Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Windows 7 CarPC, Reviewing, testing and breaking!

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71

    Exclamation Windows 7 CarPC, Reviewing, testing and breaking!

    Hi guys just building a car pc on an Intel atom dual core board. 1Gb memory, 120GB sata laptop hdd, M4 ATX.
    I though it would be interesting to see how Windows 7 runs and also how good some of the new tweaks and changes work.
    I also thought it would be amusing to try and get it running as a full carpc system and see what does and doesn't work on it. I'm not live in a car at the moment so it is an ideal time to test the theory out

    So I am listing up what works and doesn't and will do some benchmarks for speed tests.

    Anything you want testing shout up with a link and I'll try and get it running

    Working 100%

    Windows
    Installed Win 7 Ultimate N X86 RC0. no IE etc.
    Windows Boots. need to time hibernate and standby, cold boot.
    All devices detected in device manager.
    nice and snappy not as much "vista lag"
    Nice advanced power options
    soundcard is HD audio
    GFX detected correctly
    Showing as 4 core 1.60GHz system
    Ride runner installs 100% with no errors
    Winamp 5.13 installs and plays audio 100%
    RRconfig triggers UAC and loads.



    Under investigation

    Sound card issues with onboard sound.
    RideRunner is alive and kicking with sound through RDP, had to install windows and IE versions of flash. Now testing that.

    Kind of works

    Works with tweaks

    Works in Windows XP mode

    Doesn't work at all, even a little bit

    Speedtests

    Graphics

    CPU

    Memory

    I will keep this top post updated as I go through the tests.
    Anything you want testing shout up with a link and I'll try and get it running

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate Jitters333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    62
    I'm not live in a car at the moment so it is an ideal time to test the theory out?
    huh?
    and yeah I agree win 7 ftw its been built around touch screens, been using if since it first hit bit (january was it?), zero complaints boots faster that my xp partition..

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitters333 View Post
    I'm not live in a car at the moment so it is an ideal time to test the theory out?
    huh?
    and yeah I agree win 7 ftw its been built around touch screens, been using if since it first hit bit (january was it?), zero complaints boots faster that my xp partition..
    I am running it on a test bench at the moment to see what does and doesn't work, then once/if I have it something like I will put it in the car and test it on the move.
    There are a lot of touch enhancements so will see what they do for the usability

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate Jitters333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by monzablue16v View Post
    I am running it on a test bench at the moment to see what does and doesn't work, then once/if I have it something like I will put it in the car and test it on the move.
    There are a lot of touch enhancements so will see what they do for the usability
    testing it with what? I've found it will support pretty much everything that i've thrown at it, as long as its Vista compatible Except Deamon tools =/ but I believe there coming out with a win 7 version for it soon if its not already out

  5. #5
    FLAC WuNgUn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,350
    When I tried it, in installed my onboard Realtek as 'HD Audio' as well, except it's 2-channel, with a mic and digital 'in', and that's it! I couldn't get the OEM drivers to work...
    So I scrapped the W7 install.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn View Post
    When I tried it, in installed my onboard Realtek as 'HD Audio' as well, except it's 2-channel, with a mic and digital 'in', and that's it! I couldn't get the OEM drivers to work...
    So I scrapped the W7 install.
    So did you not get any sound at all from it?

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate Jitters333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn View Post
    When I tried it, in installed my onboard Realtek as 'HD Audio' as well, except it's 2-channel, with a mic and digital 'in', and that's it! I couldn't get the OEM drivers to work...
    So I scrapped the W7 install.
    What build did you use? that could be your problem.. once you get above 7077 a lot of issues like that started popping up

  8. #8
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitters333 View Post
    testing it with what? I've found it will support pretty much everything that i've thrown at it, as long as its Vista compatible Except Deamon tools =/ but I believe there coming out with a win 7 version for it soon if its not already out
    So have you run carpc software on it or used it as a normal OS?

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate Jitters333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by monzablue16v View Post
    So have you run carpc software on it or used it as a normal OS?
    So far just a normal os, so no I haven't run any frontends on it, as I said you should be testing 7077 and no other build

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71
    I am testing the release candidate as that is the current version and nearer to market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •