Well, the project was technically finished and working, but a few issues have arisen:
- The Xenarc 700IDT touch screen is impossible to calibrate correctly, and the H-Position is flakey on the LCD. I've requested and RMA from Xenarc: to do so, I had to pull the unit from the dash to get the S/N. It'll stay out until I ship it to them and they hopefully fix or replace it.
- An earlier problem with the Xenarc 700IDT that I fixed myself was the LCD hinge screws coming loose and being catapulted into an unknown location by the spring-loaded hinge when I deployed the monitor. I found one of the screws fairly quickly, but it took several hours of searching with a flashlight and a magnet before I found the second one, which had fallen through a hole in the carpet where a heating duct comes through.
- Having the computer power on when I hit the power door unlock is turning out to be a pain in the *** since the Carnetix P1290 doesn't have any kind of timeout if the accessory power doesn't come on after turning on the computer. Basically, if I go out to the car to get my sunglasses, I have to stick around for 30 seconds so I can send a shutdown signal to the computer, or it'll stay on indefinitely. I'm considering just disconnecting that lead.
- My battery went dead the other day and I had to boost it to get to the office. I suspect it had something to do with the point above, and the Carnetix P1290 didn't cut power to the computer before the voltage dropped too low to start the engine. The X-Trail's got an interior dome light timeout, so I'm fairly sure the computer killed my battery.
- There's a WICKED buzz in the audio that corresponds to engine RPM. Experimenting with various grounding schemes didn't yield results, so I bought a ground loop isolator and enough cable to route the audio line on a path apart from the other cables. That'll all go in when I re-install the display.
- MapPoint crashes spontaneously now and then. (An unstable Microsoft product? I'm SHOCKED.)
Until I get the display back in and the "pulse start" issue worked out, I've just pulled the fuse on the whole system.