Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Isuzu Rodeo 2001 with Asus Eee Box

  1. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    26
    I know this is going to be subjective but do you feel that the Eee Box would have enough horsepower to run everything you're running now (Centrafuse, etc) plus an external USB sound card and USB touchscreen monitor? The monitors aren't out yet, but I've heard both can be pretty CPU intensive.

  2. #12
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    112
    I am running an external USB sound with a c-media chipset for wiring up a microphone for voice control/bluetooth hands-free. Works perfect, no skips, glitches, or standby issues. I'm thinking the Eee may be able to run those new LCD's. Not too sure... Maybe someone else on the board has tested one of these new USB LCD's with the Atom 1.6ghz chipset?

    What I have plugged into USB isn't exactly anything to require much CPU power at all.

    Touch screen, very very minima data transfer or processing involved.
    Sirius interface, hardly any processing power needed.
    GPS - yet again, barely any data transfer or processing needed.
    Memory card reader, rarely gets used, probably can use a bit of system recourses when transferring lots of files at a time.
    iPhone - I don't have itunes installed, just plug it in to charge it, no CPU power required.
    Startup/shutdown controller - doesn't transfer data, only uses the USB port to sense the power on/or off state of the computer.

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    112
    Still working on the USB issues. Still trying to figure out how to get the USB ports to shut off when in standby/poweroff.

    On another note, I think I found pin 14 of the DVI port has 5v+ power that turns on and off with the computer power/state.

    I am rebuilding the computer installation right now.

  4. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    23
    Since you've confirmed that the checkboxes to "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" boxes are checked, thats it.

    the only other area you can check is in the BIOS. If its not there, unfortunately your USB devices will stay powered. most systems are this way actually.

  5. #15
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    112
    Yeah, all of my system USB devices are set to "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" and the touch screen USB controller has "Allow this device to wake the computer" disabled. I don't recall seeing a choice for S1 or S3 power management on the Eee's Bios setup but I'll take a keyboard out there and check it out when I get it all put back together.

    thanks

  6. #16
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    That is a nice setup..... It is very similar to mine. I ran all the electrical to the passenger seat then more wires come from there and go to the second row, were the PC and PSU sit. I do have to ask though, are you having any heat issues? I have a small inverter for my VGA splitter, which will not work with out the original wall adapter) and recently the inverter was over heating. I had to cut a hole in the side of it and put a fan ontop. With the fan, no over heating at all now. You have a whole PC under there, so im curious.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  7. #17
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    That is a nice setup..... It is very similar to mine. I ran all the electrical to the passenger seat then more wires come from there and go to the second row, were the PC and PSU sit. I do have to ask though, are you having any heat issues? I have a small inverter for my VGA splitter, which will not work with out the original wall adapter) and recently the inverter was over heating. I had to cut a hole in the side of it and put a fan ontop. With the fan, no over heating at all now. You have a whole PC under there, so im curious.
    Thanks man...

    Are you only powering the VGA splitter?
    If the VGA splitter is 12V, just wire it directly or find a VGA splitter that works on a 12V DC power supply. OR... just get a universal laptop charger that has a voltage selector switch (what i use for powering my computer). They work very efficiently, and are VERY cheap to pick up on ebay. I have it hardwired and powered all of the time, that's how I let this computer power off the standby instead of hibernation.

    I feel that inverters are just a total waste of energy and take up too much space, also just a hassle to wire and relay, unless you REALLY need an inverter for something other than a computer. I suppose the laptop power supply I'm using is necessarily a mini inverter, but it's so officiant so far, it's a no-fail.

    I don't have any heat issues at all, ever. I have no inverters involved nor does the 12v laptop power supply I have even get hot, Plus, the Eee Box has quite the cooling fan. I've never been able to heat the Eee up enough for the fan to go to it's highest RPM.

  8. #18
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey500 View Post
    Thanks man...

    Are you only powering the VGA splitter?
    If the VGA splitter is 12V, just wire it directly or find a VGA splitter that works on a 12V DC power supply. OR... just get a universal laptop charger that has a voltage selector switch (what i use for powering my computer). They work very efficiently, and are VERY cheap to pick up on ebay. I have it hardwired and powered all of the time, that's how I let this computer power off the standby instead of hibernation.

    I feel that inverters are just a total waste of energy and take up too much space, also just a hassle to wire and relay, unless you REALLY need an inverter for something other than a computer. I suppose the laptop power supply I'm using is necessarily a mini inverter, but it's so officiant so far, it's a no-fail.

    I don't have any heat issues at all, ever. I have no inverters involved nor does the 12v laptop power supply I have even get hot, Plus, the Eee Box has quite the cooling fan. I've never been able to heat the Eee up enough for the fan to go to it's highest RPM.
    HAHAHAHAHA, I wish it was that easy. It works at 9V and 600ma. So far I have tried 7 different car adapters to try to power the unit, including one that is 9V and 650ma (only a 50ma difference) and the thing will not work. Trust me, if it was 12V, i would have done that.

    I agree with you, but as stated above I cant find a plug for this thing. I did have 2 inverters, one to power the splitter, and another to power my USB hub. After going through 4 hubs and not knowing why, 2k1Toaster explained to me why they were dying, so I trashed that inverter. The inverter I have is very very small. The size of a 2.5 HDD, so it doesnt take up much room.



    The inverter is the shinny black thing, I ran wires to the wall adapter because together it took up too much room.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #19
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA, I wish it was that easy. It works at 9V and 600ma. So far I have tried 7 different car adapters to try to power the unit, including one that is 9V and 650ma (only a 50ma difference) and the thing will not work. Trust me, if it was 12V, i would have done that.

    I agree with you, but as stated above I cant find a plug for this thing. I did have 2 inverters, one to power the splitter, and another to power my USB hub. After going through 4 hubs and not knowing why, 2k1Toaster explained to me why they were dying, so I trashed that inverter. The inverter I have is very very small. The size of a 2.5 HDD, so it doesnt take up much room.



    The inverter is the shinny black thing, I ran wires to the wall adapter because together it took up too much room.

    Most of the universal laptop power supplies have a built in 5V usb port at 2 amps. This will rid your reason of needing an inverter at all. I would find a different VGA splitter, heh. I'm unsure if I could handle that. I'd check out the board on the VGA splitter and see if you can bypass whatever is regulating the voltage/amperage coming into the device.

    I mean, you do what you want, I'm just letting you know my suggestions

  10. #20
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    62
    I really like what you have done with your truck and I am looking to do similar when i finally get mine.

    My question tho - in one of the photos you have been playing in the mud - have you had any probs with the bouncing effecting the eee?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Crazy Idea
    By isphius in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
  2. F/S: JL 12w7 Subwoofer with box!!! Pictures inside
    By neema12 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 07:39 AM
  4. Wanting help with an ABC sub box
    By FyreDaug in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 04:10 AM
  5. Koolaid's 2001 Isuzu Rodeo
    By koolaidkitten in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •