BMW 735 Car PC
Thanks mostly to the superb resource this site is, I have installed my Car PC!
1989 BMW 735il. 3.5L 6-cyl Automatic with 120,000kms on the clock.
I have an Athlon 1.4ghz system gathering dust since I upgraded to an Athlon64 so I used that.
- 1.4ghz CPU
- 40GB Seagate HD
- GeForce4 64mb graphics
- USB 2.0 card
- Onboard sound
- Custom plywood case
- 802.11b Wireless
- Lilliput VGA touchscreen mounted in the open space in front of the shifter.
- USB GPS Mouse mounted on the rear parcel shelf.
- 300watt Inverter with on/off switch up front
- Windows XP pro
- OZIExplorer for Roadmaps. There is no routing software available for New Zealand :mad:
- MediaCar (installed)
- Frodoplayer (testing)
- Bluetooth dongle for use with PhoneControl and for GPRS internet
- More permanent mounting for the screen
Again, without the help information available on this site, I would never have gotten this project off the ground! :)
Sorry about the power cord in the boot photo! I was uploading a bunch of MP3's that day so was using mains power...
This photo shows the switch-box for the PC and inverter on/off switches. I've used CAT-5 cable to bring these up front. I will also put some LEDs in there for PC power and HDD activity when I get a chance.
Now you have done the Basics. time to make it OEM.
That big space just behind the monitor, is dying for some fabrication.
yep, you're right.
I've been toying with the idea of constructing a wooden housing to fit the screen into, which would then be varnished to match the existing wood trim.
The thing is, I don't want to hack into the car much more than I already have, so I might have to be a bit creative with that. I kinda like the idea of having the screen removable...