The basic components of my project are complete!
I just finished wrapping my entire trim piece in black vinyl. The sun really made my paint fade over time, so I decided to wrap the entire piece in vinyl so the color wouldn't fade. I used a hairdryer, and a sheet of black vinyl from decaldriveway.com. The vinyl that I used can be found here: http://decaldriveway.com/ProductChoi...ductNum=she100 . It took some practice playing with the vinyl, and getting it to look perfect, but after a few tries it came out looking great. Let me know what you think.
-Epia Mini-ITX M10000 Mainboard
-512 MB DDR 2600 RAM
-30 Gig Western Digital Harddrive
-7" inch Lilliput touchscreen monitor
-Delorme USB GPS w/Map Point 2004
-90 watt OPUS Power Supply
-Sound Blaster MP3+ USB sound card
-Internet Capability w/cell phone
-Audiobanh 4 Channel amp, 75 watt x 4 RMS
-MediaCar, FrodoPlayer interfaces
-Slot load DVD in maplight location
-160 gig HD
-Front and rear cameras
-Headunit mounted in A-pilar (maybe)
Signature: [==||========] 20% complete
did you see the carbon fiber?
I see none. Looks good though... except one thing. I think I still see the outline of the screen casing, is that right? Is it all the way around, cause down where your buttons are, I don't see a crease.
The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.
any pics of the cameras?
How in the world would you put the special AirPort card in a PC? Mine is a Mac anyway but it's too old to AirPort. I just use a zip drive to transfer.
Sweet. Probably far easier than painting. And they have chrome and carbon fibre as options. Interesting...
You mean you think you see the outline of where the lilliput plastic would be? It might be the reflection, but there are no outlines of the lilliput plastic at all. Everything was sanded correctly, and its as smooth as a baby's bottom!Originally Posted by Tidder
I did see the other options, but I wanted to go for a plain look.
Thanks for all the comments!
Was it hard to get it so smooth? Did it require very careful cutting or does it shrink fit with the hair dryer (you can get plastic sheeting that does that for covering model airplanes... hmm there's an idea... ).
Honestly, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I ended up re-doing the vinyl 3 times, with the 3rd time being the final. Every time I messed up I had to throw away the vinyl and cut another piece.Originally Posted by Arathranar
The first thing I did was I had to MAKE SURE there was no larger dust particles, or traces of dirt on my trim piece. On my first attempt I had way too many tiny bumps on the surface of the vinyl, so I scrapped the whole thing and started over. ANY dust particle that was fairly large would show through the vinyl. I also recomend getting a vinyl sheet that is self-adhesive. I bought a self-adhesive sheet, and it allowed for very easy stretching and wrapping of tight corners. I can imagine that using glue would be one big mess.
The hair dryer was used to allow me to stretch the vinyl easier in places that needed it, and it also allowed me to shrink the vinyl once it was stuck onto the surface. I used super glue on corners and ends of the vinyl for a maximum hold.
Cutting the vinyl was fairly easy, but you need to be very careful. Once you cut you can't go back. I decided to stretch and glue the vinyl as far as I could go without cutting, then when I absolutely needed to cut the vinyl I did so.
Thanks for the complements!