Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: 2000 Firebird Trans Am - Whord!

  1. #11
    Maximum Bitrate Dennis5587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    840
    that is only if he has clearance

    2006 Mazda 3
    Behringer DCX-2496
    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate redls1bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta Ga.
    Posts
    449
    very nice install. I really like the bigger screen, but i wanted to make it look more factory, so i am going with 7 inch mounted above the controls. if i get bored with it, i will modify it, but for now, its good. What would you think of sharing your skin with a fellow trans am driver? also, is your dvd drive using 2 usb plugs? one for data one for power maybe? im deciding on internal dvd drive or remotely located like yours.
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

    "The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

  3. #13
    Low Bitrate narandomsortofw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    59
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
    You can also swap those knobs with taller ones that are easier to grab. They light up red and everything. Much easier to adjust.
    Where did you find those knobs at? How much taller are they? I have some clearance because the lid has a recess in it. So if it's not too much bigger I can use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by redls1bird View Post
    very nice install. I really like the bigger screen, but i wanted to make it look more factory, so i am going with 7 inch mounted above the controls. if i get bored with it, i will modify it, but for now, its good. What would you think of sharing your skin with a fellow trans am driver? also, is your dvd drive using 2 usb plugs? one for data one for power maybe? im deciding on internal dvd drive or remotely located like yours.
    I have no problems sharing the skin I will post it on Monday or Wed. when I get a chance. I think I have one without the bird on it...unless you like the bird. It's finals week so it's pretty busy around here. I have the dual usb system. I really like it because of the remote location all I had to do was run 2 usbs to the front the car. I hooked a hub up to one usb and connected the data line to that. I used the other for direct power to the dvd. I was thinking about trying for a 10" screen, but I really do like the screen that I have. If you plan on using the dvd player for movies than go for the remote location otherwise just use the internal. It was a pain putting it in the glove box because the wire adapter ad like an inch to the length of the dvd system. So i had to drill in the glove box and cut out a slot in the plastic behind so the box could easily slide in and out.

    Thanks again guys for postive feedbacks.
    I got a mind like a steel Trap!

  4. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24
    looks good, now its time for a hurst comp plus shifter... those stock shifters are terrible(especially the non-factory hursts) i dunno how u still have it!

  5. #15
    Low Bitrate narandomsortofw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    59
    I have had the car for about 8 months and it's my first manual. Before this I had a 97 Saturn. So I really don't know how it's Supposed to feel. Can you give me more details on the shifter? I don't know much about the automotive side of my car...just the basics.
    I got a mind like a steel Trap!

  6. #16
    Maximum Bitrate redls1bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta Ga.
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by narandomsortofw View Post
    I have had the car for about 8 months and it's my first manual. Before this I had a 97 Saturn. So I really don't know how it's Supposed to feel. Can you give me more details on the shifter? I don't know much about the automotive side of my car...just the basics.

    Just imagine your current shifter, with less throw between gears, less rubbery feeling if shifting quickly, and just a much more precise feeling overall. When i first got my car, i had only had one automatic, all others were stick. The T-56 is def. my fav. trans ever. I loved it even with the stock shifter. Then i moved to a short stick that removed the factory rubber isolater and shortened the throw. I love it even more now!! now after 2 years with that, im going to hack about another inch off that for an even shorter throw. The only one thing thats bad, is it doesnt have the notch that the factory one does so on hard first to second shifts it will hit the console, but its a pain youll live with for the feel.

    Thanks for deciding to put your skin up! i like the bird, but its something thats a little more personal, and i would probably use the one without if its available.
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

    "The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

  7. #17
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by narandomsortofw View Post
    Where did you find those knobs at? How much taller are they? I have some clearance because the lid has a recess in it. So if it's not too much bigger I can use them.
    I had a problem gripping the stock knobs in the dash. I guarantee I'd have a problem with the knobs mounted there. I think they are from a 96-98 Grand Am. I bought them new for about $8 each. I did a write up and I'll find it when the search feature is working.

    BTW I got a Hurst Billet Pro shifter (about $170) and it's great. It gets rid of all the play and slack that you feel in the stock one. Man and machine become one. You can also adjust the side load tension on it.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  8. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24
    the standard oem shifter that you have is terribly rubbery and sticky feeling. it is a shame because the T-56 is one of the best feeling new age transmissions. its basically the same tranny as in the CTS-V, corvette and Z06, and Viper. there is a optional hurst from the factory that makes it feel better, but the aftermarket Hurst for that car feels great. you get more feel and more a mechanical clickyness to the shifter. everyone likes different shifters, personally i like a long throw but a nice tight click between gates.

    did a quick search on google

    http://www.fbody.com/cgi-bin/ls1/read.cgi?msgid=82774

    pro 5.0 is very popular, but hurst is the traditional one for a trans am. plus i driven with both shifters, the 2nd to 3rd on the hurst is better. they say the 1st to 2nd is better with the pro 5.0 but i feel it hard to mess that shift up compared to a 2nd to 3rd.

  9. #19
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
    the standard oem shifter that you have is terribly rubbery and sticky feeling. it is a shame because the T-56 is one of the best feeling new age transmissions. its basically the same tranny as in the CTS-V, corvette and Z06, and Viper. there is a optional hurst from the factory that makes it feel better, but the aftermarket Hurst for that car feels great. you get more feel and more a mechanical clickyness to the shifter. everyone likes different shifters, personally i like a long throw but a nice tight click between gates.

    did a quick search on google

    http://www.fbody.com/cgi-bin/ls1/read.cgi?msgid=82774

    pro 5.0 is very popular, but hurst is the traditional one for a trans am. plus i driven with both shifters, the 2nd to 3rd on the hurst is better. they say the 1st to 2nd is better with the pro 5.0 but i feel it hard to mess that shift up compared to a 2nd to 3rd.
    Yea, I added stiffness on the centering springs to make the 2 -3 shift more reliable. The factory Hurst isn't very good, the aftermarket one is totally different.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  10. #20
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Windows 2000 Pro on a 1GB Microdrive
    By JeremyM in forum WinNT Based
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 09:56 PM
  2. Firebird/ Trans Am MP3Car?!
    By Euclid in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 11:29 PM
  3. speed up win 2000 boot time
    By more mods in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 11:05 AM
  4. Merge Windows 2000 to new Mobo
    By grandamp3 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2002, 10:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •