Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 87

Thread: Why is OEM GPS so far ahead of PC software?

  1. #61
    Raw Wave RoyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    3,534
    Hey 12V...

    I havent been using MM anymore...

    I can comment for FreeDrive.

    Fredrive is high quality software. If you put time into a good skin and stuff it can be just like a good OEM software- ON THE OUTSIDE.

    The inside however, is the Destinator Engine. That sucks. Maps arent the best, (they are provided only by Destinator) routing isnt the best (its the only think available for my part of the world but it isnt amazing), not that many POIs, and so forth...

  2. #62
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiredwrx

    The next problem is the "Lexus Carputer". Look at how much work goes into a Carputer now. On top of that, lexus will have to service the system. While Lexus can certainly create a bulletproof system, they already have one. If they wanted to offer a Lexus Carputer, they could offer a retrofit of the lexus nav system. Lexus has the resources to produce a retrofit unit/or even units that will fir older cars. They don't, because there is no market for it, OR, it is too much of a pain. And, if they offered a retrofit kit, they wouldn't have to create a PC type software to run on it.

    I guess my point is, that if they wanted to offer a "Lexus Carputer" for older/used vehicles, they could do it already, with out producing a PC type software.

    Also, big companies count all thier beans. Not just the ones that come in, but the ones that go out as well. Development costs, installation, component cost, maintanance costs, everything. I think we can all see that it is just not "Cost effective" to develop a PC software, and/or sell Lexus Carputers. At least not right now.
    When I was talking to the Research and Marketing VP at SEMA, this is one of the themes I touched on. Development costs and cost effectiveness are of course a big factor, but if you are to consider the big picture right now, car manufacturers are NOT being cost effective and are in fact increasing their development costs.
    Having a universal gps/infotainment system that is capable of running on all the cars out there would make such systems several times cheaper than any manufacturer is able to do right now. Such universal system would most likely be based on some sort of computer design. The reason that none of the manufacturers want to do that is that they are AFRAID. They use their gps/infotainment systems as one of the selling points. Quite often the systems are not that good, but they are still "unique" and that's what any manufacturer is striving for. Although I personally consider that fear rather ridiculous (SEMA guy agreed with me ), it is there.
    My guess is that it will take an outsider to force them to see it this way. When carputer systems become more standardized (that might take sometime) and systems appear that are easy to install/use right out of the box, even companies like Lexus will have to take notice.

    P.S. Almost forgot, another fear that car manufacturers voiced and that I could not quite understand, was the proper separation of the infotainment system from the rest of car electronics... That was their serious concern. Weirdos.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  3. #63
    MySQL Error MatrixPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Beach City, Socal
    Posts
    4,053
    Watch MS S&T, it will be come one of the best GPS for PC.

    By comparing between S&T05 with Routis, the routing itself is much better (less run around), althought Routis is older software and already has good routing compare to hummmmmmmm ... Destinator.
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 600E@750/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

  4. #64
    Raw Wave RoyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by rushnrockt
    P.S. Almost forgot, another fear that car manufacturers voiced and that I could not quite understand, was the proper separation of the infotainment system from the rest of car electronics... That was their serious concern. Weirdos.
    I think the concern comes when you join universal infotainment (Gps and whatnot) with car electronics... it means that suddenly my U$100,000 BMW has not only the same GPS navigation as my U$25,000 ford, but it also has the same electronics! (Somewhat, at least)

  5. #65
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by rushnrockt
    When I was talking to the Research and Marketing VP at SEMA, this is one of the themes I touched on. Development costs and cost effectiveness are of course a big factor, but if you are to consider the big picture right now, car manufacturers are NOT being cost effective and are in fact increasing their development costs.
    Having a universal gps/infotainment system that is capable of running on all the cars out there would make such systems several times cheaper than any manufacturer is able to do right now. Such universal system would most likely be based on some sort of computer design. The reason that none of the manufacturers want to do that is that they are AFRAID. They use their gps/infotainment systems as one of the selling points. Quite often the systems are not that good, but they are still "unique" and that's what any manufacturer is striving for. Although I personally consider that fear rather ridiculous (SEMA guy agreed with me ), it is there.
    My guess is that it will take an outsider to force them to see it this way. When carputer systems become more standardized (that might take sometime) and systems appear that are easy to install/use right out of the box, even companies like Lexus will have to take notice.

    P.S. Almost forgot, another fear that car manufacturers voiced and that I could not quite understand, was the proper separation of the infotainment system from the rest of car electronics... That was their serious concern. Weirdos.
    There is a "SEMA Guy". I have been there many years, and never met the "GUY"

    Yes, they are increasing their development cost, and the price of their end products as well.

