Right. The majority of people don't. Right now.
Just like we didn't used to have broadband or cell phones or even wireless phones.
What do we know about the likelihood of cheap, fast wireless? Here's how I see it:
1. Social networking demands always on connectivity.
2. Almost anyone with a cellphone has some form of net access.
3. Boost mobile phones have cheap, slow access.
4. iPhones, Android and Windows Mobile phones provide expensive net access.
5. The cost of that access has been falling.
Which begs the question - who is building the car PC of the future if everyone is building the car PC of today? If the future car PC is simply an evolution of today's PC, great. We don't have to worry about it.
But that's not how I see it. We can either invent the future or follow the inventors. Our choice.