Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lenovo S10-3t in my IS250

  1. #1
    Newbie n3w813's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    22

    Lenovo S10-3t in my IS250

    First of all, the reason I went with a laptop and a mounting arm is because I did not want to do any modifications to my car or mess with power issues that comes with a desktop carpc.

    Here are the specs and some pics...


    Hardware
    Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t touchscreen tablet netbook
    • 10.1” LED touchscreen
    • 2GB memory
    • 120GB 7200rpm hard drive
    • a/b/g wireless
    Apple USB cable for tethering to iPhone
    4-Port USB hub
    • 32GB USB flash drive for audio files
    • 160GB 2.5” USB external hard drive for video files
    • Micro Bluetooth module
    • Globalsat BU-535 USB GPS receiver
    Audio via headphone jack to car radio’s AUX input
    Ram-Mount mounting arm and Tough Tray II for laptops

    Software
    Windows 7 Starter
    Centrafuse 3.1
    • Clean skin
    • GMPC plugin
    • CleanScreen plugin
    • CFCalendar plugin
    • CFCalc plugin
    • Rabbithole 1.1 visualization
    Garmin Mobile PC 5.0
    XPort
    CoreAVC 2.0
    FFDShow

    Customizations
    [Windows] Custom Windows power scheme profile scripts that run every 5 minutes via task scheduler to set the display brightness based on time of day
    [Centrafuse] Song Artist displayed below Title on main screen
    [Centrafuse] Replaced Centrafuse logo with Lexus logo on main screen
    [Centrafuse] Custom font for better Asian font readability
    [Centrafuse] 5 song rows instead of the default 3 in media player

    Notes
    System goes into Standby in 5 minutes when engine is shutoff (running on battery)
    System goes into Hibernation after 5 hours
    Resume from Standby takes 5 seconds
    Resume from Hibernation takes 22 seconds
    Plays up to 720p x264 video files without skipping


    Still working on Bluetooth phone integration, real-time traffic updates
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lexus IS250 CarPC Project

    Plan [++++++++++] 100%
    Buy [++++++++++] 100%
    Config [+++++++++-] 90%
    Install [++++++++++] 100%

  2. #2
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    The IS250 has a really bad dash layout when it comes to the possibility of installing anything aftermarket. Very difficult to achieve a simple, clean look Im assuming.

  3. #3
    Newbie goldengoten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10
    Is this arm difficult to dismantle in case you have to hide your components? And how are you powering the pc, inverter?

  4. #4
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161
    Man...you GOT TO lose those stickers on the screen sides. I mean, WTF?

    Instructions to operate a (multi-)touchscreen? C'mon, that's beyond the pale...imagine if the iPad came with these?

    Seriously, now, how good is this RAM mount arm as far as vibration (due to road, or when you operate the screen/buttons?) goes?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Newbie n3w813's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by nobb View Post
    The IS250 has a really bad dash layout when it comes to the possibility of installing anything aftermarket. Very difficult to achieve a simple, clean look Im assuming.
    Yes, that is one of the reasons why I went with a mount instead of a integrated solution. Didn't want to cut up my dash!

    Quote Originally Posted by goldengoten View Post
    Is this arm difficult to dismantle in case you have to hide your components? And how are you powering the pc, inverter?
    I usually leave the netbook in the car, sometimes I'll put my microfiber towel that I use to clean the screen over the netbook. If I know I'll be out of the car for an extended amount of time, I just take the netbook with me. The netbook is powered by an universal car power adapter for laptops and the 6-cell battery.

    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
    Man...you GOT TO lose those stickers on the screen sides. I mean, WTF?

    Instructions to operate a (multi-)touchscreen? C'mon, that's beyond the pale...imagine if the iPad came with these?

    Seriously, now, how good is this RAM mount arm as far as vibration (due to road, or when you operate the screen/buttons?) goes?

    Thanks!
    I left the stickers on because I'm still within the 30 day return period for the netbook in case I want to return it. They will come off soon.

    After many adjustments to the arm, now I have the arm leaning pretty strongly against my center console. Bad roads and small bumps do not affect the arm much. But large bumps may shake the netbook a bit, but not too much.

    The netbook has a accelerometer in it with software that pauses the internal hard drive if there are vibrations. When I had music playing off the internal hard drive, the music will stutter and repeat until the hard drive unpauses. This is why I now have my music stored on the USB flash drive and videos on external usb hard drive.

    I will be replacing the internal hard drive with a large SSD when I save up enough funds.
    Lexus IS250 CarPC Project

    Plan [++++++++++] 100%
    Buy [++++++++++] 100%
    Config [+++++++++-] 90%
    Install [++++++++++] 100%

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    So if you HAD to make it a completely clean, integrated install, would you say that is even possible on the IS250? Or do the integrated climate controls just muck everything up?

    Reason I ask is because I really would love to pick up an IS250 but it doesnt seem like it's possible to install a clean carpc in it =(

  7. #7
    Newbie n3w813's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by nobb View Post
    So if you HAD to make it a completely clean, integrated install, would you say that is even possible on the IS250? Or do the integrated climate controls just muck everything up?

    Reason I ask is because I really would love to pick up an IS250 but it doesnt seem like it's possible to install a clean carpc in it =(
    The most I've seen someone do is removing the head unit and relocating it to the glove compartment. Then installing an aftermarket slide-out LCD head unit and had to custom fabricate panels to look flush.

    I think you can't totally remove the factory radio without causing issues with the rest of the console.

    The 2006-2010 IS is really not made for modding.....as of now, I don't think there is an aftermarket mod kit yet
    Lexus IS250 CarPC Project

    Plan [++++++++++] 100%
    Buy [++++++++++] 100%
    Config [+++++++++-] 90%
    Install [++++++++++] 100%

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2

    Car mount

    Where did you buy the Ram-Mount mounting arm and Tough Tray II for laptops?
    And price?

  9. #9
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,161

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
    is this the all we need for the tablet netbook? or is it just a tray?

Similar Threads

  1. Slammin' 2000 Chevy S10
    By enhanced08 in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •