Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Graphic Artist / Skinner Needed!

  1. #11
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileh1
    You should contact Febsperanze
    Yes I am also quite impressed by Febsperanze's work...

    I actually contacted him prior to starting this thread, but disappointingly he doesn't have the adequate time resources to help me.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate mobileh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    454
    That's a shame - throw more money his way, its suprising how time can become available when the hourly rate goes up...

    Here's what I have learned here, the skinning is everything, if you have a decent app, not having major holes etc, then the skinning quality becomes a dominat factor in its success. Feb's worth a couple hundred an hour if you want this to fly...

    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    Yes I am also quite impressed by Febsperanze's work...

    I actually contacted him prior to starting this thread, but disappointingly he doesn't have the adequate time resources to help me.
    .//Daren
    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

  3. #13
    Variable Bitrate NoPistonPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    360
    But leave Feb some time to work on new FrodoPlayer pieces in the meantime.
    1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

  4. #14
    The SkinFather febsperanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileh1
    That's a shame - throw more money his way, its suprising how time can become available when the hourly rate goes up...

    Here's what I have learned here, the skinning is everything, if you have a decent app, not having major holes etc, then the skinning quality becomes a dominat factor in its success. Feb's worth a couple hundred an hour if you want this to fly...
    No, it's not about money.

    I'm very flattered that he has asked me to skin his program and I am really impressed with the demo. However, I'm also overwhelmed with work sometimes, and the program seems to be needing a lot of time. It's one thing to skin without pay; there's no responsibility involved. But if I have promised someone that I deliver, I WILL deliver. In this case, I don't want to disappoint god of cpu because of the time constraints.

    God of cpu, I wish you all the best. Maybe you can contact more mods. He's very good in skinning as well.
    Brushed Metal Skin
    http://www.geocities.com/febsperanza]
    MIA at the moment
    [please email me instead of pm]

  5. #15
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileh1
    That's a shame - throw more money his way, its suprising how time can become available when the hourly rate goes up...
    Alas, this is a privatly funded venture and I've decided against seeking outside venture capitalists at this point so all compensation will have to be in the form of the product's potential, which potentially is worth millions .

    This project isn't really about the money. It was started because of the great potential in having a completly customizable and programmable computer in a car and just the lack of complete and stable software that can actually be used safely while driving. The commercial aspect of the software is just what enables me to keep working on this for 40+ hrs a week. I expect all the people I'm working with to have the same motivations too... Do it because you love carputers and believe in the potential of the product to revolutionize what people think about putting a PC in a car, do it at a professional level because people are paying you to do so.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

  6. #16
    Maximum Bitrate mobileh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    454
    You cant have it both ways, the open source route will get you motivated people who share your vision and will work for free, the commercial route tends to attract people that have mortgages to pay and need compensation.

    Best of luck with the project, I hope to purchase it soon and give it a test drive. We are really in need of a viable commercial product.

    This is a very difficult market to get into, there are two camps as far as I have found, those that want to tinker and mess around themselves, these guys are and will always be less interested in a commercial product that the voluminus output of people like Frodo.

    Then there are the guys that want to buy something at Best Buy and have them install it and it just work...

    If you can convince one of the vehicle manufacturers into using your software you will be sitting on millions, if not the market is really quite small.

    The biggest competitor you are up against is GM/Ford/etc These guys are spending a lot on the R&D for their NG vehicles.

    Get yourself infront of those guys and show then what you have, work with a hardware vendor to get it into a steel box that doesnt look like a homegrown system and you are in with a chance to make millions.

    This is still geekish, but it will be much bigger, but it has to go beyond mp3/gps, and its not ODBII.

    I was talking to Woz recently, he just bought a couple of new Prius's (dont worry, he still has his Hummer....) to play with the electronics in those. They have some *really* well thought out in-car electronics.

    PM me if you want to talk more. I wish you well in this venture.

    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    Alas, this is a privatly funded venture and I've decided against seeking outside venture capitalists at this point so all compensation will have to be in the form of the product's potential, which potentially is worth millions .

    This project isn't really about the money. It was started because of the great potential in having a completly customizable and programmable computer in a car and just the lack of complete and stable software that can actually be used safely while driving. The commercial aspect of the software is just what enables me to keep working on this for 40+ hrs a week. I expect all the people I'm working with to have the same motivations too... Do it because you love carputers and believe in the potential of the product to revolutionize what people think about putting a PC in a car, do it at a professional level because people are paying you to do so.
    .//Daren
    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

  7. #17
    Maximum Bitrate mobileh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    454
    I didnt mean to try and talk for you Feb..

    Quote Originally Posted by febsperanza
    No, it's not about money.

    I'm very flattered that he has asked me to skin his program and I am really impressed with the demo. However, I'm also overwhelmed with work sometimes, and the program seems to be needing a lot of time. It's one thing to skin without pay; there's no responsibility involved. But if I have promised someone that I deliver, I WILL deliver. In this case, I don't want to disappoint god of cpu because of the time constraints.

    God of cpu, I wish you all the best. Maybe you can contact more mods. He's very good in skinning as well.
    .//Daren
    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

  8. #18
    Maximum Bitrate Marsupial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    763
    What is the status of both the software and the seeking for a skinner...?
    -Mars

  9. #19
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    The software should be entering a BETA testing phase by the end of August which will mean it will be as functionally complete as the final version will be, except it will have more bugs.

    I have already recieved a couple responses, but am still accepting applicants. I am going away on a buisness trip tommorrow until Monday, July 19th and will probably be out of computer contact for the most part until then, but I will accept applicants up until that point.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

  10. #20
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    MobileH1,

    I definitely don't agree that you can only be well motivated if youíre developing an open source product for free. In fact I think the best software is made when you have people who both believe in what they do and have the unquestionable support of others expressed through software sales as well as the responsibility to create a stable product for the project to be a success. Of course, most people will not want to agree with this as who wants to say that the person getting paid to do something is better then the person who is willing to do a similar thing for free.

    I totally agree that there are two camps of carputer users and they have traditionally used different software. I don't yet believe this has to be the case. They both want to be able to do most of the same things, MP3, DVD, GPS, Vehicle Dynamics, etc. Also, show me one DIY who would rather have a product that they had to tinker with to get the same functionality of one that already just worked. They will trade off some usability for features, but these two things do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. The problem as I see it is that no software has succeeded in delivering all this in a way that truly makes sense to do while driving, even if youíre pretty computer illiterate, and leave in enough modularity to allow the more computer literate to do the things in the way they want to. This where I hope to make my market. I donít think this is simple, but I currently think the possibility is there to please most of the people most of the time with just a single product. Regardless though, I will have at least convinced myself of whether this is true or not soon enough.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Amplifier Needed?
    By c0rrupti0n in forum Newbie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 04:04 AM
  2. My project for the day - advice needed
    By ddt in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 08:51 AM
  3. 320x240 graphic LCD - interfacing
    By MP3IAN by Ian Gregory in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2002, 07:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •