So, when do you approximate you'll be finished?
So, when do you approximate you'll be finished?
Won der full job !!!
---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------
---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------
Centrafuse came out with new version this week, so I need to upgrade that software. That's a major install so I suspect that will take up my day on Sunday.
---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------
The standoffs I got at the same place I got the Epoxy, http://www.theflightshop.com/Cataspx307.html. I used some larger standoffs for the amps I got from my buddy but you can get similar larger ones from The Flight shop as well. If you get the epoxy, it ain't cheap, get a couple of tubes because the shipping kills you because it's considered hazardous material. I made the mistake of buying one tube, 14 bucks, the shipping was $35....DAMN.
---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------
Ok, let’s take a look at the sub enclosure now. I selected a couple of DLS 10 inch reference subs for my install. These are Single Voice Coil 2 ohm impedance subs:
They need an 18 liter enclosure, this is the biggest limitation on the size of the sub I can/want to use as I want to build a fiberglass enclosure that will sit in each back corner of the car. Now, I’m a bit concerned if I will have enough volume in that space given it’s shape and clearance issues of the sub, false floor and closure of the hatch. I’ve also got to make the boxes symmetrical in appearance, take into account the height of the driver above the box to make sure not only the hatch closed but does not touch any part of the driver or box so it does not resonate. Big things to accomplish.
So we start off by laying out what needs to go where and limitations of size and shape. We started by cutting out pieces of cardboard and laying them in the corner and cutting to shape. Once we got things cut to shape, we used a hot glue gun to “weld” the pieces together.
So, we have the two sides made. My fiberglass buddy uses these cardboard templates to act as a skeleton to apply the fiberglass. Here he started to apply layers of glass mat and resin:
After several layers we end up with a bottom and sides:
---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------
Sub Part 2:
Once those basic boxes are done, I make a pair of sub rings for the driver to sit on top of and for attaching. I make these out of MDF and a router with a circle cutter. I screw up the first one but the next two come out just fine.
Next thing we did was to fine fit the sub box we’ve made so far for a better fit in the car. I was originally going to cut out the carpet where the sub was going to sit but later decided that was not a good idea and left the carpet in place and fitted it that way. What we did was cut the sub box fiberglass pieces along the edges and used those pieces for a more precise fit and look of the box. Once in place, we hot glued those pieces together. From here we drilled 4 holes through the rings and used wooden dowel rods to secure the ring to the sub box using hot glue.
We then fit the box and ring assembly back into the car to make sure we had the clearance we needed. Once everything was set, my friend then finished up the fiber glassing job. Sorry, no picture of that. But he spent a boat load of time doing it and the box is very thick and rigid as all getout.
He shaped the box and then gave it a quick covering of a flat satin type finish which was to be temporary but so far I kind of like it. The box was secured to the back of the car using two lag bolts that go through the back tail assembly through a pair of holes that were already there for a pair of plastic cargo hooks used for the cargo net in the back.
Here’ what it looks like:
The amazing thing was we hit the volume of the box right on the nose. We needed 18-20 liters and the box volumed out to 21 liters. This was checked but placing a plastic bag inside the box and then filling it with water 500 mL at a time….42 times. I didn’t think there was any way we would have hit the volume but sometimes it’s good to be lucky.
I'm a little worried here, this almost looks like you are coming to the end stages of this project which means:
A) You are going to be able to drive that Z06 again, and
B) You are going to need a new project!!
Damn, that is some extensive work, I cannot wait to see what this puppy looks like when she is all finished up and going. Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding work :)
Oufs , great again job around these sub woofer HP ! I learn more when is see these pictures !
Actuallly, I've been driving the car since last March. Some of those pictures are almost 2 years old. I didn't start posting my build thread until I was actually almost done with the project. I've been driving the car for a year now and everything works fine.
I've got to finish the other sub box, paint the floor and have the custom mat made. After that I just need to do a fine tune of the audio system and that's it.
It's been a while since I visited the forums. The mp3car monthly newsletter brought me to your thread.
What an incredible install. Almost as impressive is the extensive write-up you've contributed thus far. I know that by the time you get done, it's tough to go back and document everything you endured along the way. Excellent project, Jay.
Give me closure!! Finish the project updates! :thumb: I know you are probably out actually enjoying the car, but I would consider it a great personal favor if you at least gave us a snapshot of the finished product. :nod: Looking forward to whatever else you have to show us on this one! Thanks!