Soooo.. where's the BMW one? lol
Hi to everyone !
First of all I would like say that english is not my first language and excuse me for any mistakes
So after a two years of carpc developing and istallations I did almost final project for my car. Of course a project can not be finished because you always want to install something else but in my case I did almost 90 percent of hardware and almost 75 percent of software.
My first installation was performed on Lexus RX300 and unforchantly I have just few pics of it. That installation was not very nice, motherboard and all stuff was under the dash with out enoufgh cooling what gave me extra problems, but with time a read this forum and I found a lot of interesting information.
Soooo.. where's the BMW one? lol
After all that I sold my Lexus and bought BMW X5 2001. At that point I realized that I have to install another carputer in my new BMW. I started to work on this project. My points were:
-it is should be single module (screen with carputer.
-it should fit under the dash at the original radio place
-it should be connected thru the original BMW radio connector
-it should look like original BMW car navigation computer
So what I did:
First of all it was custom made basel.....
- Motherboard Via EPIA TC10000
- Memory 256mb
- HDD 2.5inch 20GB
- Screen Xenarc 7 inch
- WiFi dongle
- Shutdown controller from mp3car.com store (smart one)
- power inverter from some laptop (input 10 to 24 volts with output 12volts)
(easy live with starter cranks)
- Soundcard SB Audigy 2N USB
- USB Hub 7 ports
- Griffin PowerMate sound regulator (on the front panel of the screen)
- iBus interface controller (custom made) to have possibility control sound volume and tracks from steering wheel.
- bazel - fully custom made (spend around 40 working hours to build one)
- DVD Rom some slot load panasonic (located under the screen)
- OBD II controller based on ELM chip (custom made)
- two fan's (one for processor - 5 v 0.5 amp one from some unit, another big one from some power supply 12v one to cool down whole body)
- wireless mouse and keyboard
All components exept GPS receiver, keyboard and mouse are located in one "box". I finished my project (as on the picture) just yestarday so I did not have enoufgh time to test it but I tested it all today's day and found that everything is working well.
I am using RoadRunner, FreeDrive, PhoneControl and Scan Master for OBD II diagnostic.
I rebuild original iDrive skin for RR under my conditions and add some small stuff there.
Also I connected my SB Audigy sound card (5N1) from carputer to my factory BMW amplifier (all channels separetly) and to my subwoofer. The sound quality is close to perfect (thanks to SB and good BMW factory speakers and amplifier)
What I am planing to do:
- Add USB Radio (already ordered)
- Add TV Tuner (probably, but not sure)
- Work on software (make it more table than it is - thanks to windows)
- Probably add XM
- Work on cooling system (summer is comming and if now here in Canada -10 -15 C during the summer it can be up to +30C)
yeah i hear you on that man. MN shares boarder w/ Canada and it can be extremely hot during the summer with highs of up to 100F- Work on cooling system (summer is comming and if now here in Canada -10 -15 C during the summer it can be up to +30C)
Per your install, i think u did a great job modding your dashboard. Your bezel kinda looks askewed a lil' bit. I aint knockin your hard work bro. Its just what i see.
Why do u want a carputer when u only put 20GB in. Im guessing GPS was one of your goals.