So now that the speakers were done, I wanted a way to be able to remove the speakers in the future easily. Pop rivets would have to be drilled out, so I decided to use some nuts and bolts and some JBWeld:-
I let it set overnight, and put the speakers in place the next day:-
The JBL speakers were part of the component set so I found a place for the crossover:-
And mounted the tweeters in the stock location using a glue gun:-
Suffice to say, it was a vast improvement over the standard paper speakers!! Ive still to do the rears, so keep an eye on those later.
By now, I was itching to get my pc into the car. I had finished all the case stuff, and even managed to get the internal cables tidied up to improve airflow:-
The new case end:-
I also drilled some holes over the CPU fan, as it had gotten pretty hot in the past (also the reason for the larger fan).
Once I was happy with the wiring, I moved onto the car stuff.
And my own additions – a USB port and a Illuminated Vandal switch to power the PC on\off with a red halo LED:-
I routed all the required cables from the front to the back. This included power, USB and VGA extension. I also ran speaker cables to the back as I wanted to keep the original speaker wires in the doors and the original headunit plug.
Up front I have a 4 port USB hub for a Silabs radio, the touchscreen controller, the front USB port and a space for my upcoming steering wheel joystick controller.
Heres the mess of wires going to the PC (you can see where I made a new vent –to be sprayed black):-
Onto the front screen. When I bought the “double din” case for the screen, I also decided to purchase a double din fascia adaptor for my car. However, when I managed to get both together, I found they didn’t quite match up! It turns out that you have a US double din and a European double din! So out came the dremel again and I manage to get the screen to fit like so:-
I enlarged the whole in the fascia to accept the screen, and made some brackets to secure the screen too:-
And this is how it looked:-
Not flush, but good enough. Originally, I did think about fabricating the screen into the fascia to get it flush etc, but I wanted an install that I could transfer to another car, while still looking good.