Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Project64 and Via Mini ITX?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    36

    Project64 and Via Mini ITX?

    I searched and could not find an answer to this, so please don't flame me. I have noticed that several members are running the Nintendo 64 emulator on their carputers. I have a Via Mini Itx and the 1200mghz processor and the performance while trying to run this emulator is horrible. The video freezes and the sound skips. Do I need more computer power to run this? I think quite a few folks here on the board run this setup and I havent heard of anyone with problems other than me. I also have 512meg of ram to back everything up. Thanks for any help in advance!

  2. #2
    Mobile Impact Creator reddeath30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fontana, California
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by megadivers
    I searched and could not find an answer to this, so please don't flame me. I have noticed that several members are running the Nintendo 64 emulator on their carputers. I have a Via Mini Itx and the 1200mghz processor and the performance while trying to run this emulator is horrible. The video freezes and the sound skips. Do I need more computer power to run this? I think quite a few folks here on the board run this setup and I havent heard of anyone with problems other than me. I also have 512meg of ram to back everything up. Thanks for any help in advnace!
    Here are the recommended minimum requirements for Project 64 version 1.6

    400Mhz+ Pentium2 CPU
    64MB+ RAM
    Basic 3D graphics (e.g. V3, TNT2, G400)
    PC gamepad, preferably with an analogue stick

    As you can see, it requires extremely low end hardware. I dont know if you can or not, but you might want to increase your video ram, its probably shared with the system ram. The biggest thing is the fact that it requires a 3D video card. You may not have a powerfull enough video card.
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by reddeath30
    Here are the recommended minimum requirements for Project 64 version 1.6

    400Mhz+ Pentium2 CPU
    64MB+ RAM
    Basic 3D graphics (e.g. V3, TNT2, G400)
    PC gamepad, preferably with an analogue stick

    As you can see, it requires extremely low end hardware. I dont know if you can or not, but you might want to increase your video ram, its probably shared with the system ram. The biggest thing is the fact that it requires a 3D video card. You may not have a powerfull enough video card.
    Yea, I saw how low the requirements were for the emulator. The video is integrated on these little Via boards so I don't think I can add any. I will check out the Via site though to see what they say about the video card. Thanks for the insight!

  4. #4
    FLAC -zip-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ontario/Canada
    Posts
    1,293
    Turn off your sound and try it. For some reason the sound processing is a big problem. Red what do you recommend as a sound plug in?

    Running my MII 10000 with a PCI GForce FX 5200 128 mb ram on the card system board has 512mb ram. I can get 60+FPS without sound, as soon as I load up a sound plug in, I have the same results as Mega, FPS goes down to about 15FPS and the sound skips. It has something to do with the sound.

    My sound card is an Audigy2 NX

    **** also Mega, save your money on the vid card if you buy a 64bit board like I did.I was getting about 40-50FPS without sound playing with the standard CLE226 video that you have.
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

  5. #5
    Mobile Impact Creator reddeath30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fontana, California
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by -zip-
    Turn off your sound and try it. For some reason the sound processing is a big problem. Red what do you recommend as a sound plug in?

    Running my MII 10000 with a PCI GForce FX 5200 128 mb ram on the card system board has 512mb ram. I can get 60+FPS without sound, as soon as I load up a sound plug in, I have the same results as Mega, FPS goes down to about 15FPS and the sound skips. It has something to do with the sound.

    **** also not Mega, save your money on the vid card, I was getting the above results well about 40-50FPS without sound but playing with the standard CLE226 video that you have.
    I just use all of the default plugins and settings, which is Jabo's Direct 3D8 1.6 for audio, Jabo's Direct Sound 1.6, and Jabo's Direct Input7 1.6. I prefer to run my roms in windowed mode. I have spoken with another forum member on this issue and they also had a Via board and experienced the same thing you are describing, so I think the video might not be up to par. I know the N64 emulator is excellent; probably the best PC based game console emulator Ive ever found, but there are alot of other really good emulators out there that you might consider if you can't get this resolved.

    Check out Mobile Emulator that I wrote, It plays NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Sega Genesis, x32, Master System and Game Gear all in one program, totally touch screen friendly. The N64 emulator that I use happens to be Project 64 version 1.6. Check out this post:
    True Touch Screen Friendly All Nintendo/Sega Emulator
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by -zip-
    Turn off your sound and try it. For some reason the sound processing is a big problem. Red what do you recommend as a sound plug in?

    Running my MII 10000 with a PCI GForce FX 5200 128 mb ram on the card system board has 512mb ram. I can get 60+FPS without sound, as soon as I load up a sound plug in, I have the same results as Mega, FPS goes down to about 15FPS and the sound skips. It has something to do with the sound.

    My sound card is an Audigy NX2

    **** also Mega, save your money on the vid card, I was getting about 40-50FPS without sound playing with the standard CLE226 video that you have.
    Interesting, I have an Audigy2 ZS. I wonder if that would help? I am just using the Via on board sound at the moment.....

  7. #7
    Mobile Impact Creator reddeath30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fontana, California
    Posts
    1,142
    -Zip- > Did you ever figure out what was causing Mobile Impact to display weird, and how to fix it, Im getting other users having this same prob.
    Sorry dont mean to thread jack.
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate PORTUGAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    PORTO
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by reddeath30
    -Zip- > Did you ever figure out what was causing Mobile Impact to display weird, and how to fix it, Im getting other users having this same prob.
    Sorry dont mean to thread jack.
    It happened to me in my office while i was changing resolution, i never got it to work right. (Re-install solved )

    As for performance issues, i also have a epia m1000 and i dont have a 3d video card and most games work fine.

    The sound is the only downside, it never worked properly
    Here in Portugal we have great weather, lots of brunnets, party a lot,drink a lot....
    http://img138.echo.cx/img138/896/bannerjoshua5dy.jpg

  9. #9
    FLAC -zip-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ontario/Canada
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by reddeath30
    -Zip- > Did you ever figure out what was causing Mobile Impact to display weird, and how to fix it, Im getting other users having this same prob.
    Sorry dont mean to thread jack.
    Yep I fixed it, its the font size....

    They have to use standard font size under properties/Advanced/general. errr 96dpi I think.
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate 12Vsystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    338
    Project 64 won't work well on a VIA motherboard.

    I use the MII 1.2Ghz with 512mb ram and even on the lowest res setting the game is choppy and slow.

    I have sucessfully been able to run Project 64 on the MII as long as I use a good PCI Graphics cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •