Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: My second tallscreen skin

  1. #11
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    dundee, il
    Posts
    211
    thank you all for the compliments, but i have to agree with monkeyracer, this skin would be way too tiny on most screens smaller than around 8 to 10 inches. i find it to be just about perfect for my 12" screen.

    progress on the skin will resume sometime soon, i just got the dev. pc hooked back up in my new place. i will keep the thread updated as it comes along.

    david

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
    I'd hate to be negative, but this would not be a good skin for a handheld. The resolution is too much for that small of a screen and text would be unreadable. Also, RR doesn't run on Palm OS, but has been run on some Pocket PC's (Windows Mobile) but the skin would need to be revamped to work for a small screen and what it's capable of.

    I think you were intending to compliment davidp on his design and to that notion I agree, I tried to make a tallscreen skin, and it definitely takes a little more patience to design than a normal widescreen skin.

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    738
    oh i understand.. i only said it cuz of its shape.. I didn't think it was feasible anyway...

    Just curious, how would you fit your skin into 12"" screen. Is ur screen 12" tall and 4" wide?

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    dundee, il
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by brandensin View Post
    oh i understand.. i only said it cuz of its shape.. I didn't think it was feasible anyway...

    Just curious, how would you fit your skin into 12"" screen. Is ur screen 12" tall and 4" wide?
    the 12" is measured diagonally, the actual viewable screen size is about the size of a normal sheet of paper. i designed the skin using the 12" screen, so it looks right at home

    david

  4. #14
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,347
    Its been awhile since any updates so I decided to provide one. The primary benefit for me having a tall skin is the full screen GPS. So I put together the skins/PNGs/ini to go from the external GPS screen to a Full screen GPS with the audio controls moved from the center to the bottom. The attached is designed for FreeDrive, but editing the ExecTbl.ini can change that. I'll probably replace the vis button command to change the gps to/from day/night since it has no other function here but again this will be FreeDrive specific.

    Just extract the following zip to your TALLRR directory and give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  5. #15
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    dundee, il
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Its been awhile since any updates so I decided to provide one. The primary benefit for me having a tall skin is the full screen GPS. So I put together the skins/PNGs/ini to go from the external GPS screen to a Full screen GPS with the audio controls moved from the center to the bottom. The attached is designed for FreeDrive, but editing the ExecTbl.ini can change that. I'll probably replace the vis button command to change the gps to/from day/night since it has no other function here but again this will be FreeDrive specific.

    Just extract the following zip to your TALLRR directory and give it a try.
    cool, sorry for the lack of updates, but my carputer has been out of the car for about a month now. plus i might be getting a new car soon (08 dodge avenger R/T), so i might be scrapping the whole tallscreen plan. right now the whole thing is kinda up in the air.

    i will update as i can,

    david

  6. #16
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,347
    Are you coming to any of the Chicago MP3Car Meets (I'll be there for the mid June one)?
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  7. #17
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    dundee, il
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Are you coming to any of the Chicago MP3Car Meets (I'll be there for the mid June one)?
    yea, im going to try to make it to them if i can.

    i ended up getting the avenger (sweet car ) so more than likely, i'll end up using either my current 7" screen, or maybe a 10.4", but definitely not a tallscreen setup , so i will be releasing this skin as it sits now for further development by others if they choose.

    david

  8. #18
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,347
    Alright, release the PSDs and I'll try to update it as new functions are released. I'm kinda swamped right now prepping for my summer travel schedule, but it'll give me something else to do in my hotel rooms.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  9. #19
    Variable Bitrate sargeants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    232
    okay... now I'm totally missing something here

    I can use Roadrunner to load either the default Carwings-v2 or the DigitalFX 4 skins normal rotation or tall... but I can't seem to get this or David's original 'cleannclear' skin to work properly.
    All I get is a grey screen with the basic layout; no images until I rollover them. When I try to do anything I'll either lockup RR or it'll just close on me.

    Is there something simple I should be checking or installing to make these work? I thought I got everything figured out.

    Any help would be good - I'm in the planning stages of getting this laptop installed into the car and would be great to use a nice natively tall skin.

  10. #20
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by sargeants View Post
    okay... now I'm totally missing something here

    I can use Roadrunner to load either the default Carwings-v2 or the DigitalFX 4 skins normal rotation or tall... but I can't seem to get this or David's original 'cleannclear' skin to work properly.
    All I get is a grey screen with the basic layout; no images until I rollover them. When I try to do anything I'll either lockup RR or it'll just close on me.

    Is there something simple I should be checking or installing to make these work? I thought I got everything figured out.

    Any help would be good - I'm in the planning stages of getting this laptop installed into the car and would be great to use a nice natively tall skin.
    No this is not going to be simple.

    O.K. the first thing you need to do is open up the "Skin.ini" file in the DFX4 skin folder. Copy the entire line that begins with "Background=" Paste that line in the "skin.ini" file in the TallRR folder. That will take care of the background issue. This skin does not have ANY of the automation DFX4 has. Remember this skin is not ready for prime time, which means notepad.exe is going to be your best friend when it comes to configuring it.

    Have you run RR Config on your system? If not, do so, but the first thing you need to do when you run it is to go to the "Config" section and click the box next to "Check for update." If you have an internet connection it will check its server and allow you to update RR Config to the latest version. This is a must!

    If DFX4 and Carwings is working then RR is installed correctly. Since you mentioned Carwings I assume you used the RR Installer from MitchJS. The next question is what version of Winamp are you using (I think you PM'd me and said 5.541) Uninstall winamp and Go back to 5.13. This is the version recommended for most RR skins.

    Next, is the text showing in the boxes when you mouse over them? If not you need to open the "settings.skin" file and change the "font title" to one that is installed on your computer (ARIAL is one that comes to mind).

    The next question I have is what navigation software are you running? To configure anything other than FreeDrive (which is what I use) is going to take some research.

    Try the above, answer the questions, and I'll help where I can.

    OBTW, I broke the background chooser, that was the next thing on my list to fix.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Virtual Earth cache builder? Or even gps simulator to make it cache?
    By thepunkerguy in forum DigitalMods (Scripts / API)
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
  2. Digital FX 2.0 Transparent Released
    By JohnWPB in forum RR Skins No Longer Supported
    Replies: 3759
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM
  3. Mauri RR skin
    By mauri in forum RR Skins
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •