Artist name. For example, in my "#" folder, all my numbered artists are there, but then the last album in that group is "52nd Street" by Billy Joel. That album does NOT show up in the B's. My other Billy Joel albums do though.