Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Costley - Holden VE SSV Apple Mini Mac Install

  1. #1
    Newbie Green_M4chine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    13

    Costley - Holden VE SSV Apple Mini Mac Install

    Hi everyone, I have spent a while on this project but finally I have something worth posting here.
    First of all the aim was to have an apple mini mac carpc running on the OEM screen with no impact on OEM functions and controls.

    Parts
    • Power Supply (CarNetix P-1900)
    • Display OEM Head unit
    • Touch Screen Overlay
    • Computer (Mac Mini)
    • ELM327 Bluetooth OBD
    • PICO VGA to RCA Convertor
    • GPS (USGlobalSat BU-353)
    • VE Video In Motion kit (VIM)
    • Aux-in (RCA) cable
    • Windows 7
    • Centrafuse
    • 3.5mm to RCA
    • Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse


    Install:
    • CarNetix power supply [Installed]
    • RCA Aux-In for OEM DIsplay [Installed]
    • VIM Module - this overrides the OEM display cut out at over 10km/h [Installed]
    • Apple Mini Mac [Installed]
    • Touch Screen Overlay and usb module [Installed]


    Tasks
    • Route all wiring to back of glove box [Complete]
    • Connect VGA to RCA Convertor to computer and aux-in [Complete]
    • Connect 3.5mm jack to RCA aux-in [Complete]
    • Hide GPS Unit in dash [Complete]
    • Software - Install windows 7 and Centrafuse [Complete]
    • Connect Bluetooth Periphals [Complete]

    Wish List
    • External WiFi Antenna [Planned]
    • Working Wireless Broadband - using BLINK [Planned]
    • Camera to record driving events [Planned]
    • Powered USB Hub [Planned]


    Now this is the vehicle it is installed in;




    Now pictures of the setup and stereo...





    Here is a quick video of the OEM head unit;

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    62
    After looking at you project I see you are using a VGA to RCA convert so I decided to check the idea out as standard RCA video does not give the best picture.

    So I found a Connector diagram and well as I suspected the screen has RGB input on it which would be used to feed in things such as a NAV unit because it requires more detail.

    Here I have atached a copy of the diagram I found and if you get someone to do this it will give you a much better picture quality.

    The yellow is how you are connected now and the red, green, blue, grey is where I will be connecting mine.

    I also added an image of the addapter cable

    Also as a side note get you hands on a Joycon so you can use your steering controls in pc mode as well.



    Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by MagicMan; 09-11-2011 at 12:49 AM.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Awesome! This is huge! Where can I get plug and play component rear aux input cables like this? I'm in the US and have been stuck using composite(all of us Pontiac G8s have) this will be a great upgrade for all my projects planned.

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    62
    Well from what I can find there is nothing premade or plug and play.

    This was just an idea I worked out after finding a diagram and some research on converting VGA to RCA.

    This will all need to be tested to ensure everything is going to work correctly.

    I am in the processes of upgrading cars so I am unable to test.

    But this is not something I would try if you are unsure what you are doing.

    I guess this has not been looked at before as the current companies that supply the current RCA composite adapter had not thought about people wanting to feed a VGA signal into the factory screen.

    Michael

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    Well from what I can find there is nothing premade or plug and play.

    This was just an idea I worked out after finding a diagram and some research on converting VGA to RCA.

    This will all need to be tested to ensure everything is going to work correctly.

    I am in the processes of upgrading cars so I am unable to test.

    But this is not something I would try if you are unsure what you are doing.

    I guess this has not been looked at before as the current companies that supply the current RCA composite adapter had not thought about people wanting to feed a VGA signal into the factory screen.

    Michael
    Thanks for the info anyways though. I can't believe it hasn't been explored in more detail already.

  6. #6
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    i think everything looks horrible. you should send the truck to me(in the US where they don't make those).

    great job!



    i really wish GM would bring these trucks to the US... the '08-11's are perfectly styled(meaning that if they do bring them to the US, they will feel the need to change the styling to something uglier) and i would buy one in a heartbeat... i have even tossed around the idea of shipping one into the US--even with all the legalities, or building one out of a wrecked g8...

  7. #7
    It ain't easy being a green moderator meddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Steps out the front of Henson's workshop or Sydney
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i think everything looks horrible. you should send the truck to me(in the US where they don't make those).

    great job!


    i really wish GM would bring these trucks to the US... the '08-11's are perfectly styled(meaning that if they do bring them to the US, they will feel the need to change the styling to something uglier) and i would buy one in a heartbeat... i have even tossed around the idea of shipping one into the US--even with all the legalities, or building one out of a wrecked g8...
    Rumour was they were going to take them to the US until the GFC happened.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

  8. #8
    Newbie Green_M4chine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    Well from what I can find there is nothing premade or plug and play.

    This was just an idea I worked out after finding a diagram and some research on converting VGA to RCA.

    This will all need to be tested to ensure everything is going to work correctly.

    I am in the processes of upgrading cars so I am unable to test.

    But this is not something I would try if you are unsure what you are doing.

    I guess this has not been looked at before as the current companies that supply the current RCA composite adapter had not thought about people wanting to feed a VGA signal into the factory screen.

    Michael
    I have explored/still exploring this option, I need to get the NAV module so that will activate the NAV (RGB) input on my radio. No Limit Electronics should do something.

    The JoyCon - I dont see that it would be of any benefit to me as I can still control the volume and mute from the steering wheel..

  9. #9
    Newbie Green_M4chine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by careboy View Post
    very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i think everything looks horrible. you should send the truck to me(in the US where they don't make those).

    great job!



    i really wish GM would bring these trucks to the US... the '08-11's are perfectly styled(meaning that if they do bring them to the US, they will feel the need to change the styling to something uglier) and i would buy one in a heartbeat... i have even tossed around the idea of shipping one into the US--even with all the legalities, or building one out of a wrecked g8...
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNate View Post
    Awesome! This is huge! Where can I get plug and play component rear aux input cables like this? I'm in the US and have been stuck using composite(all of us Pontiac G8s have) this will be a great upgrade for all my projects planned.

    Thanks for the comments guys appreciate it - would be cool to see them sold in the US, if you use RGB you can still use RCA aswell. RCA is AUX and RGB is NAV.

  10. #10
    Newbie Green_M4chine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    13
    After some advice tho now, I want to look at getting a usb cam that I can use to record driving events such as Powercruise at the end of the month, what high quality ones are out there that can be mounted discretely?

    Thinking maybe this; Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
    Last edited by Green_M4chine; 09-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
  2. 2004 VY Holden Commodore Full Install (AU)
    By soyfish in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 06:36 AM
  3. Holden VX SS LS1 CarPC Install
    By XRTHIS in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
  4. 01 Holden COmmodore Install - First Install
    By trigge in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 03:02 AM
  5. Holden VY Commodore Install
    By Milo in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 07:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •