Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Kindle Fire Rooted with ICS CM9 installed into a Volvo S70

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate knownchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    141

    Kindle Fire Rooted with ICS CM9 installed into a Volvo S70



    Name:  IMG_20120815_232611.jpg
Views: 4164
Size:  867.1 KB

    The Kindle Fire has almost the exact dimensions of the double din in a Volvo S70, (98-2000) as far as i know....

    I simply create a hotspot on my android GsII or a mobile hotspot device and have the Kindle Fire connect to that, that being said it has GPS (through Hotspot) and internet.

    Kindle Runs to my audio input and thus awesomeness.

    Over all the project was around $230

    I did very slight dremeling to dash, all looks oem.

    Please let me know if you would like more pictures and please leave comments
    Never accept STOCK equipment.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    14
    Hello,
    Nice setup you have now...
    I have one question. You said you can use GPS being connected to the SGSII. Do you have any app for that, to share the GPS signal in the network? Or it will take automatically the position out of 3G network and that is all it needs for navigation?
    Thank you!

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate knownchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    141

    Gps

    Quote Originally Posted by catalinux View Post
    Hello,
    Nice setup you have now...
    I have one question. You said you can use GPS being connected to the SGSII. Do you have any app for that, to share the GPS signal in the network? Or it will take automatically the position out of 3G network and that is all it needs for navigation?
    Thank you!
    Unfortunately you cannot use your 3g for navigation but you can tether your phones gps to your device through wifi: (see link below)

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gps_lite&hl=en

    http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic....ilit=TetherGPS
    Last edited by knownchild; 09-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    Never accept STOCK equipment.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    14
    OK, thanks for the info!

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10
    That is a clean install with a tablet. How is readability in sunlight in a car environment?

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate knownchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by jayknight View Post
    That is a clean install with a tablet. How is readability in sunlight in a car environment?
    Never have an issue with sunlight, i can read it at all times.
    Never accept STOCK equipment.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jayknight View Post
    That is a clean install with a tablet. How is readability in sunlight in a car environment?
    That is awesome news. This will inspired my own build.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    36
    Hi I just watched your video.

    I wanted to make a few comments with your setup of the tablet, I've played with mine so when the power turns on, it automatically start up, no loading.

    You said you've used tasker, it can be tricky to get working, I had much swearing before I figured it out. But it's worth it, I'd recommend getting tasker to sense when the tablet is powered on or off. When the power is unplugged (car turned off), make it go into airport mode, and screen off, and if you really want to play cycle down the cpu. In this state, depending on the battery you can get a week minimum, with the nexus 7 I got 2 weeks before it died, and I was still using it a little.

    Then when it's powered on (key turned on), make it screen on, out of airport mode, cpu cycled up, skip the lock screen, and go into whatever app you like, ie radio/torque, and auto tether to your phone, and always stay on, ect.

    Then it'll work without you touching a thing. The load up time with yours would bug me, this way would be up and running within 2 or 3 seconds of power.

    Let me know if you want a hand programming tasker, it's honestly the best way to go, I can talk you through it.

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate knownchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    141

    That would be great :)

    Quote Originally Posted by columnmn View Post
    Hi I just watched your video.

    I wanted to make a few comments with your setup of the tablet, I've played with mine so when the power turns on, it automatically start up, no loading.

    You said you've used tasker, it can be tricky to get working, I had much swearing before I figured it out. But it's worth it, I'd recommend getting tasker to sense when the tablet is powered on or off. When the power is unplugged (car turned off), make it go into airport mode, and screen off, and if you really want to play cycle down the cpu. In this state, depending on the battery you can get a week minimum, with the nexus 7 I got 2 weeks before it died, and I was still using it a little.

    Then when it's powered on (key turned on), make it screen on, out of airport mode, cpu cycled up, skip the lock screen, and go into whatever app you like, ie radio/torque, and auto tether to your phone, and always stay on, ect.

    Then it'll work without you touching a thing. The load up time with yours would bug me, this way would be up and running within 2 or 3 seconds of power.

    Let me know if you want a hand programming tasker, it's honestly the best way to go, I can talk you through it.
    I do believe tasker saves the task settings to a file, if you could somehow export that i could add it to my tasker and see how you have that setup.
    Much appreciated
    Never accept STOCK equipment.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4
    How do you get it to play through your cars speakers, what did you use?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM
  2. anyone used a kindle fire?
    By aford89 in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM
  3. kindle fire in a wrx as head unit
    By LP560 in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 12:43 AM
  4. Rooted NookColor on my Indash
    By JCAndroid87 in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 05:38 PM
  5. Rooted EVO 4G as remote! (Pics and Videos inside)
    By Mikey-Z in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •