Correct, we certainly can not list all streaming station found on the web in the skin. We do what we can, and like the post that john made about the newer rendition of the Internet Radio setup, we give the users TONS of easy to play streams right from in the skin.
DFx does not show my mp3s genre. How to fix this problem ?.
I have updated the zip in post #4 with the "Manage Playlist" (AudioPlayListLoad.skin) screen
A solution is in the works to fix ALL of these pesky problems, with what version to install, patch after patch ect. There is going to be a nice simple button in the skin that says "Update DFX". Clicking that will take you to a screen that will list your current version and date, as well as what files are in the update. It will copy all files to the correct places, register any needed DLL's, and backup up any files that are replaced. This way, if you have made changes to a skin, you can open the new one, the old one, and copy over your changes ect.
No more waiting for the "Next patch" or "Next release" as if a single file is updated to fix something, you can get it as soon as it is fixed here.
It is something I have thought about for a long time, and talking to Mitch the other day, rekindled the idea, and it is almost completed.
When it is done, there will be one single small file to download for ALL people, that will install this feature to the skin, and that will be the last manual download for the skin, other than now and then the full installer will be updated and posted for those doing new installs.
This certainly makes updates for DFX a breezzz now! Excellent idea John. :thumb:
Sounds like just adding more problems to arrise for us and users.
What ever happened to that "time off"??? That's what I would like to know...
Having mobile internet opens so much potential. Thanks for adding all this functionality
Problems!??, I hope not.
This does reminds me of a skin "StreamedMP" that I use for "MediaPortal" a HTPC software.
All the skin updates are done from within the skin.......such a great feature! And this is the only skin for MP that does this.
You got my vote, I say do it,........as long it DON'T break anything. :o
Well, I planned to aleviate problems with all of the get the new patch, sorry, that was the wrong one, get the updates in post #4, oops! File was missing, get it again..... You get the idea!
The Old Way:
- When I make changes to files, I have to find all the updated files, and FTP them to the SVN server that blue hosts, to put with the files that he has changed.
- When there are enough changes to warrant an update, he has to copy the folders from installer & patch folders.
- From those files he makes an installer for each
- He then creates the installer for the patch setup.exe's
- When those are done, he sends those 2 exe's to me usually through Yahoo
- I upload them to the MP3Car AppMart.
- I then post in the thread that an update is available to let everyone know
- Then the user has to download the patch / full installer
- The user then runs the installer to update the skin
- If a single file is forgotten, go back to step 1 for both the installer stuff, and the user that installed the files.
The new way:
- When I or Blue update a file, I drag it to a folder on the desktop that automatically syncs with the FTP site.
- The user presses the "Update DFX" button on one of the main menu buttons. It will tell you immediately if there is an update available, and the files that it includes (As soon as a few seconds after I drag the file to the sync folder, they are ready to be installed by the updater!)
- Press the "Update Skin" button
Given the above options, which one seems it would be "adding more problems to arrise for us and users"?
Some technical info on how the Auto Update works:
The files are placed on a server in folders, this is what the root DFXUpdates\ folder has in it:
(Inside each folder, are new and updated files)
The updates.txt file looks like this:
The plugin will use that file to check your last update, and install everything from that point on. For instance if your last update was on 06-05-2011 it will install everything in the next 2 folders, ignoring the first ones. If it is being run for the first time, It will default to the last release date of the latest patch/full installer.Code:
Notice there are a couple of duplicates in there? It will install the Audio_Player.skin from the 06-28-2011 folder only, as that is the most current one.
Once the installer has completed, if there was an update to the DFX.dll, it will display a pop-up telling you that RideRunner must be restarted. Pressing OK, will close RideRunner, install the correct dfx5.dll (Registered or not registered version), register the dll, and then restart RideRunner automatically when it is done.
So far, with testing here, it is working well. It is about 80% completed with just some little stuff to address and finish.
The | in front of a file, means it gets special processing in the plugin. in the line |skin.ini above, that tells the plugin NOT to overwrite it, but will jump to a subroutine in the plugin that will simply look for lines that do NOT exist, and create them (Basically settings for any new features installed).
This way, you get all the new settings, and do not have to reset your wallpaper, colors, themes, clocks & logo choices, iList settings and so forth...
On a last note, there will be a stand alone version, that will simply get all the files, and save them as a sub folder in the folder you run it from, in the correct folder structure. This way you can run the updater, put it all on a thumb drive, and install it in the car.
Here is a screen shot of the Updater screen: (I am sure some things will change by the time of release, but it gives a good idea)