    And of course there will never be a STANDARD for car entertainement for the most part. Every manufacturer wants to be better then the others. That is how they make sales. Any edge they can gain, they want to take advantage.

    If I dumped hundreds of thousands, or millions perhaps, of dollars into developing something that makes me unique, why would I want to save some money so that I can be like everyone else.

    Michael

  6. #66
    Variable Bitrate 12Vsystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    338
    Watch MS S&T, it will be come one of the best GPS for PC.
    I'm not going to hold my breath, We have had nothing but problems with Streets and Trips. I am about to pull it off our website.

    Nothing can be changed the menu's are way to small and each time the application starts I have to manually initialize the GPS. I think I'll have more luck working with people on the forums to get a nice Iguidance or MM setup.

    No one has posted any screenshots yet, I'd really like to see how some of these setup look once they have been skinned and tweaked.
    Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
    http://www.858graphics.com

  7. #67
    Raw Wave RoyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    3,534
    12V, are you ignoring me?

    Try FreeDrive, it is the best for CarPC in terms of interface I think... basically it is all skinnable (reason for me to switch from MapMonkey)...

  8. #68
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyN
    I think the concern comes when you join universal infotainment (Gps and whatnot) with car electronics... it means that suddenly my U$100,000 BMW has not only the same GPS navigation as my U$25,000 ford, but it also has the same electronics! (Somewhat, at least)
    Simply no. ECU and the rest of the car electronics have nothing to do with infotainment system, so that concern can exist only on the level of wire interference which is just silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiredwrx
    There is a "SEMA Guy". I have been there many years, and never met the "GUY"

    Yes, they are increasing their development cost, and the price of their end products as well.

    And of course there will never be a STANDARD for car entertainement for the most part. Every manufacturer wants to be better then the others. That is how they make sales. Any edge they can gain, they want to take advantage.

    If I dumped hundreds of thousands, or millions perhaps, of dollars into developing something that makes me unique, why would I want to save some money so that I can be like everyone else.

    Michael
    Jim Spoonhower is the name, look him up. I actually had another thread posted about the discussion we had about the possible laws. He makes quite a few presentations at different autoshows, so now you know who "The Guy" is, off to the rest of the question.
    Unique does not equal better or more popular. Like I was saying, they are not worried about the fact that their "good" product will get replaced by a "bad" product, just something not as "unique." To top it off, the approach of everyone-for-themselves means that they cannot sell cheap systems, which means that most people are not even going to consider them which means they cannot lower the price/increase volumes... which means that the stuff stays expensive and they are missing out on expanding a new market.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  9. #69
    Raw Wave RoyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    3,534
    "Simply no."? I disagree with you, my opinion, your opinion!

    You dont understand their view, I can relate. ECU isnt everything!

    Having a standard unified system removes uniqueness and adds sharing of technology.

    Why answer in such an obnoxious way? geez

  10. #70
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyN
    "Simply no."? I disagree with you, my opinion, your opinion!

    You dont understand their view, I can relate. ECU isnt everything!

    Having a standard unified system removes uniqueness and adds sharing of technology.

    Why answer in such an obnoxious way? geez
    Didn't mean to be obnoxious, but you will REALLY have to explain to me how your audio/gps system happens to be intertwined with the ECU, ABS, airbags, lights or anything else. So as far as interference of infotainment system with car systems, I just don't see that as a plausible concern. Your Escort should not think it has a V8 just because it has the same GPS as your BMW. So that is still a no for this being a real concern.

    As far as uniqueness concern, it makes sense on the surface of it to me, but then Dell and HP both sell computers with the same software, yet they both find a way to distinguish themselves, cars have even more ways to be distinguishable than computers. PLUS, at the very least they can all have same hardware backbone (mini-ITX with C3 or whatever else) and different software execution. That way at least the hardware side is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper.

    And again, I did not mean to be obnoxious.

    By the way, to emphasize it again, uniqueness and interference are not related concerns in any away, and you make it sound like it is, please explain.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Similar Threads

  1. Best GPS software for carputer?
    By dazuck in forum GPS
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
  2. OEM GPS Modules.
    By IntellaWorks in forum Hardware Development
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 06:29 AM
  3. Best GPS software?
    By Shortman in forum GPS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:55 PM
  4. Anyone have screenshots of hard-to-find-screenshots of GPS software?
    By Phat Justice in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2001, 08:56 AM
  5. USB DVD + Radio Tuner + OEM GPS
    By gguy in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2001, 11:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •