Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: Speeding Up SD Load

  1. #41
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by parksgm View Post
    Ok. I'm game. Let's work on it.

    When is it crashing?

    Crashes during the middle of a song playing, sometimes while a music video is playing. I have yet to have it crash when not in SD, so i def think it is SD related. I just don't understand why it was fine with no hiccups for sometime, and then all of a sudden everytime i start the damn thing get it running for 15-20minutes, crash. And I'm not talking about just SD closing and going to windows, the whole system completely shuts down.

    At first I thought maybe a virus, but I used my external which has a backup all music,movies,videos, to my home pc and ran a virus scan against the external drive and nada.

    what if I just unistalled SD and reinstalled?

  2. #42
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Autockr989 View Post
    Crashes during the middle of a song playing, sometimes while a music video is playing. I have yet to have it crash when not in SD, so i def think it is SD related. I just don't understand why it was fine with no hiccups for sometime, and then all of a sudden everytime i start the damn thing get it running for 15-20minutes, crash. And I'm not talking about just SD closing and going to windows, the whole system completely shuts down.

    At first I thought maybe a virus, but I used my external which has a backup all music,movies,videos, to my home pc and ran a virus scan against the external drive and nada.

    what if I just unistalled SD and reinstalled?
    Yes, that is what I am wanting you to do, however, I don't want you to lose any settings or configurations. If you are not using mappoint at all, then sure, uninstall and reinstall the way I suggested. If you are using mappoint, I wouldn't want you to lose your virtual earth folder. That is why I prefer renaming to uninstalling. You know better than I which is better for you.

    The older digital mods will cause issues with the newer SD. Mainly the autohide ones. They cause LOTS of crashes..... for me at least. So during testing, no digital mods!

    The only problem I am having right now is a sleep/wake up issue, and I gaurantee you it's the mobo/windows and not SD (having the same problem with just windows running).

    I also think I should quantify these load times. We are trying to load SD at the fastest possible time. In order to do that, windows can't be doing anything else. So SD in the startup folder will not give you 2 second start times. In order to test streetdeck, you must finish windows loading and all startups (speedfan, xport, any tsr's, etc.). I would suggest putting the SD tray into the startup folder. SD seems to have less trouble starting if that is already running. Once your harddrive light is no longer blinking, then start SD and time it. I also find the second load is faster than the first, so maybe shutdown and start again. Once you have the 2-3 second load, THEN you need to back it up and then start working with Windows to get it faster.

    Edit: I haven't tried it yet, but would love to see how SD would react if you made everything "read only". I, too, had SD running great for a month, and then out of the blue, crashes for that parameter out of range error.
    My opinion is my own.

  3. #43
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
    Although I no longer use SD I must say very nice find . I had my fair share of trouble with MapPoint and I'm fairly certain this was the cause.

    You sir are not only an optimist but a gentleman and a scholar
    I was on a blackberry and it didn't reply correctly.....

    The "Thank you!" was to you! Really appreciated. I want us all to have SD in tiptop shape when SD 2.0 is released next month....just in time for the one voice release! And it'll have Visteon support, HQCT support, celebrity voices......ok....I'm cracking myself up now....

    I know, ever the optimist.
    My opinion is my own.

  4. #44
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    Yes, that is what I am wanting you to do, however, I don't want you to lose any settings or configurations. If you are not using mappoint at all, then sure, uninstall and reinstall the way I suggested. If you are using mappoint, I wouldn't want you to lose your virtual earth folder. That is why I prefer renaming to uninstalling. You know better than I which is better for you.

    The older digital mods will cause issues with the newer SD. Mainly the autohide ones. They cause LOTS of crashes..... for me at least. So during testing, no digital mods!

    The only problem I am having right now is a sleep/wake up issue, and I gaurantee you it's the mobo/windows and not SD (having the same problem with just windows running).

    I also think I should quantify these load times. We are trying to load SD at the fastest possible time. In order to do that, windows can't be doing anything else. So SD in the startup folder will not give you 2 second start times. In order to test streetdeck, you must finish windows loading and all startups (speedfan, xport, any tsr's, etc.). I would suggest putting the SD tray into the startup folder. SD seems to have less trouble starting if that is already running. Once your harddrive light is no longer blinking, then start SD and time it. I also find the second load is faster than the first, so maybe shutdown and start again. Once you have the 2-3 second load, THEN you need to back it up and then start working with Windows to get it faster.

    Edit: I haven't tried it yet, but would love to see how SD would react if you made everything "read only". I, too, had SD running great for a month, and then out of the blue, crashes for that parameter out of range error.
    I think i'm going to completely uninstall and reistall. I don't run mappoint so the only settings I have is well minor check boxes. No big deal. I'll do that this weekend.


    I was wondering if the load time would be faster if you booted directly into SD. Not drop it in start up but follow the instructions in the FAQ to "boot directly to frontend"

  5. #45
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Autockr989 View Post
    ... And I'm not talking about just SD closing and going to windows, the whole system completely shuts down....

    You sure turn off automatic reboot on failure. This will show the dreaded BSOD which has good info on it. Will probably help you guys figure out which dll or what error is making it crash crash
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  6. #46
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    I think we have a ghost among us. Can just anyone roam threads invisible? Or does it take special permissions, like say, a developer would have?
    You can turn on invisible mode in your user control panel. Anyone can do it.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  7. #47
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    I was so caught up in my plan, that I didn't actually read this. I would still suggest a fresh clean SD load, but maybe go through regedit and clean out any Streetdeck references also.

