License-> I think, it should be datalex's work to write a SDK, or a activeX dll you can bind into any (VB,VC,.net,delphi etc.) enviroment. But as long, as they don't have this, i will work on my own as open source...
The Project: I am not sure, if I will make a commercial Produkt out of it.
In the Moment it is to less to sell...
What I have:
- Full OBD2 & CAN supporwith nice diagnostic Functions and even a Popup when something is wrong with your Car. (You can swith off the Engine warnig Light, if you want :-)
- A CD/DVD mp2/mp3 Player with 180 Sec. buffered "Anti Shock" (Windows Mediaplayer can't do that, I think)
- Seperate Video (DVD/HD) Playback on the TV out for the Back (My Doughter loves it)...
- 100% working Navigation (Travelbook based / SDK) with GPS & TMC
- A nice Linksys WL Router, so I can update my Music
- Docking Station for my I-Pod
(The Cellphone is over BT with an FWD BT Device)
-VIA Epia Board
-Selfmade Power Supply with 8 - 16 V input and 12 V out, also delayed Powerdown after Ignition is off.
- OBD2 / CAN Interface (USB)
- 8" Touch TFT (VGA + USB)
- HQCT Tuner (USB) (Not working now)
- Slimline Slot-In DVD (IDE)
- I-Pod Docking station (USB)
- Linksys WLan Router with Linux on it
- Selfmade 2,5" HD Antishock & Heated external Case ( 2 x 2,5" 120GB SATA)
- GPS Receiver with TMC (RS232)
- 16 Port I/O Device (USB), to switch some thinks...
- Hardware Watchdog
Software: OS-> XPe (SP2) with EWF
The rest is self written and working nearly perfect. The Software is full Plugin based. In the Moment I am working on a new GUI. It will be 100% Flash Based (VC Form with embedded Flash). That look nice and is better than all this MS Stuff.
Most of the Software is Open Source, a lot of Stuff is from my other Projects and not under GPL etc.
But to answer your Question: XPe or Linux embedded are the best solutions for a CarPC System. Don't use XP prof. / home etc. They are not made to work in Cars...
P.S.: With HORM (Hybernate Once Resume Many) XPe is booting in 15 - 20 Seconds...