View Poll Results: While Using the DFX skin, do you use the RRMedia database for your music?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use it as the primary music browser

    75 77.32%
  • No, I use the standard folder browser

    22 22.68%

Thread: DFX 5.1.2 Released [ Updated 04-02-12 ]

  1. #1361
    Maximum Bitrate RAWPWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    618

    Question

    Hi.... John or Blue,

    A bit off topic but, is there any way to retain the bottom buttons label "y" position
    and the slider labels, after a DFX skin update? (pic below).

    This is on a 1280x800 lappy that I only use for my testing machine.

    I also notice that there is two .txt files "BottomButtons_480" & "BottomButtons_600".

    Are these files the fix for 480 users?

    If so......

    Can I change the "Y" position in the "BottomButtons_600" file and then use this?

    If not.....

    Can a additional option be added to DFX installer for users that use a 1280x800 res?

    ....Or it's not possable because it's "1280" not "800"?

    Thanx guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #1362
    The Curator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Blue ZX3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago area,IL
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR View Post
    Hi.... John or Blue,

    A bit off topic but, is there any way to retain the bottom buttons label "y" position
    and the slider labels, after a DFX skin update? (pic below).

    This is on a 1280x800 lappy that I only use for my testing machine.

    I also notice that there is two .txt files "BottomButtons_480" & "BottomButtons_600".

    Are these files the fix for 480 users?

    If so......

    Can I change the "Y" position in the "BottomButtons_600" file and then use this?

    If not.....

    Can a additional option be added to DFX installer for users that use a 1280x800 res?

    ....Or it's not possable because it's "1280" not "800"?

    Thanx guys.
    Although, that is not probably not a commonly used resolution, typical being 800x480,800x600, and 1024x768. It could be added both as an instal option and as an included file BottomButtons_1280.

    All you have to do is change the Y coords in the BottomButtons.txt file, and yes, those other files are for the other resolutions with everything already adjusted correctly.


    By tomorrow, we should at least have an updated full installer that has all the current skin fixes and additional added features in the appstore.
    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

    Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

    DFX 5.1.1 Skin
    Appstore Link

    My RideRunner Plugins
    RRMedia
    RRExtended
    DFXVoice

    "There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

  3. #1363
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by silvi4000 View Post
    something interesting happened today. System ran out of space and DFx seems to have lost its settings. Only buttons that work are the ones in the bottom panel.
    Haven't re-installed yet so if this is of interest and any logs are needed let me know
    You have corrupted your skin.ini file in the DFX folder. This can happen when the computer shuts down abnormally while DFX is running. I've had this happen a few times and a system restore to an earlier time will usually fix it. If you have DFX installed on another computer you could also copy the skin.ini from that to the broken system. I now make sure to make a copy of my skin.ini periodically and store it elsewhere on the computer so I can drop it back in if the original skin.ini becomes corrupted.

  4. #1364
    Low Bitrate nhra no 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    101
    Blue, I have a dumb question! Will you be letting us know when that updated installer is uploaded? Since it's going to be in the 90's in the Chicago area, all I have planned this weekend is a fresh install from XP to RR & DFX.
    (Charger) Zotac IONX-B-E (Atom sing core) w/ 2gig ram Xenarc 705, M2-ATX, XP, RR&DFX5
    (Mustang) ECS mini-ITX (Atom dual core) w/ 2gig ram, Lilliput 809, M4-ATX, XP, RR&DFX5

  5. #1365
    Super Moderator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    JohnWPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,699
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yea, when the system runs out of space, any files being written to can many times become corrupted, or emptied of their contents. This is a hardware / windows problem and is not a DFX, or any other skins problem. I have thought about making backups of the skin.ini, and will probably include this with the next release. It will just make a copy of it as a backup when the skin starts, and will be there if ever needed.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

    My Fiero Build Thread

  6. #1366
    Maximum Bitrate RAWPWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
    Although, that is not probably not a commonly used resolution, typical being 800x480,800x600, and 1024x768. It could be added both as an instal option and as an included file BottomButtons_1280.
    Cool, that would certainly be a great help on this test PC, ....so I don't have to keep using the skin editor all the time after an update. I have other apps that need to use my full res 1280x800....ie, Media Portal, PC Drummer, Cakewalk, Guitar Tracks.... just to name a few. This would save me some steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
    All you have to do is change the Y coords in the BottomButtons.txt file, and yes, those other files are for the other resolutions with everything already adjusted correctly.
    OK, I'll give it a go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
    By tomorrow, we should at least have an updated full installer that has all the current skin fixes and additional added features in the appstore.
    Now is this just the "full installer" only, and no update patch?

    And if only the full, will this overwrite everything?

    Thanks.

  7. #1367
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWPB View Post
    Yea, when the system runs out of space, any files being written to can many times become corrupted, or emptied of their contents. This is a hardware / windows problem and is not a DFX, or any other skins problem. I have thought about making backups of the skin.ini, and will probably include this with the next release. It will just make a copy of it as a backup when the skin starts, and will be there if ever needed.
    does it keep an open handle to the ini file all the time while its running?
    already fixed it so its not a big deal. just curiosity on how things work

  8. #1368
    Super Moderator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    JohnWPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,699
    Blog Entries
    1
    No, the file handle is closed after each read and write to the file.

    If there is no Hard Drive space left, it would go like this:

    Open the file, write the new data, no room so file gets corrupted / zero'd out, file is closed.

    This would happen with just about ANY program on a system with a full hard drive, and not limited to RR.

    basically, running out of hard drive space = very bad

    As for full version or a patch.... Blue and I are gonna has everything out tonight, and see what we can come up with.

    However, my personal feeling is to do a nice, clean new install from scratch. Trying to keep up with all the items that has changed, in the patches and such is a nightmare. It would be far better to start from scratch. After that is done, for the last time, everything will be handled with the auto updater, and potentially would never ever have to download another full release or patch.

    The main reason being, it is impossible to know what files have been edited, altered and changed by the end user. What settings have been changed in the skin.ini such as any custom buttons that have been added, or removed because it is something you do not use ect. The best bet, is to copy the skin to a backup folder before installing, and then move any changes into the active DFX skin folder.

    Blue and I have talked about making a second .txt file, that custom buttons can be put into, that will show in the list of main menu buttons when you press and hold. This way any custom code for menu buttons would never get overwritten.
    Last edited by JohnWPB; 07-15-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

    My Fiero Build Thread

  9. #1369
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWPB View Post
    I have thought about making backups of the skin.ini, and will probably include this with the next release. It will just make a copy of it as a backup when the skin starts, and will be there if ever needed.
    Great idea.

  10. #1370
    Maximum Bitrate RAWPWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    618

Similar Threads

  1. Skype Plugin released
    By lambosprit in forum RR Released Plugins
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
  2. openMobile 0.6 Released To Testers
    By justchat_1 in forum OpenMobile
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
  3. Teknik v2.0 - RELEASED
    By Valheru in forum RR Skins
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 10:22 AM
  4. DFx skin + winamp 5.13
    By vicky_obee in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •