I'm making my first foray into designing my own skin. The approach I'm experimenting with is having uber-consistency between skins such that once you've learnt one view, you're 99% of the way to knowing all of the skins. Plus I'm going to dispense with all the buttons I never use and hide any buttons I seldom use. And the current UI is all temporary - background, sizing, fonts, everything :). So try to look past that! I'm pretty much only playing with arrangement / sunlight readability right now (hence the large button font). I'll revamp all the UI once I settle on a layout I like and have used it for a while to make sure it's got all the functionality I need for daily use.
Things I'm thinking of doing:
1. audio_player skin times out after 5 seconds of no activity and switches back to menu skin (i.e. the folder art replaces the song list).
2. Content rectangle needs to be bigger.
3. Black bar at top becomes a rounded rect feedback area for current song title etc.
4. All skins have some kind of 'maximize' button that makes the content rectangle (where the folder art is on menu.jpg) full or near full screen (with a button to shrink it again).
5. GPS will show in the standard content rectangle but go full screen with above button.
6. Bottom rounded rect has music controls in it (maybe volume, play, pause only) + context senstive buttons (e.g. gps buttons on gps screen).
7. Bottom rounded rect probably moves all the way to bottom of every skin.
8. Make content rectange 1:1 to avoid folder art being distorted.
Some of the above will need targetted improvements to RR functionality.