    Or, save time, reformat and reload. You have my vote.
    I think I'm first going to uninstall and clean out the registry.

    Then work with oh lets say one or two skins that I never had an issue with.

    If the problem still persists, throw the ******* thing out of my car, j/k reformat and reload. I'll keep ya posted.

  8. #48
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    After I finished CPIII (carputer v3), I had to go to the airport to fly to Idaho. As soon as I started the car, the computer died. Found that the power cable for the hybrid drive was broken and arced. This corrupted windows and I had to use a backup drive (the 120gb seagate). After returning, I restored and got the hybrid running, but it never worked quite right. After having the sleep/wakeup issues, I decided to start over. Here are the steps I went through.....

    Hardware configuration to start: Monitor, Computer, Keyboard, Mouse. Nothing else plugged in.

    Reformat and load windows mce 2005/sp2.
    loaded mb specific drivers and programs.
    updated windows all the way to current and loaded virus/firewall.
    Downloaded Streetdeck demo and installed. DID NOT START PROGRAM
    Downloaded and updated to 1.1.1.6
    Started program and registered SD.
    Loaded Mappoint full from SD disk and deleted locator folder
    Loaded Acapela from SD disk
    Copied backup of Virtual Earth folder, voice file, and options.sdo into new SD folder (my documents)

    Benchtested everything. SD loaded 2-3 seconds. Backed up SD folders.

    Installed in the car.
    Plugged in all the USB and updated and loaded all drivers.
    Tested SD. 2-3 second load.
    Plugged in speakers and confirmed locations (Kino has plug recognition)

    Started SD. No configuration changes, everything works, 2-3 second load, looks and sounds fantastic! (edit: oh yeah, sleep/standby/wakeup issues fixed!)

    Also loaded office 2003, adobe, DVD encoder, and voice recognition somewhere in there.

    Hope this helps.
    My opinion is my own.

  9. #49
    FLAC is for flaccid parksgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    After I finished CPIII (carputer v3), I had to go to the airport to fly to Idaho. As soon as I started the car, the computer died. Found that the power cable for the hybrid drive was broken and arced. This corrupted windows and I had to use a backup drive (the 120gb seagate). After returning, I restored and got the hybrid running, but it never worked quite right. After having the sleep/wakeup issues, I decided to start over. Here are the steps I went through.....

    Reformat and load windows mce 2005/sp2.
    loaded mb specific drivers and programs.
    updated windows all the way to current and loaded virus/firewall.
    Downloaded Streetdeck demo and installed. DID NOT START PROGRAM
    Downloaded and updated to 1.1.1.6
    Started program and registered SD.
    Loaded Mappoint full from SD disk and deleted locator folder
    Loaded Acapela from SD disk
    Copied backup of Virtual Earth folder, voice file, and options.sdo into new SD folder (my documents)

    Benchtested everything. SD loaded 2-3 seconds. Backed up SD folders.

    Installed in the car.
    Plugged in all the USB and updated and loaded all drivers.
    Tested SD. 2-3 second load.
    Plugged in speakers and confirmed locations (Kino has plug recognition)

    Started SD. No configuration changes, everything works, 2-3 second load, looks and sounds fantastic! (edit: oh yeah, sleep/standby/wakeup issues fixed!)

    Also loaded office 2003, adobe, DVD encoder, and voice recognition somewhere in there.

    Hope this helps.
    Great. That should be a good tutorial for those reloading/installing SD for the first time.

    I can't go into as much detail, but I followed a similar process after having a bunch of trouble about four months ago with my SD installation. Basically, I reloaded Windows, then SD, then upgraded SD, then loaded Mappoint, then installed my remaining drivers. SD seemed to work much more consistently after those steps, and I haven't had much problem with it since. Now that I have moved the Microsoft Locator folder, SD starts up in less than 10 seconds, and hibernates much more quickly as well.

    I also have yet to get the Mappoint error that caused Mappoint to fatally quit that I used to have on quitting SD since I moved the locator folder...and it would happen almost every time I quit before moving the folder. From what I read in other places on the 'net, the error was related to a process timing out, and I bet that it had to do with the WiFi Locator being unconnected.

  10. #50
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by parksgm View Post
    I also have yet to get the Mappoint error that caused Mappoint to fatally quit that I used to have on quitting SD since I moved the locator folder...and it would happen almost every time I quit before moving the folder. From what I read in other places on the 'net, the error was related to a process timing out, and I bet that it had to do with the WiFi Locator being unconnected.
    Probably so.

    After trying several frontends, I don't think anything can match Streetdeck when it runs right. With the combination of Voice/iMon/Button/Gesture control along with immediate response of the faster computer, I really couldn't be happier. (oh yeah, no configuration changes needed is a REALLY big plus!)

    For some reason, the realtek equalizer and the winamp equalizer don't play nice together, so while I like RR, I don't use it much now.
    My opinion is my own.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will there ever be SD for Australia???
    By jdmagoo1 in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 05:42 AM
  2. Indexing in SD does it work for anyone???
    By meth68 in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
  3. Full list os Sd load parameters
    By geeky_hawkes in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 06:29 PM
  4. FS: M10000, Morex 3688, 40GB 2.5", SLOT Load dvd/cdrw, 512mb ram
    By JuMpMaN6235 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 11:53 AM
  5. OPUS point of load
    By lostreception in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •