Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Nexus 7 in 2001 A4, fully loaded!

  1. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Hi,

    It would be nice if you explained in more detail how you built that double din box.

  2. #12
    CMS
    CMS is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan1 View Post
    -reverse camera set up, and mostly works now (using an older version of CarCam software until I'm satisfied with newer versions)
    Which is the chipset used in your EasyCap capture card? I have the UTV007 chipset and it works fine but it shows a lot of interlacing lines while the camera is moving, literally making it useless. Any idea about the possible workaround?

  3. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmyst87 View Post
    Hi,

    It would be nice if you explained in more detail how you built that double din box.
    Sure. Basically it's just a project box from Radio Shack:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062284

    Then I drilled a bunch of holes in it, mounted the double-din brackets that came with the double-din mounting kit for my car, used double-sided adhesive-backed foam tape to secure the white shell onto one side, and filled the box up with stuff.
    You can see the white shell in this picture:

    The white shell is a vacuum-formed piece I made with a DIY vacuum forming machine, that gets put into the oven with a sheet of plastic until the plastic is soft enough.


    Quote Originally Posted by CMS View Post
    Which is the chipset used in your EasyCap capture card? I have the UTV007 chipset and it works fine but it shows a lot of interlacing lines while the camera is moving, literally making it useless. Any idea about the possible workaround?
    My EasyCap is a STK1160 (the original).
    Last edited by MetalMan1; 04-01-2014 at 12:36 PM.

  4. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Great work!!

  5. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Barnsley, UK
    Posts
    6
    Just been reading through this with great interest as im collecting parts for my own N7 build.

    My only question would be what are you using to charge the N7 and power the USB hub? I have plans to use a DCDC-USB-200 but if there's an easier way then im all up for it

  6. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by BriST View Post
    Just been reading through this with great interest as im collecting parts for my own N7 build.

    My only question would be what are you using to charge the N7 and power the USB hub? I have plans to use a DCDC-USB-200 but if there's an easier way then im all up for it
    Hi, I'm using these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HPB1OI/
    Adjustable regulators, set to about 5.2-5.3 volts (both set to the same level), and then they are wired in parallel. This is an extremely inexpensive solution but requires soldering and such, and has proven to work extremely well for the past 5 months or so. Just keep your cables short and as few connectors between the power supply and tablet, and you should be good!

  7. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Barnsley, UK
    Posts
    6
    Excellent, thanks for the information. Ive found some on ebay like the ones you have used, so i may buy a few just in case they decide to give up on me.

    When you say they're wired in parallel, do you have a picture or could do a diagran as im a bit rusty on the electrical wiring side of things

    I'll be using one of these USB hubs as a way of distributing the power/data, in your opinion would it be easy to hook this up to the regulators? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1508950388...84.m1439.l2649

    Thanks

  8. #18
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan1 View Post
    Hi, I'm using these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HPB1OI/
    Adjustable regulators, set to about 5.2-5.3 volts (both set to the same level), and then they are wired in parallel. This is an extremely inexpensive solution but requires soldering and such, and has proven to work extremely well for the past 5 months or so. Just keep your cables short and as few connectors between the power supply and tablet, and you should be good!
    I used those as well for my Nexus 7 but started having issues as temperatures approached 90 degrees outside; I've now switched to a 100W DC-DC USB that seems to handle the heat far better.
    "You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller" - Wierd Al

  9. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by blafrisch View Post
    I used those as well for my Nexus 7 but started having issues as temperatures approached 90 degrees outside; I've now switched to a 100W DC-DC USB that seems to handle the heat far better.
    That's interesting. They have been fine for me so far, but it's only just begun to get hot (100 degrees here in Southern California) since I installed them. We'll see!

  10. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by BriST View Post
    Excellent, thanks for the information. Ive found some on ebay like the ones you have used, so i may buy a few just in case they decide to give up on me.

    When you say they're wired in parallel, do you have a picture or could do a diagran as im a bit rusty on the electrical wiring side of things

    I'll be using one of these USB hubs as a way of distributing the power/data, in your opinion would it be easy to hook this up to the regulators? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1508950388...84.m1439.l2649

    Thanks
    By parallel, I mean that the positive of each unit's output is wired together to a single wire, and same with the negative. I also wired the inputs this way (in parallel).
    If you buy/make a splitter cable you can achieve this moderately easily, with fewer connections to improve the tablet's ability to charge. Here's a simple schematic:



    The USB hub in my car is a powered hub so mine is wired a little differently, but my previous setup used a similar arrangement to this picture.
    You would have to make sure both regulators are set to the same voltage (preferably about 5.2V) before connecting them together, otherwise they will fight each other.
    BriST likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fully loaded Car PC for sale
    By devin99 in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 03:21 PM
  3. FT: Great Dell laptop, fully loaded for carpc
    By dazuck in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 09:40 AM
  4. Fully Loaded Desktop system for sale
    By Cliff in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 12:32 PM
  5. BookPC Fully Loaded For Sell
    By DAlba in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2001, 10:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •