List and comparison of available Audio player plugins
These are the available audio players plugins for Ride Runner:
- Winamp.dll - Included with RR's install. Supports Winamp 2.9x and Winamp 5.x versions.
- WMPRR.dll - Included with RR's install. Supports Windows Media Player 9, 10, 11 (Maybe more).
- FoobarRR.dll - Available HERE. Supports Foobar2000 9.6.5 to 9.6.9 versions (VERSION 1.0 is NOT compatible).
- iTunesRR.dll - Available HERE. Supports iTunes 18.104.22.168 and later versions (?).
- FMODRR.dll - Available HERE. Supports FMOD Library version 3.7.5.
While they all can perform the same basic features for audio playback, they all differ in several other aspects, but specially on:
- What File Types they can play (which affects the audio quality)
- How much Memory is used (which affects the start-up time of RR)
- How much CPU Load is imposed on the processor (which affects RR's performance)
- What Equalization/DSP/Effects are offered
- What Visualizations are available
- If/Which Generic plugins are available to extend standard functionality
Below, there's a table that shows some information on each player. You should base your choice of player on your specific needs, considering the hardware you have, what you are used to, and the features you'd like to have. You should follow the install information on the link related for each player to ensure it will work properly. For the two that are included with RR's indtall the settings can be set with RRConfig which are:
playerpath=c:\programfiles\winamp\ (path to winamp)
visuname=<window title of the visualization you setup in winamp>
Windows Media Player (WMP)
visuname=WMPVis (choose your visualization running Windows Media Player by itself)
(for Equalizer function in WMP, you will need FFDShowEQ available HERE)
NOTE: Ideally, you should try each player until you find one that suits you best -- regardless of the tests results shown below.
There's also a VIDEO comparing Winamp, Foobar2000, iTunes and Windows Media Player.
If you wish to make a new audio player plugin for RR, you can do so (in any language that supports COM) by following the model of the Winamp plugin sources available to download on this same post. You just need to replicate the functions described in the top of the .cls file.