Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: map point is old news

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2

    map point is old news

    I work as a sub contractor and thought I would implement the car pc into my work vehicle. I have used many diferent gps devices and know that roads do change over time. Its 2008 now, rite? I do work all over the U.S. And I'm tellin ya that map point 06 is way, way behind. Take maryland for instance! if you go to the surrounding areas of dc like upper marlbro or rockport your gonna notice that acording to MP 06 that your in the woods. What about herndon virginia, one of the companies I work for (camden estates) regularly is a direct cause for These updates. They make appartment buildings- and I mean everywhere. I really need these updates cause I'm not buying a Gps and Streets and trips is way to hard to run while driving. Besides $200 bones is way to much for software that doesn't get you where you need to go.
    Although let me say that SD is really really cool and I'm glad its part of my life.

  2. #2
    FLAC strohj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pearland
    Posts
    1,345
    the next version of mappoint is going to come out soon... and streetdeck has mentioned many times that they are looking at a different mapping engine for their 2.0 version.. although no release date has been set for that at all

    it would be cool if we could get just map updates similar to what you are able to get for all the traditional GPS systems...

    Oh and you might also find that almost all GPS maps are outdated by a couple of years...
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate DAE51D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    199

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by strohj View Post
    the next version of mappoint is going to come out soon... and streetdeck has mentioned many times that they are looking at a different mapping engine for their 2.0 version.. although no release date has been set for that at all

    it would be cool if we could get just map updates similar to what you are able to get for all the traditional GPS systems...

    Oh and you might also find that almost all GPS maps are outdated by a couple of years...
    I recently purchased Centrafuse, and I have to say, SD blows away CF in that department. I was quite shocked how $hitty CF's NAV is. Talk about hard to use, ugly and basic. YUK!

    Some things that SD has that I took for granted:

    • SD actually SAYS the names of streets and routes and stuff. EXTREMELY useful. CF just gives you basics, "turn left" etc. not "turn left on state route 4-0-5".
    • SD is a fairly bland/ugly GUI compared to CF in most cases, but the CF maps are horrid. straight up vector graphics. ugly colors. and these unbelievably gross "patterns" for things like parks and stuff. It seriously looks like some of the old Commodore64 games.
    • setting up a route in SD is significantly easier than in CF.
    • Setting up 'home' in SD is easy, but it's soooo ghetto-tastic (pressing the "H" button, come on)
    • the virtual earth overlays are super fantastic (I just wish I could use them over 40MPH -- see previous rants/bugs on this I've mentioned). I'd really like to see the digital mod for this developed further and taken under SD's wing and not left to a third party developer (who did an excellent job by the way).
    • SD has the overlays of POI on the maps. CF has this stupid menu system. completely lame.
    • CF displays everything in YARDS! WTF?! SD is sane and says miles/feet.
    • CF requires you to load maps! How retarded. So if you want to cross state lines, you have to "Plan" and go into some special mode so it will reload a new map. SD is just seemless as God intended it to be.



    http://daevid.com/gfx/tC
    Infill G4. StreetDeck.
    Installed 09/17/07

  4. #4
    Newbie jlindeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by DAE51D View Post
    I recently purchased Centrafuse, and I have to say, SD blows away CF in that department. I was quite shocked how $hitty CF's NAV is. Talk about hard to use, ugly and basic. YUK!

    Some things that SD has that I took for granted:

    • SD actually SAYS the names of streets and routes and stuff. EXTREMELY useful. CF just gives you basics, "turn left" etc. not "turn left on state route 4-0-5".
    • SD is a fairly bland/ugly GUI compared to CF in most cases, but the CF maps are horrid. straight up vector graphics. ugly colors. and these unbelievably gross "patterns" for things like parks and stuff. It seriously looks like some of the old Commodore64 games.
    • setting up a route in SD is significantly easier than in CF.
    • Setting up 'home' in SD is easy, but it's soooo ghetto-tastic (pressing the "H" button, come on)
    • the virtual earth overlays are super fantastic (I just wish I could use them over 40MPH -- see previous rants/bugs on this I've mentioned). I'd really like to see the digital mod for this developed further and taken under SD's wing and not left to a third party developer (who did an excellent job by the way).
    • SD has the overlays of POI on the maps. CF has this stupid menu system. completely lame.
    • CF displays everything in YARDS! WTF?! SD is sane and says miles/feet.
    • CF requires you to load maps! How retarded. So if you want to cross state lines, you have to "Plan" and go into some special mode so it will reload a new map. SD is just seemless as God intended it to be.


