Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 2002 Mazda Protege

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12

    2002 Mazda Protege

    The case you see isn't finished yet. Soon it will have a panel for buttons/LEDs/ports and plexiglass on the front.

    VIA EPIA M-10000 w/ 1 ghz C3
    Maxtor 80GB
    Lite-On DVD-ROM
    256MB PC2100
    OPUS 150 watt
    DWW-7VGA
    SS2000CSS (rear-view camera)
    Sony CDX-MP80 head unit

    Windows XP Pro/Media Engine/Street Atlas USA 2004/8,000 mp3s
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  2. #2
    Top Ramen lgbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Spokane, WA, US
    Posts
    973
    Not bad.

    But if I'm in the passenger seat, where do my feet go?
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

    Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate Avalerion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ
    Posts
    127
    Holy Crap! You gutted your Protege!

    I just got my Opus 150, so on Saturday I'll be installing it in my 2000 Protege. I tried pulling out the glovebox to see if there was any room... I don't see how you can fit it in there.

    A few questions:

    How did you manage to hang that sucker upside down?
    Where is the hard drive?
    Did you think about removing your passenger airbag to put the carputer inside?
    Is that an in-dash housing holding the LCD? (I bought the ProClip set since I couldn't find a better way.)

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12
    There's actually plenty of leg room when the seat is put back.


    Avalerion - The case we built is an extremely tight fit. The hard drive is behind the power supply, where you can see a round IDE cable going...the parts are just bolted to the case in the locations they're normally mounted to a standard tower. I thought about putting a PS2 in the passenger air bag location w/ plexiglass to replace the panel that pops off to let the air bag out. The computer is in a good location though because the A/C blows on the back of the case.

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    65
    Hey fellow Protege owners!

    I was thinking about cutting out the CD compartment insides in the center console and mounting the system in there and run the wires through the center tranmission tunnel.

    I am going to mount the screen in the DIN slot and I thought I could fit the Eden board behind it. Stupid fuse box! Then I thought I could put it in the glove box but of course there isn't a flat surface in that thing

    I was going to go for 100% continued use of the passenger space and trunk space, ie no intrusion of the system into usable space. The Protege just doesn't let you do that very well

    Keep me posted on how well you guys are doing.

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate Avalerion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ
    Posts
    127
    I just put it in the trunk. Make life simpler. The Protege doesn't have the most room inside the dash. My idea is to take out the passenger air bag - who needs it?

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalerion
    I just put it in the trunk. Make life simpler. The Protege doesn't have the most room inside the dash. My idea is to take out the passenger air bag - who needs it?
    I wanted to save as much space in the trunk as I could. And I want to access the DVD drive from the driver seat (that means 36" max from the motherboard location). And I would like to keep the VGA cables shorter than 15', so the trunk might be too far back.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate Katya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    141
    How much are you looking to spend? I'm starting work on mine this weekend and I plan to fit it all in my dash. But I am using all laptop drives, M10000, small power supply, and sticking a USB hub in the glove compartment. I'm going to see if I can mount the DVD-RW under the ashtray. I've got an extra bezel to mount the screen in. I also don't want to give up the trunk space or mount under the seat since I autox and you can't have anything loose and I don't want to have to remove it. As it is, I'll probably have to mount an amp under the passenger seat since I'll be going headless.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Katya
    How much are you looking to spend? I'm starting work on mine this weekend and I plan to fit it all in my dash. But I am using all laptop drives, M10000, small power supply, and sticking a USB hub in the glove compartment. I'm going to see if I can mount the DVD-RW under the ashtray. I've got an extra bezel to mount the screen in. I also don't want to give up the trunk space or mount under the seat since I autox and you can't have anything loose and I don't want to have to remove it. As it is, I'll probably have to mount an amp under the passenger seat since I'll be going headless.
    Well, I have side air bag componants under my seats so I can't use a conventional case under there. I was thinking about mounting the DVD drive under the ashtray, too.

    How were you putting the system in the dash, though? In a double din case?

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate gameboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by dbzeag
    I wanted to save as much space in the trunk as I could. And I want to access the DVD drive from the driver seat (that means 36" max from the motherboard location). And I would like to keep the VGA cables shorter than 15', so the trunk might be too far back.
    an external usb drive case would work for longer runs
    95 Mazda Protege LX
    Worklog
    Overall [Project Dead] 0%

    2003 Nissan Altima
    [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
    [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

    Worklog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's with the sudden flood of newbs?
    By ShinkunoNamida in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM
  2. 2002 Mazda Protege5
    By ELEmental59437 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 07:23 AM
  3. 2002 Z71 Truckputer, DONE!
    By jpainter99 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 12:13 AM
  4. Co-Pilot 2002 and Operating Systems
    By bosstone74 in forum GPS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2002, 07:18 PM
  5. Mazda and more car auto products
    By ToxicPoison in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2001, 03:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •