2006 Mustang - Deric's Indash Solution
Thought I would finally post a few pics of my project. Since it is installed and running I assume it would be better to post here instead of the worklog.
First of all thanks must go out to several people on this forum. Blk02si, seeing your project in your mustang pretty much got the ball rolling again after I sold my jeep and got the mustang. Guino and the RR team, without a free front-end with so many features I could see a lot of people not doing the carPC thing. To all those not named who take the time and post what you've learned and how you did your own projects, without you several people would attempt this and quit out of frustration.
This is what it is in - 2006 Mustang
On to the build; my system consists of the following:
I bought a second dash bezel so I could mold the screen and revert back to stock if needed. I ordered the 4:3 screen which required me to move my AC controls down about 1/2 an inch. Also due to the size I was unable to have a DVD drive for my build. At some point I will buy an 8" widescreen monitor since this one is not LED backlit as advertised and to allow the above mentioned DVD drive to be installed. Here's a comparison of the bezels before paint
The case as the title suggests is bolted in-dash replacing the factory head unit. I even mounted the directed tuner to the top since my dash has so much open space. Here's a close-up pic showing the case (excuse the mess).
I'm utilizing the on-board audio using the rear connections for front/Rear/Sub and the HD Radio input on the front panel line-in. The front and rear speakers are on seperate channels powered by the Kenwood amp and the front subs still utilize the factory amps. I did have to wire a 5V regulator so the factory amps wouldn't pop when power was supplied.
As stated above the front cover for the LCD was molded in and the lilliput has metal tabs that hold the screen in place. It is very sturdy. This was the hardest part of the install and I had to completely recreate the bottom sloped part due to moving the AC controls down. This was created with epoxy putty and has held up without issue so far.
Comments are welcome and as with anything I'm sure most projects are never done. I'm right around the $500 mark on cost and even though I could have gotten a pioneer F90BT for $450 a few months ago now that it is installed I am loving the CarPC.