Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Custom Center Console

  1. #11
    Constant Bitrate 1996C1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    125
    ZX1 Cruizer, did you wrap your center console or did you have somebody do it? I noticed it's even stiched, that seems like some hard work now that I'm looking at it.

  2. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    41

    wow...

    what brand is the rackmount audio gear and what did you go through to convert them?

  3. #13
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996C1500 View Post


    I do have a computer lol. That's why i'm showing my console. I pulled it out for a better look.

    It's a supermicro 1U rackmount chassis that I sawed to make fit. It was originally 14" deep, so I cut some of the middle out and moved the back towards the front. I stuffed an M4-ATX power supply, Jetway Mobo, 2.6Ghz Dual Core AMD processor, 4G ram, 80GB SSD, 300GB HDD, and slim DVD drive.

    I wasn't thinking about spilling any drinks on it, but now that you say it that would really suck! I may cover the gear with plexiglass or could even do an armrest, but i like it exposed. The crossovers have bouncing LEDs for the levels on each speaker and the EQ has a 31 band RTA that bounces too. I like it all in the middle for easy access so I can adjust and tweak all my xover and eq settings.

    But yeah i'm leaning towards vinyl becuase I have never done it before and it seems like it's less labor intensive that the fiberglass (which I have done). I mean how hard can it be right?? Sure I say that now.... haha

    That's really cool about the multiple PCs for each passenger. I could never do that because even though my truck has a back seat, it's really just a two-seater. Even the bed has little useful space.
    Wow that looks so cool. Its nice how it all fits into that slim form factor. Let me ask, are the air vents at the front, which would be your top? If you cover it with plexi, wont that block those holes? Well it depends if you can sow. Also make sure to use padding under the vinyl or it will bubble.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1996C1500 View Post
    ZX1 Cruizer, did you wrap your center console or did you have somebody do it? I noticed it's even stiched, that seems like some hard work now that I'm looking at it.
    I did not wrap my console. i designed it, told a upholsterer what I wanted and he did his magic. i was very impressed with the guy I used because in the past, the upholsterers would use glue to hold it together. Over time heat would make it come undone. Then I found this guy and he does this stitching which makes it look OEM. He does upholstery on luxury yachts so thankfully he translates his luxury work into all his projects. Hes going to be ****ed that he may have to redo my rear hatch because I want to redesign it to be different.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #14
    Constant Bitrate 1996C1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse972 View Post
    what brand is the rackmount audio gear and what did you go through to convert them?
    I'm running a Behringer DEQ2496 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products...x/DEQ2496.aspx) and two Behringer DCX2496 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx)

    I've used several different Active crossovers and 31 Band EQs, but this is my current setup and I really like it. In the past i've used Image Dynamics graphic EQ and active crossover, Kicker crossovers, and once had a Pioneer Premier P-9 Combo. The great thing about the DEQ is that it accepts the digital optical toslink from my mobo, and has a mic input with RTA and auto tuning. All have clipping and limit LEDs too. There's so much these units will do, and even though they aren't top of the line prosound gear they work nicely in the car. To convert them to 12V, i just bought these power supplies (http://envisionelec.net/index.php?ma...&products_id=2) They work great, easy to install, and soft on/off. You can also connect the DCX to your carputer and adjust all the settings that way, but since my units are in the console to my side I just adjust it by hand.

    Also, the prosound gear outputs are XLR, so I bought a spool of microphone cable and soldered XLR and RCA ends. You can buy adapters too.







    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    Wow that looks so cool. Its nice how it all fits into that slim form factor. Let me ask, are the air vents at the front, which would be your top? If you cover it with plexi, wont that block those holes? Well it depends if you can sow. Also make sure to use padding under the vinyl or it will bubble.





    I did not wrap my console. i designed it, told a upholsterer what I wanted and he did his magic. i was very impressed with the guy I used because in the past, the upholsterers would use glue to hold it together. Over time heat would make it come undone. Then I found this guy and he does this stitching which makes it look OEM. He does upholstery on luxury yachts so thankfully he translates his luxury work into all his projects. Hes going to be ****ed that he may have to redo my rear hatch because I want to redesign it to be different.
    I'm sure he'll like the business though!