    I own both SD and CF. CF built in NAV (Destinator) does not appeal to me either. CF has plugins that allow you to use either MP or IGuidance. I will say that with IG, SD doesn't even come close in comparing to CF in the Navigation department. IF SD supported IG, it would be a toss up. do to that fact alone I use CF.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate DAE51D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by jlindeman View Post
    I own both SD and CF. CF built in NAV (Destinator) does not appeal to me either. CF has plugins that allow you to use either MP or IGuidance. I will say that with IG, SD doesn't even come close in comparing to CF in the Navigation department. IF SD supported IG, it would be a toss up. do to that fact alone I use CF.
    So, I have iGuidance installed and used it stand-alone a couple times. I REALLY don't see what all the hype is about. It looks just as crappy as CF's default "Destinator". Boring vector graphics. Big tacky Red/Yellow/Blue buttons. Does it say the full street names and such -- I can't recall? I think I tried it with the CF plugin too and it was just the same as stand alone, but now in a smaller window. I am also tired of Destinator's obnoxious british voice (and you can't change it AFAIK). And how they fade out the music to let her talk then fade it back in. Also, if I remember right, it didn't work with the G4's radio -- so she would talk but the radio didn't mute or fade. I also notice that CF doesn't always get a GPS signal -- like I sometimes have to dick around with the settings and turn it to some other setting and then back again and save for it to "catch". SD just always works (as long as I have enough satallites). bah.

    Well, to each his own I guess, but having thought the grass might be greener on the CF side, I personally realized that it wasn't -- in this particular feature.

    http://daevid.com/gfx/tC
    Infill G4. StreetDeck.
    Installed 09/17/07

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate Udonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    71
    I have to agree with DAE51D about taking SD navi for granted. It does leave alot to be desired (epseically with the POI lookup), but there are many features that I've come to like. I think that SD nav does look better than IG, and the voice directions is MUCH better than IG. It gets annoying when IG reads a street name in a different voice than the voice that's giving the direction, and it sounds so robotic. I did however like how easy it was to find POIs in IG and the fact that it actually has places that I go to in its database, like Best Buy. If only we could get some sort of fusion between the two....

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate DAE51D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    199
    Yeah, this whole PC navigation thing kills me. Like iGuidance and Map Whatever, Streets & Trips, Destinator and even the stand alone ones like Nuvi and TomTom... They all look like 10 year old technology. The PC ones especially SUCK. If you'rea company like iGuidance, and this is ALL YOU DO, then why isn't this thing just KILLER?! Like it should have EVERY conceivable bell and whistle and polish and freakin' tell me where I'm going before I even decide myself ;-)

    amazing that they're as crappy as they are and that each one is still as deficient in their own stellarly obvious ways.

    *sigh*

    http://daevid.com/gfx/tC
    Infill G4. StreetDeck.
    Installed 09/17/07

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    128
    Well Garmin is coming out with there PC Mobile version next month.
    Looks and functions exactly like their handhef units.

    Now if CF or SD could get a plug in for that...It would make everything complete.

    My bet is CF will probably prevail in this department, since SDs turn around time for adding features is about 5 years ("testing" as they put it)

    I haven't bought either yet. But have used both. And i gotta say when CF 1.5 is out. i know what i'll be putting my money down on.
    Too bad cause SDs interface is pretty awesome.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    782
    I've used a lot of different ones, and CoPilot is the best for PC, no questions asked.

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate JasonMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    405
    Anyone have any luck updating Map Point with Streets & Trips database? Been reading it is theoretically possible, but SD doesn't play nice with it. Just asking
    _______________________________________________
    All installed, and ready for visitors. Infill G4 in a 2007 Saturn VUE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 09:09 AM
  2. Map Point Problems
    By ThunderStick in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2006, 07:48 AM
  4. Map Point`s map in Map monkey?
    By Rocket in forum GPS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:31 AM
  5. map fonts + great news
    By XMen in forum Map Monkey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •