Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: BartPE

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate GingerPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    533

    BartPE

    Just stumbled across this: -

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Seems to let you create a bootable Windows XP environment on a single CDROM (ie < 700Mb). Anyone ever considered using this for a carputer?

    - Given it boots off read-only media it'd presumably remove the need for clean shutdown.
    - Looks like you can configure "plugins" for it, so for example a Frodoplayer plugin could likely be made for it.
    - It's made to boot off CDROM but I guess it could also be made to boot off memory stick/card etc.

    Not used it myself, but tempted to give it a go. Just wondered if anyone had already considered it?

    I'm guessing though that it doesn't include Windows media etc by default as it's a rescue type disk, but I see no reason why the correct DLLs couldn't be added to it?

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPrince
    Just stumbled across this: -

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Seems to let you create a bootable Windows XP environment on a single CDROM (ie < 700Mb). Anyone ever considered using this for a carputer?

    - Given it boots off read-only media it'd presumably remove the need for clean shutdown.
    - Looks like you can configure "plugins" for it, so for example a Frodoplayer plugin could likely be made for it.
    - It's made to boot off CDROM but I guess it could also be made to boot off memory stick/card etc.

    Not used it myself, but tempted to give it a go. Just wondered if anyone had already considered it?

    I'm guessing though that it doesn't include Windows media etc by default as it's a rescue type disk, but I see no reason why the correct DLLs couldn't be added to it?
    Yesterday, I had thought of the very same.
    This is what I already found out:
    - booting from USB-devices (stick, USB-cdrom, etc) is not possible.
    - booting from hard disk seems to be possible, but I don't know yet if the used partition is read-only, or at least there are no open files, which have to be synced.

    Just search for "pehdinst cmd" (PE-HD-installer) to get an idea on what it does.

    I hope I can configure the PE-installation to use my PSone LCD on my VIA Eden board in the car and also that the booting process is fast, when using a hard drive.

  3. #3
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPrince
    Just stumbled across this: -

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Seems to let you create a bootable Windows XP environment on a single CDROM (ie < 700Mb). Anyone ever considered using this for a carputer?

    - Given it boots off read-only media it'd presumably remove the need for clean shutdown.
    - Looks like you can configure "plugins" for it, so for example a Frodoplayer plugin could likely be made for it.
    - It's made to boot off CDROM but I guess it could also be made to boot off memory stick/card etc.

    Not used it myself, but tempted to give it a go. Just wondered if anyone had already considered it?

    I'm guessing though that it doesn't include Windows media etc by default as it's a rescue type disk, but I see no reason why the correct DLLs couldn't be added to it?
    You'd use a slipstreamed Windows install that includes drivers, software, etc along with BartPE.
    The problem with BartPE is that you're booting from a CD which doesn't read as fast as your hard drive. You also wouldn't be able to tweak it the way you want (your favorite desktop or screensaver, specific Windows behaviors like single-clicking, icon configurations, etc.) and that sort of thing.
    However, you could possibly use a BartPE image on a CF drive, perhaps. I don't know if that's ever been attempted or not.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    515
    I use the BartPE for doing tech and diagnostic work on systems and it works well and I have yeat to try custimizing it but you are suppose to be able to customize it

  5. #5
    Clover Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,549
    yeah, you can customize it quite extensively. theres the 911 cd forums that have tons of plugins for it. WinPE loads very slowly, you guys probably won't like it for in car computer use
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate RS3RS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    361
    I want to try a copy of Damn Small Linux in the car...

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate GingerPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale
    yeah, you can customize it quite extensively. theres the 911 cd forums that have tons of plugins for it. WinPE loads very slowly, you guys probably won't like it for in car computer use
    Yeah I've used it since I posted the original message. It is good for rescue disk et al, but it does take quite a while to boot - even booting directly off hard disk (which incidentally you can do to get about a 150Mb OS footprint).

    Problem is it has to do hardware detection because it doesn't already now what you've got. Now, if there were some way to pre-configure the hardware, like I dunno import some registry settings into the image or something? Haven't had time to play more.

    Definately needs work though, but remember it can boot off hard disk etc.

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  8. #8
    Clover Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,549
    Quote Originally Posted by RS3RS
    I want to try a copy of Damn Small Linux in the car...
    and what apps would you run on it?
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •