Audi A6 custom install carpc with fingerprint recognition
Inspired by reading your posts, I took on the task of designing my car pc. Being as hands-on as I am I was originally planning on building my car pc, but after weeks of research and deciding exactly what I wanted to do with it, I decided to buy a pre-built system (sorry everyone). I had the system custom installed at a shop in Rahway, NJ (www.streeteffectz.com) after seeing them featured in Eurotuner magazine for an amazing BMW 3 series. It was the 1st time for them to do a carpc in an audi A6 and they did an amazing job.
Here are the specs:
Car: 98 Audi A6
CPU: Xenarc compact car pc - 1.3GHz CPU with 256MB
RAM, 20 GB HD, shared video RAM up to 1200x1600 res (I think - although I only use 800x600 for ease of access),8x DVD, 3 USB, 1 Firewire, Ethernet access - located under globebox; spray-painted black to match dash; ventilation drilled under glove box to prevent over-heating; removable (very important) - pull out.
Sound system: original Bose headunit repositioned under glovebox with toggle switch under driver dash to switch sound from 6 CD changer vs. sound from PC
Monitor: Lilliput 7" touchscreen monitor custom built into the dash
Screenprotector: Nushield screenprotector custom cut to fit lilliput (thanks to Mark of Nushield) www.nushield.com
1. Biopod fingerprint recognition (for logging-in) - works flawlessly
2. Flexible/foldable USB keyboard
3. Gomadic modem cable (www.gomadic.com) to connect to Verizon internet access (up to 115KBs bursts using regular peak/off-peak minutes) - not advertised by Verizon but available if you search deep enough
4. AV inputs at center console for connecting X-box/Gamecube
5. GPS Navigation with limited voice commands - Copilot Live 7 (care of mp3car.com with discount)
6. 4 port USB hub in glovebox
7. External mic (from radioshack) spray-painted black to match dash
1. Windows XP Professional - with hibernation for quick start-up/shut down
2. Media Engine - buggy at times but overall still very functional
3. Copilot live 7 for GPS
4. Microsoft Word and Excel
5. Power DVD for DVD playback
6. Microsoft internet explorer
7. Mitchell on demand - Audi repair CD
Things to come:
VAG-COM USB cable to monitor diagnostics and fault codes
Audi A6 custom install with fingerprint recognition pix part 2
click attachments to view pictures (can't seem to place them into my post)...
will adjust picture sizes tomorrow
sorry i didn't read the rules for posting - will adjust the size of my pictures tomorrow...
in response to your posts...
break-ins don't seem to be a problem where I live (knock on wood...)
some might think fingerprint recognition is over the top but what the heck for $50. it's cool technology!