mobilephone.net is skinned and ready to rock in DFX 5.
Just drove home with my freshly built 5.0.3 setup and one thing I noticed was a 'locking up' of the system when selecting next track.
So I highlight an album; hit 'select to playlist' and the album starts playing. Click 'next track' and the next song starts playing immediately but all the controls lock up for 4 or 5 seconds before I can do anything else. Any ideas what could be causing this?
The skin itself looks fantastic in the car though! Can't quite put my finger on it but everything just looks crisper and really slick.
thats good to hear. i just tore apart my andrea microphone (really easy, 3 screws) and drilled two holes in my dash above my gauge cluster. i fitted each mic in the holes and glued them down with epoxy on the back side (i had to cut off one mic and extended the wire to reach over, about 1 1/2 feet long) on the front of the dash bezel, i used the same cover caps it came with, just glued those on to the mics to give the factory look.
the placement is a little weird due to the fact there isnt much room where i wanted to put them, but it still looks nice. they look factory other then the placement if you really look at it. then, on the door armrest, above my window switch, i drilled a small hole and fitted in the momentary switch. my truck is 11 years old, and its finally mature enough to have a discussion with it!
i would say the accuracy is plenty good when just sitting still, engine on or off... but when you start rollin down the road its a different story. even windows up it can be hard to get it to do anything at times. im hoping the usb adapter cuts out the driving noise better, if not ill likely have to isolate the mics better. i fear the vibration of the road is going through the dash... even though i did keep the rubber casing they come in around the mics.
Well you need to be careful when taking apart microphones and putting the elements in a new location.
If you notice the original mic enclosure, there are slots around the back of the round parts holding the mic elements. These slots allow sound in to the rear of the element making the microphone a directional or cardioid microphone.
When you put the mics in a new place there is no sound getting to the rear of the element, and so the microphone is now what is called omni directional.
The sound from behind the microphone goes in to the mic in the rear slots and in the front of the microphone but out of phase with each other therefore cancelling out any sounds from the rear.
This is why the microphone is not as accurate, as I can talk to the carputer with AC on full blast and have full recognition, with my Andrea.
I am sure that a lot of research went into the design of the Andrea case to make it as accurate as possible, not only in design of the shape of the round part but also the distance each mic is apart from each other.
im aware of the andreas design... i really dont think it matters that much. at least i havent noticed any change after putting it in the dash. i have more testing to do, and i have a spare andrea for another project that i can use as a bench point too. ill post back with more results this week. i still think ill get the better results once i get that usb adapter installed with the software enhancements. my onboard mic software doesnt seem like anything special... not in xp anyway.
I tried to make the installer as user friendly as possible but I can not do anything for ppl that don't look what they are basically saying yes to and yet appeal to the majority of the DFX user location base.
I then trawled the old DFX 4.0 thread for the term xport and gauges and went through the majority of the 3 pages of search results, I then did a search of the GPS forum, checked the new 5.0 thread and found nothing so I posted.
Clearly I'm an idiot for not immediately realising (US only) meant it would break the gauges if you're outside the US.