Vag-Scope Heads Up Display / Front End
Please note: I am not monitoring this thread. It has simply become too hard to cover all the conversations in multiple forums.
I generally keep up to date on the thread at this forum:
Please feel free to contact me through that thread or via PM on TDI Club.
For those of you who I mistakenly ignored (because I was not monitoring this forum) I apologize.
Ok, I have pretty much finished the software. Below is a screenshot of the RR vagScope skin:
The full skin for this can be found here:
The install file for the VagScope code that is needed to run the skin can be found here:
The Code is in C#. All code and Project Studio projects can be found here:
Ok, now that all the links are there here are some notes on it:
1) This would best be termed as "beta". It will have glitches, and it will change a lot. Keep checking back for notes on changes, if I change it I will replace the file on the server.
2) A known bug is that the MPG on the left is not valid until after 2 minutes of runtime. It is an average over the two minutes, and until all that data is collected the values will be incorrect. The MPG to the right is always accurate and is the instantaneous MPG over the last two seconds. These times may change as I refine what is useful :)
3) Those of you who are coders:: please help me debug this. I know there are bugs, specifically I know of one instance where it crashes and I have not been able to replicate the conditions that cause it. If you figure out where the crash is coming from (it has only happened 3 or 4 times) please let me know!
4) It is dependent upon the reliability of vag-com (not very good). To deal with the fact that vag-com will sometimes fail to communicate, it detects the lack of incoming data. Don't stop and restart vag com for it, the program will detect the freeze of data after 20 seconds and do this itself. The exception to this rule is if communications have been established and then they freeze. If this is the case then you will need to hit back on the skin and then go back in. I intend to detect this in the future and restart vag-com, I just have not put the code in yet.
now for the install instructions, they are not too hard:
1) extract all the zip files
2) Install vag-com from Ross-Tech
3) Install the latest RR (Important!)
4) run setup.exe
5) Copy the skin folder into your RR skins folder
6) Set the RR skin as your skin.
7) make sure you have a vag-cable hooked up (This WILL NOT WORK with an OBD-II cable)
8) copy the following line to the top of your rr.ini file:
Thats it, Should all work.
Here are some simple instructions to calibrate the MPG gauge:
1) Track your miles using your odometer (I use a handy palm program to track my mpg)
2) You will notice a Vag-Config button on the main screen of the skin now, click it
3) This screen shows an add mpg field and a subtract mpg field along with your current tank mpg
4) if your actuall mpg (that you tracked in step 1) shows higher than the tank-mpg then increase the add mpg value, do the opposite if it is less (this is more likely). Note: The tank mpg already has any offsets you applied earlier
5) When you change the offset the gauge will reset.
I recommend repeating this every tank, different factors (such as how clear your fuel filter is) will require the offset to be changed.
Thanks everyone for your support :)
P.S. for those of you that want a standaone version, here is the project code and you will find binaries under the bin folder. THIS IS ALREADY OUT OF DATE. I am not supporting the standalone version, if you wish to develop it into something more or port the code from the RR plugin (this is possible) into the standalone version you are more than welcomed to, but I will not be doing any work on the standalone.