Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 167

Thread: Anyone looked into ReadyOn for XP boot?

  1. #21
    Raw Wave rando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by gork
    They are always talking about "instant on" "instant off" whenever they talk about the product. I don't imagine they would be trying to push a product that did anything less. To me this means that we ought to be looking at 10s or less to boot/resume/whatever.

    Bottom line is that we can keep speculating back and forth about it or just wait until I install it and see how it works for sure
    Unless they flash your bios your still gonna pay the time to post. On my M10k I think post alone is 10-15 seconds total from power on.

  2. #22
    Maximum Bitrate carabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by rando
    Unless they flash your bios your still gonna pay the time to post. On my M10k I think post alone is 10-15 seconds total from power on.
    but if it's 10-15 sec it's still way better than 30-40. 10 sec. is about time it takes my pioneer hu to read an mp3 cd.
    Current Status: For Sale

    Specs
    - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
    - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
    - DeLorme GPS (sold)
    - Power Inverter (sold)
    - Pioneer HU (sold)

  3. #23
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    64

  4. #24
    C4M
    C4M is offline
    Maximum Bitrate C4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    824
    The currently unwritten benefit for us from this (if it works), is that there is no longer a need for shutdown controllers. We'll be able to simply cut the machines throat, rather than leave the system running, hibernate, or shut the system down gracefully.

    w00t I say. W00T!

    C!
    http://carpc.riposte.net
    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

  5. #25
    Constant Bitrate Needstorage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by C4M
    The currently unwritten benefit for us from this (if it works), is that there is no longer a need for shutdown controllers. We'll be able to simply cut the machines throat, rather than leave the system running, hibernate, or shut the system down gracefully.

    w00t I say. W00T!

    C!
    Well.. What about this: XP Embedded already lets u do this. You can run a read-only boot partition on a harddisk that does not save state. So you can already 'cut the machines throat'. Only side effect is, you have to 'install' this feature from the beginning of your boot image unlike the tool described above, that allows you to enable the InstantOn state at a time you choose.
    Needstorage
    --------------------------

    Who the hell is general failure?!?
    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

  6. #26
    C4M
    C4M is offline
    Maximum Bitrate C4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by Needstorage
    Well.. What about this: XP Embedded already lets u do this. You can run a read-only boot partition on a harddisk that does not save state. So you can already 'cut the machines throat'.
    The other differentiator is the fact that I'm running XPPro - not XPE. There was a comment above that this thing will work for XPPro.

    Go Gork!

    C!
    http://carpc.riposte.net
    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

  7. #27
    Constant Bitrate Needstorage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by C4M
    The other differentiator is the fact that I'm running XPPro - not XPE. There was a comment above that this thing will work for XPPro.

    Go Gork!

    C!
    I know, I know... just wanted to share...
    Needstorage
    --------------------------

    Who the hell is general failure?!?
    And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

  8. #28
    Raw Wave Defiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Temple Terrace, Fl.
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by C4M
    The currently unwritten benefit for us from this (if it works), is that there is no longer a need for shutdown controllers. We'll be able to simply cut the machines throat, rather than leave the system running, hibernate, or shut the system down gracefully.

    w00t I say. W00T!

    C!
    I cut power to my WinXP Pro carputer all the time and have never had an issue with corrupted files. I really hope this does work for our systems as I would have no problem spending $25 to have a sub 15 or 20 Second boot time on my setup.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

  9. #29
    C4M
    C4M is offline
    Maximum Bitrate C4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiler
    I cut power to my WinXP Pro carputer all the time and have never had an issue with corrupted files. I really hope this does work for our systems as I would have no problem spending $25 to have a sub 15 or 20 Second boot time on my setup.
    Ditto. My machine has no swap file, and has never been gracefully shutdown, (except for when I've been installing software). I'm interested for the boot speed.

    I'll leave the shutdown controller in simply to delay the shut down a little - but mine isn't set up to shut the machine down. It's really a shut-down-delayer.

    C!
    http://carpc.riposte.net
    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

  10. #30
    Mac Car Moderator kandyman676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    813
    exactly. I will be interested in how this software tests out!
    "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

    Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

    My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
    Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Similar Threads

  1. Opus, windows won't boot now.
    By xBrady in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
  2. Oh where have all the Shutdown Controllers gone (and boot time)?
    By SuperAJ in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 10:57 PM
  3. boot problems
    By tracker92 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 04:21 PM
  4. Using DOS and 98 at once, can I toggle at boot time with a keypress?
    By bombboyer in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 12:13 AM
  5. Enabling/Disabling Setup via boot disk?
    By gizmos in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2000, 11:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •