2008 (facelift) Ford Focus Install
(Taken from digital-car.co.uk)
I looked around for a while to see examples of installs for my new(ish) car - a facelift Focus 2008. But I couldn’t actually find anyone who had done it before. My previous install was posted here (will update links to photos):-
My new install is pretty much finished, so you wont have to wait months to see the final product!!
Unfortunately my previous MG was involved in an accident and I had to purchase a new car. I already had a car pc and a motorised single din screen. This setup worked well for me in the MG, and I was looking to use the same stuff in my new car. However, as the Focus had the potential for a double din installation, I decided to go with a different set up for my screen.
Before all that, I wanted to update my pc case. I bought a Mo-Co-So case around 3 years back, so it did not have any of the extra connectors on the outside of the case:-
I purchased some new parts from Mo-Co-So again (great service) which included a new screen in a double din case, GPS module and new case ends to give me holes to mount my new connectors.
At this point, I started to make looms and install the connectors, LEDs and switches as required. I wanted to be able to disconnect the entire PC if I had to, so I made this as easy as possible. This involved making a new Mobo header to connect with the new LEDs and Switches:-
While I was “preparing” the Case, I wanted to upgrade the speakers in the car to get better sound. Again, information about this was very scarce on the internet. So much so, that I found that the 5x7 speakers that I bought don’t fit!
This is the car:-
First things first, I removed the door card to have a look at the speakers:-
As you can see, the speakers are not 5x7s…
In fact, they are pop riveted in place!!
Anyway, I decided to take em out anyway:-
I scratched my head on what to do with the speaker, and noticed that they were 1 piece:-
Of course, the next idea was to cut the speakers out completely!:-
You can just make out where I cut the legs:-
And ripped out the cone:-
Now I had the speaker out, and a frame left:-
The size looked kinda right, so I went on to my next idea:-
These are JBL 16.5cm speakers out of my MG that I had to hand, and they pretty much fitted perfectly in the frame (bar the speaker surround tabs):-
Once again, I put my dremel to use and cut out 4 small slots for the tabs, and cleaned up the back end:-
Now, the speaker was a perfect, snug fit:-
Next stage was the wiring. I wanted to use the original ford plugs and sockets:-
Car loom side
As I had cut most of the speaker, I had to get a bit creative with the speaker plug:-
And using a brace:-