2008 VW Rabbit Super Stock LOOK
2008 VW Rabbit Carputer Install
I wanted to get the old radio and I mean "RADIO" out and put something more in. The stock option is way to expensive for a closed end solution. 1700 bucks crazy!! I can put in a crazy audio system and car computer that has all the trimmings and more.
PC Parts Used
Black Double Din Nano-ITX Carputer Enclosure
Zotac ION Atom Board A
2 GB DDR 667 Ram
30 OCZ Vertex SSD
4 Port USB Hub
Kenwood 720 watt 4 channel amp
Infinity Component Speakers
7.1 Channel USB Soundcard from Creative
Ideas for Build:
1. I want a stock look
2. I want a system replacement not addition
3. Upgradable and expandable
4. Keep within a small budget
Order of Operations for Build
1. Decide where and how I will install my ideas listed above
2. Find Parts I want to use!
3. Purchase parts $$$$
4. Fabricate the double din case designed for a smaller board to fit my larger board
-Note I wanted a replacement head unit PC, screen, and most of the components live behind the screen true replacement solution.
5. Rip apart interior and take out paper speakers. New infinity speaker system with 720 watt 4 channel amp from Kenwood.
6. Run all new speaker wire. This was the tough part. Gentle Please!
7. Install amp and route wires to sound card for input.
-Note I know I don't have true 7.1 channel but that is really all that is available for USB sound cards as my board does not have the dedicated rear and front outputs jacks like the dedicated cad.
8. Mount PC/ screen in dash with customer slightly modded Metra double din kit. Lilliput screen is a little to big. No matter Dremel fixes all not for my size issues.
9. Test system this mean bugs which have to be fixed. Biggest problem keep the system looking stock. Space is always an issue.
10. The good part take a long ride to break her in. New speakers amazing compared to stock speakers.
1. Fusion Brain
- Interior Accent Lights Via screen
- HVAC Replacement and Automation (Possibilty need a programmer)
- Blind Spot Detection and notification ( Ardiuno, IR Distance Sensors, and Programmer)
2. PC Relocation for better cooling and expansion. New Board and case.
3. Add sub (Not a big deal yet as current system sounds good and $$$$.
4. Improve sound system beyond what it is already.
- Hardware DSPs
- Better soundcard
- Possible true 7.1 surround
5. Custom Heads UP Display ( Really want / working on it Currently!)
-Navigation Data could be displayeed on this full color maps maybe.
-Speed/ other ob2/ can bus readings
PICTURE OF IN DASH SHOT
Computer Location and Audio Wiring
I placed the computer behind the screen in a case i both of of the MP3 car site. I will tell you the case was not designed for my board I had to mod a lot. The finished product looks like a double din head unit as you can see in the pictures.
The advatage to replacing wires for a upgraded power audio system is better sound. The exisiting wires in my car were not rated for the power I was looking to achieve. I went with a720watt amp and full component speakers. My secret is that I have a few friend I know that guided me to the end result you see above in my picture.
I am also a very computer technician but ws not so knowledgable with sound and wiring. I learned a lot over the entire process.