Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: win ce vs. android vs. meego

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    6

    win ce vs. android vs. meego

    Hi guys.

    I'm just wondering which OS would be best for cheap CAR Pcs based on ARM processors 400-533MHZ with 128M flash ram.

    All of them now runs under Win CE OS (5.0 or 6.0) but due to popularity boost of Android and Android Market may be it would be nice idea to port it on such devices. I have read discuission on forum about BAD sides of Android for car devices, but X86 devices were discuissed which are more expensive and powerful, but less expensive devices such as based on ARM processors could benefit from using OS like Android or MeeGo.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by kadett75 View Post
    Hi guys.

    I'm just wondering which OS would be best for cheap CAR Pcs based on ARM processors 400-533MHZ with 128M flash ram.

    All of them now runs under Win CE OS (5.0 or 6.0) but due to popularity boost of Android and Android Market may be it would be nice idea to port it on such devices. I have read discuission on forum about BAD sides of Android for car devices, but X86 devices were discuissed which are more expensive and powerful, but less expensive devices such as based on ARM processors could benefit from using OS like Android or MeeGo.

    What do you think?
    you won't have access to the android market unless you or someone else does a deal with google to get it. You'll have to decide if that is or isn't a deal breaker for android. Also, can you share more details about your device. Android isn't going to run very fast on a 400-533MHz system. Does it have accelerated graphics? If it doesn't, you may want to try meego-ivi on it since it's super light and doesn't require any opengl support.

    I personally am in the process of getting meego handset to run on my igepv2 board which is 720MHz and has gpu accel and 512mb of ram. Other's have gotten meego running on beagleboards with only 256mb but they needed to enable swap.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  3. #3
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Fwiw, android market will not run on non networked devices (eg anything but a cell phone).

    To be honest, at this point I would just use a stock Linux distro, or linuxice over any of those other options due to the number of applications out there prebuilt and ready to go.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tripzero View Post
    you won't have access to the android market unless you or someone else does a deal with google to get it. You'll have to decide if that is or isn't a deal breaker for android. Also, can you share more details about your device. Android isn't going to run very fast on a 400-533MHz system. Does it have accelerated graphics? If it doesn't, you may want to try meego-ivi on it since it's super light and doesn't require any opengl support.

    I personally am in the process of getting meego handset to run on my igepv2 board which is 720MHz and has gpu accel and 512mb of ram. Other's have gotten meego running on beagleboards with only 256mb but they needed to enable swap.
    regarding your insufficient speed - Motorolla droid is run on ArmŽ Cortex™ A8 processor 550 mHz...
    Device is based on Samsung ARM processor (533 MHZ) and has 128MB FLASH RAM. I don't know if it has GPU, I'll check and tell you. I heard that MeeGo is not going to gain such popularity as Android, and has no API like Google develop (like voice recognition API). Thats the main points to choose Android as OS for that device. Bad side that Androis is not intended for using as not mobile device, so many of market soft wont work...

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Fwiw, android market will not run on non networked devices (eg anything but a cell phone).

    To be honest, at this point I would just use a stock Linux distro, or linuxice over any of those other options due to the number of applications out there prebuilt and ready to go.
    I agree with you, but networking is possible. using a linux you wont get Android software, right?

  6. #6
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by kadett75 View Post
    I agree with you, but networking is possible. using a linux you wont get Android software, right?
    By networking, I mean working out a deal with google like Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint have. I'm not sure you have that kind of money :P
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    By networking, I mean working out a deal with google like Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint have. I'm not sure you have that kind of money :P
    can you describe what deal are you talking about more specific please?

  8. #8
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,187
    Quote Originally Posted by tripzero View Post
    you won't have access to the android market unless you or someone else does a deal with google to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Fwiw, android market will not run on non networked devices (eg anything but a cell phone).
    Incorrect. The market can be fixed to work on any device that has internet access. This information is freely available all over the interwebs.
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

  9. #9
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Incorrect. The market can be fixed to work on any device that has internet access. This information is freely available all over the interwebs.


    Not that I doubt you... but Source? That would be useful information to have
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  10. #10
    And then I was mod. Tidder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    4,187
    Myself, internet, slatedroid.com
    Tidder

    Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Product Request: Android 'Froyo' 2.2 - Large Novel, not for the weak hearted
    By Samsonite801 in forum Product Suggestions for the Mp3Car Store
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
  2. Unlock Win CE for Alpine Blackbird 2
    By datacrime in forum GPS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 12:00 AM
  3. win CE gps software in carpc?
    By mm87 in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
  4. Run WinCE & XP together
    By ShawJohn in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •