Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Coverplay - an alternate coverflow clone

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    242

    Coverplay - an alternate coverflow clone

    I've come across this windows cloverflow clone from Clem @ http://labs.beffa.org. Its an exe which I believe is written in C and has very basic features (scroll forward/backward through albums using left/right arrow keys, spacer bar shuffles album selection) and controls winamp to play a selected album cover. Its great because its simple, i.e. no flash = no constant high cpu usage, no xml files but it probably needs a bit more tweaking to make it really great in our cars. Unfortunately, Clem is not further developing it as I've spoken with him about this. I'm trying to get a few pointers from him using the sendkeys though. Right now the program:

    1) Looks for any *.jpg file in a specified music directory and displays each as album art (might work with png and gif, I don't know haven't fully tested)
    2) Accepts keyboard left/right arrow keys and mouse wheel for scrolling
    3) Has built in shuffle for albums
    4) Directly loads songs of selected album as new playlist and starts playing in winamp
    5) Has lower cpu usage than flash coverflow clones
    6) Comprise of only a few files, small size

    A few limitations:
    1) Not really resizable
    2) I cant' pass sendkey messages to the app to use with buttons in RR
    3) With lots of albums, takes a bit to scroll from 1st to last album
    4) Studders a bit with transitions between albums (again with many albums)
    5) Doesn't enter subdirectories (kinda stinks for you genre categorized music peeps)

    For me, this is actually pretty close to what I want in my car, something not too complicated that works quickly and is practical for selecting albums. I've already integrated into my skin as an embedded app using the "A" tag and window name "CoverPlay v0.1 alpha" and its working fine.

    Try it out yourself and see what you think:

    1) Download here:
    http://labs.beffa.org/coverplay/
    2) set the music path in the ini
    3) set the path to winamp in the ini
    4) run coverplay.exe
    5) use the left/right arrows to scroll through albums, use space bar to shuffle albums and hit enter to select album and send to winamp for playing!

  2. #2
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,168
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by juve021 View Post
    I've come across this windows cloverflow clone from Clem @ http://labs.beffa.org. Its an exe which I believe is written in C and has very basic features (scroll forward/backward through albums using left/right arrow keys, spacer bar shuffles album selection) and controls winamp to play a selected album cover. Its great because its simple, i.e. no flash = no constant high cpu usage, no xml files but it probably needs a bit more tweaking to make it really great in our cars. Unfortunately, Clem is not further developing it as I've spoken with him about this. I'm trying to get a few pointers from him using the sendkeys though. Right now the program:

    1) Looks for any *.jpg file in a specified music directory and displays each as album art (might work with png and gif, I don't know haven't fully tested)
    2) Accepts keyboard left/right arrow keys and mouse wheel for scrolling
    3) Has built in shuffle for albums
    4) Directly loads songs of selected album as new playlist and starts playing in winamp
    5) Has lower cpu usage than flash coverflow clones
    6) Comprise of only a few files, small size

    A few limitations:
    1) Not really resizable
    2) I cant' pass sendkey messages to the app to use with buttons in RR
    3) With lots of albums, takes a bit to scroll from 1st to last album
    4) Studders a bit with transitions between albums (again with many albums)

    For me, this is actually pretty close to what I want in my car, something not too complicated that works quickly and is practical for selecting albums. I've already integrated into my skin as an embedded app using the "A" tag and window name "CoverPlay v0.1 alpha" and its working fine.

    Try it out yourself and see what you think:

    1) Download here:
    http://labs.beffa.org/coverplay/
    2) set the music path in the ini
    3) set the path to winamp in the ini
    4) run coverplay.exe
    5) use the left/right arrows to scroll through albums, use space bar to shuffle albums and hit enter to select album and send to winamp for playing!


    you forgot the biggest limitation of all.. it doesnt enter subdirectories.. which is gonna make it pretty pointless for me and countless others who have are music in directory structures. Its also SUPER slow for me.. slower than the flash program ever was..and i'm only goin thru my rock genre in testing.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
    you forgot the biggest limitation of all.. it doesnt enter subdirectories.. which is gonna make it pretty pointless for me and countless others who have are music in directory structures. Its also SUPER slow for me.. slower than the flash program ever was..and i'm only goin thru my rock genre in testing.
    Yeah, I thought about you guys and your genre style music collection. I'm sure that you could make something up to modify the ini file tho.

    Slow? Really? I've tried it on my 3 computers and it runs a ok. What are the specs of your PC? Hows your CPU usage?

    Another thing I've noticed about the studdering, once you go through the albums the first time, scrolling through subsequent times is alot smoother, at least for me it is.

  4. #4
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,168
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by juve021 View Post
    Yeah, I thought about you guys and your genre style music collection. I'm sure that you could make something up to modify the ini file tho.

    Slow? Really? I've tried it on my 3 computers and it runs a ok. What are the specs of your PC? Hows your CPU usage?

    Another thing I've noticed about the studdering, once you go through the albums the first time, scrolling through subsequent times is alot smoother, at least for me it is.
    does the program read the ini in real time or just once during start up?

    I'm using a AMD running at 2.8ghz with a gig of ram.. my Rock genre folder has about 20GB worth of music in it. CPU spikes at 98% when the albums are moving and it takes roughly 10 seconds to get to the next album once the arrow key is pressed
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  5. #5
    FLAC Griff1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,052
    Its just the same thing i refered to in this post = FSR Skin - Released months ago when i was trying to get moahdib to work on the other 1.

    I don't think its a viable alternative to the flash 1.
    P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
    I'm using a AMD running at 2.8ghz with a gig of ram.. my Rock genre folder has about 20GB worth of music in it. CPU spikes at 98% when the albums are moving and it takes roughly 10 seconds to get to the next album once the arrow key is pressed
    Strange, I've tested on my car pc P4 1.6 with 1 gig ram and I have about 30 gb of music in my "albums" folder. Works ok for me!

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff1 View Post
    Its just the same thing i refered to in this post = FSR Skin - Released months ago when i was trying to get moahdib to work on the other 1.

    I don't think its a viable alternative to the flash 1.
    Crap Griff, I didn't see your post! Woops.

    Well, until the flash one is working MUCH BETTER than what is working for me now, this one actually works well for my needs.

  8. #8
    FLAC Griff1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by juve021 View Post
    Crap Griff, I didn't see your post! Woops.

    Well, until the flash one is working MUCH BETTER than what is working for me now, this one actually works well for my needs.
    That doesn't matter Juve,i'm not gonna burn you at the stake for not reading everything i post,lol.
    I was just hoping it was gonna be something new thats all,it probably does have potential if you can get the source code,did you ask for it?
    P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

  9. #9
    FLAC
    Auto Apps:loading...
    EL CAMINO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    upland california us
    Posts
    1,283
    is not that bad, the only mayor issue is the sub folder. works ok. i bet any via m10k will be capable to handle it. mine does. some bugs in it, will see how it goes.

    EDIT:this is how i use it in my skin for now(testing: "next", "prev", "jumpt to", "sub folder" working. database builder works 100%) TRY IT
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •