Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 107

Thread: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette 7" Android Tablet Install

  1. #61
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by yanky View Post
    You know, youre right, mine looks like your screenshot. I was reading the description of it wrong when it said "2 x 1" and interpreted that as 2 high instead of 2 long by 1 high. Oops. Still though, the one in your video was a much thinner pinstripe of a volume bar instead of the big chunky bar that your screenshot shows and thats what I was hoping for when I installed the widget. It must have been something to do with cyanogenmod.

    Also, glad to see another Skrillex fan
    Yep, Skrillex FTW.

    The "thin pinstripe" version of the volume slider app is due to Jelly Bean, not cyanogenmod. It is also a thin pinstripe on my stock rom nexus10.

  2. #62
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by brutog View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion on the equipment. I'm definitely not a car audio buff. I'm a headphone guy.

    I keep running into road blocks with the build. I'm dead set on having a jellybean rom but it seems like anything with apt-x support (samsung galaxy tab 7.0 plus or 7.7) both will not get jellybean. If I go with CM10 it seems that I will lose apt-x. Back to the drawing board on a bit perfect HDMI -> SPDIF -> DAC solution.

    I have an Asus Prime Infinity 10" that I actually have 1 part of the project working on. I can mount a 2TB exFAT hard drive and play FLAC off of it. This tablet does have an HDMI out so maybe this tablet would be good...other than the fact that I think fitting it in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata would be hard.
    A headphone guy eh? I just bought my first set of grado's. I LOVE 'em!! Not their reference cans by any means, I got the 80i's, but I'm still very impressed, especially considering they're only $99.

    I feel your pain regarding getting a pure digital high sample rate signal out of a tablet. APT-X will hopefully gain in popularity, but if you want to get this project started soon, it may not be a viable option. I wish I had the "awesomeO-5000" answer for you, but if I had that, I would've used it as well. Good luck!

  3. #63
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by int21 View Post
    I really love this is installation, thanks for sharing.

    I'm interested in the power switch button you installed: could you explain me how it works?
    (I'm a noob so a wiring schema should be perfect )
    Hmm, sorry but I'm drawing a blank on what you mean by "power switch button"... could you elaborate?

  4. #64
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SDB_FTW View Post
    A headphone guy eh? I just bought my first set of grado's. I LOVE 'em!! Not their reference cans by any means, I got the 80i's, but I'm still very impressed, especially considering they're only $99.

    I feel your pain regarding getting a pure digital high sample rate signal out of a tablet. APT-X will hopefully gain in popularity, but if you want to get this project started soon, it may not be a viable option. I wish I had the "awesomeO-5000" answer for you, but if I had that, I would've used it as well. Good luck!
    I have the Grado 325i Reference Series. I can definitely recommend them. I had some success with the HDMI out method using the Asus Infinity. I was hoping that pluging a mic into the 2in1 headphone jack wouldn't disrupt the audio out on the HDMI, but it does. I'm thinking maybe I can live without an external microphone. I'm also thinking the Infinity isn't worth the trouble of installation. It's 10" which would be tough work for my car, and to get USB working while charging I think I'd have to buy their $100+ dock and hack it apart. I haven't seen an OTG while charging method for the Infinity...

    Might just go for the Nexus 7. It's 7" so easy to install, and has all the USB stuff working. Will just have to live without a mic.

  5. #65
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by SDB_FTW View Post
    Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time posting. Thanks in advance to this forum and its members for advice in many aspects of this install!

    I recently finished installing a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0 in my corvette to replace my current pioneer stereo! I'm far from finished, but the initial install is done.

    For reference, my original install thread is HERE.

    Still to do:
    1) Install Parrot CK3000 bluetooth hands-free kit
    2) Build circuits to interface steering wheel controls with tablet

    --------------------
    MOUNTING SYSTEM
    --------------------
    First, I fab'd mounting brackets out of 1/8" flat steel rods from Home Depot. I bought a cracked console bezel (hence the tape) to use for test fitting. I also bought and murdered a metra double-din adapter from crutchfield.



















