Browse by Cover (Coverflow) - Updated 3/17/08
Coverflow (moahdib's version)
3/17/08 - v5 : Version that has a scroller to the side of the list. Might be very buggy since it was heavily modified to fit the needs of my skin but you're all welcome to try it.
11/16/07 - v4: Yet another update to the scripts.. just download scripts.zip and update your files. This should have genre builder fixed.
11/13/07 - re-download the zip file (coverflow-moah v4.zip). Scripts and DLL were updated.
11/8/07 v4.0 (Finally...the real thing)
** The coverflow.html file might give you an error regarding AC_ActiveContent.js. If that happens try opening the swf directly in I.E. by right clicking on it and Open With Internet Explorer.
Pictures below also have some explanation of the layout and what the buttons do.
- Copy coverflow.swf and coverflow.ini to your skin folder.
- Copy coverflow folder to the skin folder.
- Edit coverflow.ini to your liking. ( if you are using builder-artist.exe, change genreswitch to "off", "on" for builder-genre.exe)
- Add exectbl.ini content to your skin exectbl.ini file.
- Run builder-artist.exe (if your albums are organized by artist name), or builder-genre.exe if they are organized in genre folders. (read below for more details). You will be asked to enter the path to your music the first time you run it. If you need to change it, edit builder.ini.
- Create your skin file by adding coverflow.swf.
- For a quick test after you build your files, open coverflow.html with your browser. If you get an error about AC_ActiveContent.js, open coverflow.swf directly in Internet Explorer ( Right click -> Open with Internet Explorer). You can browse through your collection as well as play mp3 files via flash internal mp3 player.
- Add these lines to your skin file:
-reflection changing this to off will make the whole thing a lot faster bc it won't have the reflection image of the albums.
-background is the pic you want loaded when it loads. (in backgrounds folder)
-albumartalpha - transparency setting from 0-100 for the album art cover.
- playlistalpha- transparency for the playlist from 0-100.
- flip direction- off/on this will change the direction in which the playlist will turn when it closes back to the album art.
- flipspeed- anywhere from 0 to 100. Speed the album will flip over.
- genreswitch- on if you are using the builder-genre.exe and off if you use the builder-artist.exe. Mostly depended on how your music is organized in your folders.
Well its been a while and this is a HUGE update. Let me see if i can list the changes:
- Everything is integrated in the flash. Just embed it using the F label.
- Albums can be "flipped" (iphone style) to display the songs list.
- The songs list is scrollable just like in the iphone. Just drag it with your finger to move it. Clicking on a song will play the song and load the rest of the album. Dragging the list from left to right, takes you to the bottom of the list. Opposite will take you to the top.
- Pressing down on the top left button (Genre or Artist) for 3 seconds, will rebuild your xml's and reload the skin automatically.
- Settings can be set via coverflow.ini such as transparency and album reflection.
Turning reflection off and leaving transparency at 100% for album and playlist vastly improves performance for those with slower carPCs.
- Selectable background image.
-XML's and M3U are created in UNICODE, but reading mp3 tags from foreign language files will break the builder.
- The xml's can be created in two ways. Alphabetically or by Genre. For the genre builder to work correctly you will need to have your albums in genre folders. If you have them in genre folders, you can switch via top left button from Genre to Artist (2 sets of XML's will be created).
If they are organized only by artist name, only one set of xml's are built and you can't switch to GENRE list.
- Support for albums in mp3, wma and flac formats.
- Automatic registration of cddbcontrol.dll if not already done so.
If you have any special albums that doesn't display correctly such as those in Greek, Asian, Arabic, Russian languages, it is because those languages need to be embedded in flash directly. The only ones embedded at the moment is English, Greek, and Latin. I may acomodate special requests and build swf specifically to your language.
Few more things to keep in mind:
- The builder specifically searches for folder.jpg in your albums. In case your songs are in CD folders (CD1, CD2), put the folder.jpg in the directory above the music files. Or you will have two identical albums one with CD1 songs and another with CD2.
-xmlparser.exe is specifically for creating artist alphabetical xml's FROM the genre xml's. It is called automatically when you use builder-genre.exe
- You can open the swf directly in a browser window and play songs!!! Not much control over the playlsit tho. It will just play the song you click on then move on to next on the list. No playback controls either. I did this bc i wanted to run it on a personal webserver to play my music wherever I am.
- I recommend using Tag and Rename program to fix all your mp3 files. You can use it to create id3 tags and get albumart from amazon.com automatically.
Forgot to include CDDBcontrol files for the builder to work. Download cddbcontrol.zip , unzip to road runner directory in a folder and run register.bat.
You only need to do this once.
- builder has been updated to remove certain characters from album and artist tags. (< > / \ % $ # @ ^ & etc..). This was causing the app to stop working.
- "genre" buttons now has a slider with limitless # of buttons.
- genre.txt format has been changed.
Remove the old version and/or overwrite with this.
*** the coverflow2.swf is another version which has a toggle button for the genre menu to make more space for the album art.
FYI Old thread is here:
Since it was in the wrong section and I've been updating this a LOT, i decided to start a new thread here.
There are several improvements in this version.
- No need for playlist m3u's in each album folder.
- Artist and album information is gathered by reading id3 tags. Make sure you have them set at least on the first mp3 file.
Characters such as /,\,<.>,? in the folder name and as well as in the id3 tags might "break" the app, so watch out for these.
- No need for loadlist.exe anymore. The load album call is done inside flash.
- All albumlist xml's are created automatically.
- Genre.txt, which has the button names in flash, is created automatically also.
Make sure all your album folders have a folder.jpg. In case of multiple CD's, place it in the main folder.
This is meant for playlists that are organized by genre in this format:
Asterisk indicates where your folder.jpg should be located.
Copy skin files to your skin directory and the coverflow folder as well.
Make sure you rename or get rid of the older coverflow version if you have this installed.
In your exectbl.ini in the skin directory, put these lines:
The builder.exe will scan your music path directory set in RR. It will ask for the subdirectory level your albums are located.
In the case above, its 3.
Once the scan is done, you will get a message. After this you can edit genre.txt to your liking.
genre1 is linked to albumlist1.xml and so on... if you don't want a specific genre in there just rename the xml to the corresponding number.
Add / replace menu.txt in FSR skin with this:
Double clicking on top of the album selected will load the album and take you to audio player screen.
Download, read the instructions, install and enjoy.