    The normal airflow for the 1U is at the front yes. I run the PC with the top of the case off at the moment. I do have a 1U space vent above the computer and below the DEQ. This is sort of for looks and to take up space, and it also functions as a vent to allow heat to escape. I would consider venting out the side or back with fans if I did cover with plexiglass. I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem. I doubt i would be able to sew but I love how it adds that much more custom/factory look to it. I'm still unsure on how I will wrap this monster. I'm already thinking about moving the 10.4" screen into the dash and moving my AC vents to the center console. I have a head unit in my dash, but it's not even hooked up to anything. Just there to take up space and fill the hole, becuase I go from my motherboard's digital out to the prosound gear.

  5. #15
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    345
    This is one mean setup. Do you compete in SQ competitions?

  6. #16
    Constant Bitrate 1996C1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    125
    I don't compete in anything. I've never been to a proper competition either. This is a hobby I picked up when I was in the USAF stationed in the UK to keep me busy and everything I learned has been from reading and trial and error. I'm really into SQ and would like to start going to shows to check peoples stuff out and listen to others rides though. Even if I do go, it would be for feedback more or less to improve my sound setup. I do it for more of the personal satisfaction/enjoyment :-)

  7. #17
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    84
    Wow. How much power does that all consume? Did you install a new alternator to power all that too?

  8. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    41
    WOW!!! With $400 is power supplies alone, I would try an inverter first and see what the result was. Speaking of...did you try an inverter at all? The only reason I ask is because I am thinking of doing a setup similar to yours in my Dodge 3500 and I already have a 1800W inverter in the truck for other gear. It would be MUCH easier for me to just run things off 120VAC if there aren't any problems. OOPS...I suppose I should mention that my AutoPC will be running off the inverter as well, that is, whenever I decide what stuff to put in the truck.

  9. #19
    Constant Bitrate 1996C1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Wow. How much power does that all consume? Did you install a new alternator to power all that too?

    I don't know specific number, but I am running two batteries seperated by a 200 amp isolator and upgrade my alternator, so I don't really have any power issues. I have loaded lots of pictures in the worklog subfolder. I made a rookie mistake in posting here first. You should check it out if you get the chance.

  10. #20
    Constant Bitrate 1996C1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse972 View Post
    WOW!!! With $400 is power supplies alone, I would try an inverter first and see what the result was. Speaking of...did you try an inverter at all? The only reason I ask is because I am thinking of doing a setup similar to yours in my Dodge 3500 and I already have a 1800W inverter in the truck for other gear. It would be MUCH easier for me to just run things off 120VAC if there aren't any problems. OOPS...I suppose I should mention that my AutoPC will be running off the inverter as well, that is, whenever I decide what stuff to put in the truck.
    It was pricey... over time. I started off with some similar rackmount Image Dynamics stuff that was 12V, sold it, bought a pioner P-9 setup, then sold that to try the Behringer stuff. I discovered the modification people were doing on car audio forums and liked what those units had to offer. I started with just one DEQ for the 31 band eq and RTA self adjustment, then added a DCX, and then another DCX when my setup went from 3-way to 4-way (Low, Mid Bass, Midrange, High). As I added I just kept buying the units and the power supplies. Thats the main reason I did the rackmount computer chassis becuase I figured it'd look really cool all together in the middle of my truck if I took the middle seat/console out.

    I never did try using an Inverter on the prosound gear. If I did, i'd definitely buy a powerful pure sine wave and use that for sure. I did use a cheap inverter on my pc between blown OPUS and my M4 power supplies and it seemed to work fine, although I could hear slight noise, but very inaudible with music playing. If I had to do it again, I'd probably try that first. One thing I didnt like about the inverter is the standby current it drained my battery if my truck sat for two days or more and then would give an annoying high pitch beep. I remember the first time I heard it i was like WTF when I walked by my truck and then discovered what it was lol.. anyway yeah if you do a similar setup you'll have to let me know how it all works.

    BTW, i supposed the advantage of 12VDC setup is everything is running off the standard 12v constant, 12 turn-on, and ground wires so they are controlled like everything else. I'm not sure how the prosound gear would work if you connected to a inverter, perhaps some sort of relay controlled by the ignition that cut power between the gear and inverter? Or turned off the inverter entirely, but then the computer would need to be in hibernation or off, so one wouldn't have quick boots from standby/sleep. Let me know i'm curious about this. Right now my turn key to music is near instant with windows 7 in standby.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
  2. scion tc center console 8" fab
    By know_fun in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 03:11 PM
  3. 2003 BMW M3 Custom Dash / Overhead Console
    By gork in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 373
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM
  4. Windows Vista W/nView!
    By 97GST in forum Operating System Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 08:46 PM
  5. Custom Center Console
    By azoodica in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 11:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •