Gauging Interest: Windows 7 C#-Based Front End
I've been toying around with this idea in my head, but I haven't gotten the change to put it on paper until now. Basically, I've been thinking of writing a CarPC front end that works with Windows 7's features (volume control, etc) and integrates with any smartphone (Androids, iPhones, etc). Here are a few of the features I've been thinking of:
- Log in screen that comes up when the computer starts or resumes from hibernate/standby. The password prompt would be similar to the Android's password-lock screen (connect the dots).
- If a bluetooth connection to your phone is detected (and the MAC addresses match), the log in screen will be skipped and your phone will log in for you.
- Transitions - Fades between screens, etc. (Similar to Compiz in Linux)
- Multi-monitor support - You can specify certain programs to open up in certain monitors (e.g. - have the rear monitor show full screen videos/DVDs, have a second monitor display navigation maps in full screen mode, etc), or set up a mirrored display
- WiFi support - Automatically connects to any open wireless networks and any designated WiFi networks the user chooses.
- Built in war-driving
- GPS tracking - Plots your GPS coordinates and uploads them whenever any internet connection is available.
- Most importantly, it will be skinnable and the interface will be fully customizable.
- I haven't decided if I should make this open source. But if it's not open source, I will create an API so people can write plugins.
- Basic music player features (album art, shuffle, etc)
- Delete songs by a single click, directly from the front end
- Display and edit tag information
- Play a given album or artist's music
- Switch between directories (e.g. - play from the "My Music" folder, but can also play music from a USB stick / USB hard drive / mp3 player)
- Built-in Bluetooth support for SMS, MMS, phone calls, contact lists, etc.
- When someone is calling your phone, the front end will display an accept/reject prompt with a contact picture.
- (If possible) Reads the caller's name out loud.
- Calls a given contact when you arrive to your destination
- Able to tether from your smart phone via USB or Bluetooth
- As an alternative to tethering, have the phone write information to a text file and have the computer read from that file (e.g. - Phone downloads movie times, writes them to a text file, CarPC reads the text file and displays the movie times on the screen)
- Music sync via Bluetooth/USB - The CarPC will check the music stored on the phone, and add/remove the songs from itself accordingly.
- (If possible) Send an address/location from your phone to the CarPC, and set the navigation software to go to that address.
- Once the computer shuts down, the phone will mark the current GPS location so you won't forget where you parked.
- Remote control - Use your phone as a bluetooth/USB mouse and keyboard.
- Automatically pauses the music player when navigation prompts run
- Automatically pauses the music player when sound comes from the line-in
That's about all I can think of at the moment, but I'll be adding more as I think of them. If anyone is interested or has any ideas, please do not hesitate to say so.
I'm also going to need a little bit of help coding this thing.. I'll need the following:
- Knows C#
- Can write Android applications
- Can write iPhone applications
- Can write Windows Mobile applications
- Can write Blackberry applications