One of the ways that innovation happens is through some friendly competition. I've heard many claims of fast booting systems but have seen very few actual video showing it. Here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is...
To show what hardware and what software produces the fastest boot times.
Boot: Times are measured from power on (the time at which you press the "On" button) until music is playing. Sleep is not allowed (since it still requires some power). I'd also like to see hibernate AND cold boot times if possible.
1) Can use any "common" car PC hardware.
2) Must use a "common" carpc OS (ie, no DOS)
3) Must use a "common" frontend (ie, CF, RR, nGhost, OpenMobile, revFE, etc).
4) Must show your times on video
5) You must list all hardware and software used in your contest entry. Suggesting what tweaks and how long it took you to configure it to boot that fast will be useful to others as well.
You get to put the title of "2009's Fastest Booter" in your sig. Other prizes are welcome from any sponsors.
Additional rules and definitions are welcome in order to make it fair.
Cold boot Winner: tripzero
Time: 23 seconds
Zotac ION/Atom 330 2Gig DDR2 (2x1GB)
30Gig OCZ Vertex Turbo
LinuxICE2 2.0.1 upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04
Btrfs file system
Resume from Hibernate Winner: NibbleIt
Time: 13.5 seconds
OCZ Core Series v2 SSD
TinyXP Rev 09 - option 8