    --------------------
    DISASSEMBLED DOC
    --------------------
    I bought and disassembled a Samsung tablet doc so that I could have a very low profile interface connection. The vette left almost NO room to either side for connectivity, so this had to be thought out a fair bit.









    --------------------
    CYANOGENMOD AND EXTERNAL MIC
    --------------------
    I rooted and installed cyanogenmod10 on the tablet, and bought a right-angle 3-signal headphone jack interface with the electronics and external microphone.



    --------------------
    INSTALLATION
    --------------------
    Here are some pictures of the actuall install into the corvette.









    --------------------
    DEMO VIDEO
    --------------------
    See it in action!



    Is the 3 signal Jack to phono cable a standard generic cable or is it specific to Samsung

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

  6. #66
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by krisperry View Post
    Is the 3 signal Jack to phono cable a standard generic cable or is it specific to Samsung

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Not specific to Samsung. Some phones and tablets have headphone jacks that are called "2 in 1" jacks. If the device you are using has a 2 in 1 jack, this cable will work fine. For example, my Asus Prime Infinity 10" tablet has a 2 in 1 jack, while the Google Nexus 7 does not.

  7. #67
    Low Bitrate SierraStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by krisperry View Post
    Is the 3 signal Jack to phono cable a standard generic cable or is it specific to Samsung

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Pretty sure he said earlier he ordered a generic one from China.

    And to the OP, nice build, looks clean. I'm also messing with a tablet for the truck, but only mounting it temporarily while I work on the actual pc. But if I end up liking the tablet, I'll probably keep both, I've got the dash space for it. I'll be watching your thread for more great ideas, thanks.
    Last edited by SierraStroker; 12-02-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    F350 Superduty 7.3L Diesel - build thread

  8. #68
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    So I may need some input from you SDB. I took my entire dash apart tonight to take measurements and see what space was behind it, and its not good news. I had originally planned to push the factory headunit back and continue to use it as my amp for the tablet, but the headunit takes up all the space behind the dash. I also wanted to do this so that I could mount the tablet in front of the headunit and have the tab be removable, both for security and so I can use the factory stereo in those moments of need. Without heavy modification to both the dash and the headunit, none of this is possible. Also, my tab is literally like 1/16" too tall top to bottom, when in lansdcape, to fit in the dash hole. I basically didnt catch a single break.

    I really wanted to be as close to stock as possible or be able to get back to stock pretty easily, and Im not thrilled about possibly losing the radio function of my car. I personally hardly use it but when driving friends or ladies around, its nice to let them pick the music from the radio and just let it go. Also, once I lose the headunit, I lose my steering wheel controls without installing a fairly costly adapter. Then theres the matter of modifying the dash to allow the tab to be removable. I know how I want to do this, but trimming away the factory dash plastic seems like it could easily turn bad and have that crappy unfinished look. Arg.

    So my question is, do you have any input on a decent amp for powering factory speakers in a vehicle? Small enough to fit inside my dash headunit hole would be awesome but somehow I doubt thats possible. My other option would be to mount it under the passenger seat which has plenty of room, and run the cabling either along the door jam and under the glove box, or under the center console. Optimally Im trying not to blow a ton of money here as this install has already gotten way out of hand.

    Lastly, Im on an unlocked iphone through Tmobile so Im running the slowest cell connection ever since it wasnt really made for that, pretty much useless for streaming web music. I might have to upgrade to a phone that is meant for the Tmobile network so that I can get 3g speeds and then have radio through tune-in radio and the like. Theres another few hundred. Lol.

  9. #69
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraStroker View Post
    Pretty sure he said earlier he ordered a generic one from China.

