Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 315

Thread: New Linux Project (windows maybe)

  1. #51
    Registered User mpattonm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Czech rep.
    Posts
    655
    Back to GPS support - Navigator only has maps for EU indeed. Maybe there is a chance it uses some standart map format so maps could be even bought. There is a demo version that can be downloaded so if there is an expert for GPS map software in this forum...
    On the other hand, Roadmap uses maps that can be bought / downloaded and as I have observed on webpage where Roadmap homepage point to, only US maps are available. Tooo bad for me as I am from Europe
    In worst case, Roadmap (since its GPL) could be possibly converted under QT.
    What do you say?

  2. #52
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    315
    I think I would stick with GPSdrive for the GPS side of things unless there is something better. The maps that can be downloaded from mapquest have a lot more detail then what I have seen on Roadmap. This is just my first impression however, I haven't really done much with either software.

    Of course GPSdrive still has a difficult system to import large areas of maps plus any large area will crunch on the diskspace. How can Streets and Trips get so much stuff into just a gig of space?

  3. #53
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    117
    Alot of compression, and Jpeg Compression on top of that. :-/ You can get away with VERY low jpeg compression due to the reletively low detail of map images. (There are not alot of colors, etc)..

    I've been playing quite a bit w/ trying to figure out MS AutoRoute, it seems like the best of the options for reverse engineering. I really hate to use something that you need Inet connectivity to use, because alot of people don't have the option, or the money to go out and buy the hardware required, though they may have the 39$ for the software..

  4. #54
    Raw Wave hijinks21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb
    Alot of compression, and Jpeg Compression on top of that. :-/ You can get away with VERY low jpeg compression due to the reletively low detail of map images. (There are not alot of colors, etc)..

    I've been playing quite a bit w/ trying to figure out MS AutoRoute, it seems like the best of the options for reverse engineering. I really hate to use something that you need Inet connectivity to use, because alot of people don't have the option, or the money to go out and buy the hardware required, though they may have the 39$ for the software..

    ya thats the best idea. I used gpsdrive a lot and i always hated d/ling the maps
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

  5. #55
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    117
    Does anyone have a clue as to the original compression method used for any of these windows solutions?

  6. #56
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    315
    Just a quick question, are both bigb and hijinks working on your own apps or are you guys just hashing out details for something you guys are working together?

  7. #57
    Raw Wave hijinks21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by adamis
    Just a quick question, are both bigb and hijinks working on your own apps or are you guys just hashing out details for something you guys are working together?

    hopefully working together if he gets his code together to let me take a look
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

  8. #58
    Low Bitrate aultl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    110
    Well I have been lurking in this thread long enough. I would like to help out anyway I can. I like the idea that hijinks and bigb have going, mabye some XML based meassage queueing (sp?). I just dropped WinXP for Linux 2.6 and loving every minute of it. I can write C/C++, Perl and bash shell scripts as well as Visual Basic. I do not have any linux development experience however i am a very quick learner. I am running Gentoo 2.6.3 with Fluxbox, as a carpc distro, I recommend Vector Linux http://www.vectorlinux.com . I had no problem installing it on my EPIA 800. I did not however, try to set up the sound card.
    Aultl
    [====---] - 65% complete
    Status: Configuring Software
    VIA Epia 800mhz, 256Mb ram, 10Gb HD


    Quote of the Month: "I see the problem, [The RAID controller] is trying to rebuild the array with good data from a failed drive." -- HP Support

  9. #59
    Raw Wave hijinks21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by aultl
    Well I have been lurking in this thread long enough. I would like to help out anyway I can. I like the idea that hijinks and bigb have going, mabye some XML based meassage queueing (sp?). I just dropped WinXP for Linux 2.6 and loving every minute of it. I can write C/C++, Perl and bash shell scripts as well as Visual Basic. I do not have any linux development experience however i am a very quick learner. I am running Gentoo 2.6.3 with Fluxbox, as a carpc distro, I recommend Vector Linux http://www.vectorlinux.com . I had no problem installing it on my EPIA 800. I did not however, try to set up the sound card.
    nice get in touch with me or him. Sound in 2.6 is easy because alsa is right in the kernel this time.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

  10. #60
    Variable Bitrate nottastocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Shenandoah, VA
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb
    I guess that's the big question. What is a "core" supposed to handle? If the core handles audio, then we have an issue w/ people like me that actually use 5.1 cards, or specific output cards. Anyone using SoundBlasters USB audio hubs? Another problem right there.

    We could also risk losing alot of portability by attempting to re-write an audio engine for windows. It's not like we can just use simple MCI API to output audio. Of course I could very easly add the ability to play WAV's on both platforms, if I do, then it's up to someone out there to code up an mp3 decoder that plays nicely w/ the plugin scheme. Not exactly a task the "average" programmer is up to.
    this project, if done to be complete, not just easily and quickly, will require more than an average programmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigb
    What I WAS planning :
    Have MP3 support built in, but yet very pluggable/skinnable.
    Have Video support built in, and again, skinnable/pluggable.
    my idea:
    have an audio/video subsystem, not unlike that of winamp. have the core have teh basic ability to output decompressed audio, then have `driver' plugins to handle the different audio formats (same principle for video) to be passed back to the core after processed. If we limit ourselves to one format, what happens if someone needs another?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb
    Everything else, would be up to anyone who chooses to write plugins. GPS, Traffic, Internet support, Email, etc.. The plugin method is still up in the air as far as I can see. I didn't plan on allowing a plugin direct access to the audio/video, though methods can be created to allow an application to pass wav/mp3 audio for the subset to play.

    The reason for this :
    When playing audio from one application, often it is no longer available to other applications on Linux. (yes, there are work arounds for this, but on a default install, this is usually how it is). My thoughts were if I had the main app playing an Mp3, and say the GPS plugin wanted to "speak" a direction, the main app could lower/pause the volume on the playing mp3, and then output the GPS wav/mp3.
    I agree with you. The core is the only piece that should have access to both the audio and the video. The 'driver' plugins can decompress the input formats and then we can write functions to have the core play the audio(/video).

    Quote Originally Posted by bigb
    And as far as KDE, I'm just using it as my winmgr, none of what I have written so far depends on KDE at all, and is also pretty easily portable to GTK.
    How about SDL? It can run in X, and it can also run on Windows, and best of all, it can run in DirectFrameBuffer. (Hell, it even runs on Macs)

    Quote Originally Posted by bigb
    As far as telnet, it was never intended that telnet be used as a way to pass audio, it was simply one way for an application to pass useful information to the main application. (it also serves as a good way to test various inputs, such as IR, and custom keyboards).
    I see. I'm thinking of a plugin as an actual dynamicly loaded library (.so/.dll format)

    -- Damn, this was a long post.

Similar Threads

  1. Linux App Progress (windows also?)
    By hijinks21 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 02:33 PM
  2. Anyone using an operating system besides Windows or Linux in their car?
    By Squeezer in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 01:33 PM
  3. Linux or Windows
    By lrat in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2002, 08:43 AM
  4. Windows or Linux?
    By kevmo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2001, 09:11 AM
  5. Windows vs Linux vs DOS
    By SeenaStyle in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2000, 04:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •