I made a bezel around the hvac controls and used a nail gun to join the pieces.
Then I sanded it down and angled the bottom so it would sit on the lower console the way I wanted it.
To get the hvac controls where I wanted I had to extend the manual cables. I used reinforced bike brake outer shield (with the inner wires running lengthwise) and wire from an old positron bike gear which was very similar to hard single stranded wire I've seen at hardware stores. I used ring terminal at the ends.
I used notebook backs on the sides to fill in the empty spaces and put it in the car so it'd have the correct shape when I coated it with resin.
Now that the cardboard is hard the next step was to build it up with fiberglass mat.
Here it is with the reinfoced matting.
I added some mat to the top to add strength so it wouldn't bow in easily and crack the bondo. Later I completely removed the plastic U shape that was left over from cutting out the factory pocket.
It took a lot of sanding but after about 4-5 coats of bondo it was ready. The pink marks are where I marked the pits with marker so I could go over them with bondo and a razor faster before the bondo dried.
Here are the controls in their new home!