    And to the OP, nice build, looks clean. I'm also messing with a tablet for the truck, but only mounting it temporarily while I work on the actual pc. But if I end up liking the tablet, I'll probably keep both, I've got the dash space for it. I'll be watching your thread for more great ideas, thanks.
    Thanks, and good luck with your project! If you ever start a build thread, shoot me a PM.

  10. #70
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by yanky View Post
    So I may need some input from you SDB. I took my entire dash apart tonight to take measurements and see what space was behind it, and its not good news. I had originally planned to push the factory headunit back and continue to use it as my amp for the tablet, but the headunit takes up all the space behind the dash. I also wanted to do this so that I could mount the tablet in front of the headunit and have the tab be removable, both for security and so I can use the factory stereo in those moments of need. Without heavy modification to both the dash and the headunit, none of this is possible. Also, my tab is literally like 1/16" too tall top to bottom, when in lansdcape, to fit in the dash hole. I basically didnt catch a single break.

    I really wanted to be as close to stock as possible or be able to get back to stock pretty easily, and Im not thrilled about possibly losing the radio function of my car. I personally hardly use it but when driving friends or ladies around, its nice to let them pick the music from the radio and just let it go. Also, once I lose the headunit, I lose my steering wheel controls without installing a fairly costly adapter. Then theres the matter of modifying the dash to allow the tab to be removable. I know how I want to do this, but trimming away the factory dash plastic seems like it could easily turn bad and have that crappy unfinished look. Arg.

    So my question is, do you have any input on a decent amp for powering factory speakers in a vehicle? Small enough to fit inside my dash headunit hole would be awesome but somehow I doubt thats possible. My other option would be to mount it under the passenger seat which has plenty of room, and run the cabling either along the door jam and under the glove box, or under the center console. Optimally Im trying not to blow a ton of money here as this install has already gotten way out of hand.

    Lastly, Im on an unlocked iphone through Tmobile so Im running the slowest cell connection ever since it wasnt really made for that, pretty much useless for streaming web music. I might have to upgrade to a phone that is meant for the Tmobile network so that I can get 3g speeds and then have radio through tune-in radio and the like. Theres another few hundred. Lol.
    That's some rotten luck there man.

    One option, though probably not one that you're a fan of, is to sell the Tab2 and get something like a Nexus7. The Nexus7 isn't quite as tall as the Tab2 in landscape, so it should fit in your space. Keep in mind that the Nexus7 is a bit wider in landscape mode, however. You could also get the new Nexus7 that has GSM built in. It's labelled as AT&T from Google's specs, but it is an unlocked device, so it should work on your TMobile network, though you should probably confirm that.

    For a small amp to power factory speakers, I'd look into the bybyte amp (LINK). VERY small, and provides as much power as most aftermarket head units. I have never used one personally, but a guy on the vette forums installed a Nexus7 in his vette using this bybyte amp with success. It's specifically designed for Carputer applications so it should work well for you. Out of curiosity, what steering wheel controls adapter are you referencing?

    An unlocked iPhone on TMobile's network should deliver 3G speeds. I have friends that have done this before, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. To be honest, having a tablet as your stereo is certainly cool, but I honestly don't think the project is worth it if you aren't delivering internet access to it somehow. That's where the features of having a tablet in your dash really shine. Without internet access, it's really just a pretty screen that plays audio from a hard drive. I took on my project because I think it's cool to have access to email, voicemail, cloud storage, maps, Google Now, and much more via a tablet in my dash.

    I think I covered your questions, lemme know if there's anything I missed. I haven't been getting notifications from mp3car.com lately, so I'll do a better job of checking this thread in the future.

Similar Threads

  1. Porsche Cayenne Android Tablet Install
    By reedickyaluss in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 06:48 AM
  3. **2008 VW GTI Nexus 7 Tablet install**
    By maresgti12 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM
  4. Android Tablet Install
    By rgscomputers in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
  5. Android tablet hovering over the Dash install.
    By RipplingHurst in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •